Share | 

Resin and foam trays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darkin
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Resin and foam trays   Thu Sep 28 2017, 20:52

I want to buy a carry case
do I have to watch out for something for my resin modes or can I just use the standard foam trays?
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Thu Sep 28 2017, 21:05

I haven't found any resin that is particularly different from metal or plastic in how well a carrying case handles it (outside of the weight of metal vs. the easier bending of resin and plastic).

I personally tend to favor firmer foam for metal and softer more pliable foam for resin, but I know people who generally prefer one or the other with no connection to the models they store in it.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Thu Sep 28 2017, 22:30

I greatld recommend the Feldherr Cases. They are cheaper than GW, and of greater quality IMO.

A lot of their foam mats are customizable : you have to dig the shape of the hole, to match your needs. It's really cool.

Archon

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 01:37

I would second the Feldherr Case - I have found them to hit a nice point of being way nicer than GWs while being far more affordable than KR or Battlefoam.
Army Transport is also okay, but I probably do prefer Feldherr.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 01:45

+1 to Feldherr (special mention for the backpack <3) and mostly custom foams (10 / 40 / 100mm).

Dark eldars aren't all square like most other armies and tend to broke bend very easily, especially failcast

This wombo combo changed my life, would highly recommand it.

Tell me if you want more info &/or pictures

Dark eldars ~4k points / Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 06:12

I have yet to invest in cases for my army, and was still debating between KR and Battlefoam. I like the look of those because of the custom DE trays. @masamune I would very much appreciate more info on which trays you are using from Feldherr, especially things like our vehicles, flyers and monsters.

Project log: Kabal of the Warded Blade
Back to top Go down
Darkin
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 07:29

yes thanks for the advice
Feldherr will make buyingvry easy, i mean they are a German Company!
the only fear i have is that the Large Monster/Tank Plug Trays wont fit my raiders/ravangers because i gluedon the sails
anyone had a Problem with that
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 12:11

@hekatrixxy : I'm using mostly custom 60mm (height) foams for most models :
- I store standard infantry in standard GW tray, Others fragile (mandrakes, incubes, arlequins) standing up in 60mm.

- Reavers & scourges : 60mm tray, store lying down but 2 in each hole

- Beasts : Standing up / lying down depending on size, 60mm

- Vehicules : all in 60mm : venom standing up, raiders lying down, razorwing lying up.
All bases / flags / sails / sockprow / etc. pinned but not glued

Don't forget to buy bottoms ( https://www.feldherr.net/fs010bo-10-mm-0-4-inch-figure-foam-tray-full-size-bottom-topper/a-40364/ ) when buying custom foam, they need to be glued on.

All trays took me around 6-8 hours to set up for ~3k points ; but it was worth it, from the moment I used only 1 miniature has broken (multiple transport) vs 3-8 brokes/bends per travel with GW cases

@Darkin : Maybe carefully cut glued parts and use magnets ?

Back to top Go down
Darkin
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 13:13

okay so I have 3 Razorwings, 1 Raider, 3 venoms, 10 incubi and 15 Mandrakes
how many 60mm trays should I get
will 2 do the job or do I need 3??
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 16:41

1 Infantry tray and 2 customizable 6cm trays should do.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:10

+1 from Mppqlmd.

But buy like 5-6 bottom tray. With customable you can reuse what you remove, that's what I did for my trays ^^

But care, I'd recommand a standard case for fliers (and not a backpack). Backpacks tray are halved and you can't pack well multiples fliers in one half trey.

Here's a pictures that show how I'd recommand sorting (especially venoms on the right) to gain max place.

Back to top Go down
Darkin
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 17:52

i want to buy the hard case, XL for may tanks and 108 minis
Ill put my vehicles in the 2 60 mm trays and ill buy a 50mm plug tray for my incubi and mandrakes cuz i dont need trays for 108 minis
@masamune how did you get those round corners in the trays?
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Fri Sep 29 2017, 21:18

The trays are made of tiny little foam cubes. You can displace them as you want. It's the main advantage of Feldherr : customization at its finest.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Sat Sep 30 2017, 02:09

@Darkin small bits glued 2x1 or 3x1 glued together. Small bits harvested.
Was a pain. Doesn't fit in backpack

Back to top Go down
TheHostwiththeMost
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Sat Sep 30 2017, 06:01

if it was anything other than our dark kin, I would say magnetic case.  However, nothing seems to really work for our vehicles outside of foam.

If possible though.  Go magnetic.  Its SOOOOOOOOO much better.  Like a million times better.  Unpacking takes a fraction of the time and it doubles as a display tray.  I use small metal sheets hook and looped to the bottom of a toolbox.  I also use small money box's for my troops.  Its amazing.  I have only one battlefoam case left and I dread using it.

They make a super fancy magnetic case/display case.  Its about the same price as the battle foam stuff (100-200$). Ill see if I can remember the company.  Im the type to mgyver my own stuff though.  Got like 4 metal boxes at a flea market for 8$. They fit perfectly into the canvas shopping bags too. Can stack 2-3 in one bag.
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Mon Oct 02 2017, 22:47

@TheHostwiththeMost Do you have some pictures ? Can't get my head to picture how it works, and the place it takes.

Thanks

Back to top Go down
TheHostwiththeMost
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Tue Oct 03 2017, 01:12

I can get some pictures tonight.

Here are two (reviews) of the major brands that make cases like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho6TkFu1iZY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcAAqbRrow

Those are going to be about the price of similar size foam cases.  However, you can totally make your own.  I literally just have a small money box (like this):

I got a couple of them at a flea market super cheap.  Just took the trey out and I put models on both the bottom and the lid because I put magnets on the base.  The whole box fits nicely into one of those fancy canvas shopping bags:

(Random pic of the type of bag I am talking about, you can usually get them for less than a dollar at grocery stores)

Alternatively I bought a $15 tool box and a $3 sheet of metal with some hook and loop (velcro) strips.  I cut the metal to fit the toolbox and velcro'd it down.  Now it hold all my annoyingly tall sylvaneth models.

People even do this with metal baking sheets.

I can get pics of my actual stuff later tonight.  At work for another couple hours, but hopefully this helps give you a better idea.

Basically, I like to approach things from outside whats marketed towards the hobby.  Its all the same crap, but if they sell it in an LGS, its like 400% more expensive than it should be, all because they know the hobby is for people with "extra" money lol.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Tue Oct 03 2017, 14:33

My brother plays guard and has a metal tool case. He put little neodymium magnets under his guys so he can just put them inside and They won't move. I assume something like that.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
clively
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Resin and foam trays   Wed Oct 04 2017, 14:31

I use batlefoam cases and trays.

The custom trays for the vehicles, reavers, scourges, warriors and wyches are perfect. Just magnetize the sails on the raiders/ravagers - which is very easy to do.

Resin and foam trays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: