HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ikol
Sybarite

PostSubject: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Aug 25 2017, 04:17

So, one thing that has consistently turned up on our forums since the advent of the FOC lot is that we would like some LoW options.

Many have suggested Vect and his Dais as an option (a prime candidate indeed), and I believe a somewhat general consensus that a Tantalus with 3 additional Dark Lances hanging off of it would suffice.

Something akin to the Masterpiece created by our very own Dark Architect, The Eye of Error.
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t997p25-asdrubael-vect-high-lord-of-commorragh

Another thing showing up with alarming regularity is that we could do with some more variety in our transports.  "We're a regular army with 2 fast boats."  So, any ideas for insane Transports?  Perhaps something akin to the Vampire Raider (a Corsair favoured GIANT FLYER with Transport Capacity of 30 models, for those uninitiated).

What I'm looking for here are fluffy and/or crunchy suggestions for new vehicles of the Dark Kin.

So, tossing my own hat into the ring to start, I present for the eyes of Commoragh;
The Taerys Hunter:

Woe to our enemies. We'll tear them apart regardless.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Tue Aug 29 2017, 11:00

I always thought it would be cool to have what i call a "Collector".

Basically a large curcular cage, with spikes at the top very similar to the top of the Dawn Of War Slave Chamber:

It would be massive, Lord Of War scale, and would essentially be a rear-of-the-lines collection point. It would emerge with a raid, and while everything else was actually raiding it would be a forward command point.
The main purpose though would be to house cpatives. Raiders could swoop in, steal some people, drop them off inside this cage, and then dart back for more.
Thematically I think it makes sense for the Dark Eldar to have some kind of collection point for the harvest, and mechanically it would give Dark Eldar a defence point. Something in the narrative of the game we could defend rather than always being the attacker.

I see it basically as a massive cage, a walkway above where Haemonculi and Wracks walk and operate defensive weapons (whilst also stabbing prisoners with cattle-prods to keep them contained) and a command platform either suspended or floating above the cage.

I think Fly but not incredibly fast, multiple Splinter Cannons as defence weapons, upgradeable to Disintegarators, reasonable but not amazing Toughness and Wounds (as defines Dark Eldar vehicles) but with a decent protective forcefield. Something slightly better than a Nightshield.
Primary effect I think would be a slave-taking mechanic for the army. Give it an insane negative moral modifier aura effect, but as really short range to start, but the range increases with each prisoner taken, maybe through enemy models fleeing in the Morale phase?
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Tue Aug 29 2017, 11:11

I'll also briefly add, in a seperate post to keep it seperate and obvious, the "Spear. Better name needed.

The basic concept is an armoured but not really armed transport.
The Dark Eldar can still raid in space, or might need to assault orbiting defences, that kind of thing, and a Raider simplky won't do the job of getting fighters across a void. So, the "Spear is basically a boarding torpedo. Transport capacity of ten, maybe a Twin Heat Lance at the nose for punching through an armoured hull.
The secondary and more useful use for use, would be as a landing pod. Fire these torpedos down onto a battlefield (or through a hull if you're fighting on a space station/ship themed board!).

Good armour, but immobile once landed. Its basically a drop pod, but with an extra silly rule: the "Spear can target an enemy unit when it lands. It gets to fire it hull-breaching nose weapon (the Twin heat Lance) first before it lands. It the unit is destroyed, the "Spear lands and deploys as normal. If the unit is not destroyed, both target and torpedo take damage which may harm the passengers of the torpedo.
Back to top Go down
Logan Frost
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Tue Aug 29 2017, 15:42

The Gla'as Kahnnon (name WIP):
Basically the overgrown lovechild of a raider with a ravager.
Transport capacity of 25, open top as usual, raider toughness 5 more wounds.
It is roughly the size of a voidraven bomber, armed with 4 PGL, 3 DL and 3 DC.
If all the DL hit the same target, the target and 2 other within 3" take d6 mortal wounds.
If all DC shoot the same infantry unit, the target and 2 other infantry umits within 3" take 6 S6 AP-3 D2 hits.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Wed Aug 30 2017, 00:02

I want a Large WIDE vehicle with Nets inside the middle, think of the Tantalus but more flat and a net/cage in the middle.

This vehicle is made to capture slaves.

It would be a Flier with no guns, but if it moves over a unit you do 1D6 for every 2 infantry model in the unit round down so a 5man would only be 2 dice, does not work on MC or Vehicles. For each roll of a 6 you remove one model from play.

You have a counter of this model, for each number (up to 10) you get +LD and it has a LD aura (like the Tantalus) for your army. But once it hits 10 you gain 3 Victory points and it is removed from the game but not as a casualty.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Lord Johan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Wed Aug 30 2017, 08:12

amishprn86 wrote:
I want a Large WIDE vehicle with Nets inside the middle, think of the Tantalus but more flat and a net/cage in the middle.

It would be a Flier with no guns, but if it moves over a unit you do 1D6 for every 2 infantry model in the unit round down so a 5man would only be 2 dice, does not work on MC or Vehicles. For each roll of a 6 you remove one model from play.

You have a counter of this model, for each number (up to 10) you get +LD and it has a LD aura (like the Tantalus) for your army. But once it hits 10 you gain 3 Victory points and it is removed from the game but not as a casualty.

That is HILARIOUS. Makes you realize how much more could be done with our fluff.

If we had a slaver unit it would be nice if we could torture and kill some of those slaves on the battlefield for buffs to make the fight more dynamic (say -1 slave token for +1 to wound in fight phase for Dark Eldar infantry or -1 slave for -1 to enemy ld). But I would take just "VP if you take x slaves" too.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Wed Aug 30 2017, 11:49

If we do that I say remove PfP completely and make us use slave tokens for those buffs. But then we get back to our 6 edition PfP, which they removed since it took to much notekeeping to remember which unit killed which unit....

But I like the idea of the slave capturing vehicle.
I also want to see a small transport fighter, similar to a venom but without the guns but slightly better fighting skills, something like a starweaver, without guns and maybe another attack.
Or actually make the venom into 3 vehicles all with a transport capacity of 6,
1 melee oriented with speed and quite a few attacks (wych cult version)
1 coven venom, (though and strong, slightly slower, maybe 1 worse bs but higher str melee attacks)
1 kabal venom (like we have now, possibly with the option to exchange the venom canon for a different weapon?)
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 17:44

Lord Johan wrote:
amishprn86 wrote:

That is HILARIOUS. Makes you realize how much more could be done with our fluff.

If we had a slaver unit it would be nice if we could torture and kill some of those slaves on the battlefield for buffs to make the fight more dynamic (say -1 slave token for +1 to wound in fight phase for Dark Eldar infantry or -1 slave for -1 to enemy ld). But I would take just "VP if you take x slaves" too.

I like, i might make this vehicle, i have extra Venoms/Raiders and a Jetfighter i will literally never use unless i play a 10k point game.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 18:00

You could make it work like the old Black Coach from WHFB, that gained additionnal effects from the magic he drained.
Here, it would gain abilities with the amount of slaves taken :
- LD debuff (because you never have too many ld debuffs)
- CC buffs for our troops
- Faster PFP chart for nearby troops
- Extra victory points
- etc

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 19:38

Now if only that giant net from the sky could catch Guilliman. Then when you spend a slave token you could say "that was your warlord by the way"
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 20:38

Lord Johan wrote:
Now if only that giant net from the sky could catch Guilliman. Then when you spend a slave token you could say "that was your warlord by the way"

Given that Gulliman is the size of a small bus, I think getting him in a net might be a little tricky.

I could be wrong but this seems like exactly the sort of stunt that would result in your net-vehicle nosediving into the ground. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lord Johan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 21:38

Right. Maybe it should have harpoons for bigger catch too?
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 21:59

To be honest, when I first read "wioth a big net" I figured you were going to something designed for catching b ig things! Small people can be picked up easily enough. What we need is something designed for whale hunting!
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Thu Aug 31 2017, 21:59

Lord Johan wrote:
Right. Maybe it should have harpoons for bigger catch too?

lol!

Also, I now want to see someone convert the prow weapon on a Raider to a harpoon gun.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 14:30

If you guys have a better design/idea go for it, let me know i might make it.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 17:23

Suggestion - make it as planned, but make the net in the middle launchable. So it can either wrap around and capture a group of Infantry, or maybe one (?) Monster.
Back to top Go down
Lord Johan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 18:26

Ok so here is basically how I imagined that

mspaint:

Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 19:08

I wish you'd signed that "AsdRubaEl VeCt, agE 7"
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 20:23

Lord Johan wrote:
Ok so here is basically how I imagined that

mspaint:

Yeah kinda like that, but i was thinking also there was another way to go about it.

I have 2 ideas.

1) Like the Tantalus with a net

2) Like War of the Worlds but it be a Coven unit for slaves/torture and it is more like agiant Talos/Cronos with a holding cell in the middle (like war of the worlds.)

I might make both.

let me know what you like better.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Fri Sep 01 2017, 20:57

You mean the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds? Suspect
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Sat Sep 02 2017, 15:20

I made a 3D paint model for the 1st idea, but idk if i can upload a 3d paint model, or if i should make a 10sec video showing it off, let me know what i should do.

Edit:

Jimsolo wrote:
You mean the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds? Suspect

Yes, Where he was sucked up.

Edit 2: I honestly didnt think you guys would think about the older one, i've seen it many times but its a bit older now.

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Sat Sep 02 2017, 19:32

It's always jarring for me when someone mentions 'seeing' War of the Worlds.  I always think of it as a radio play first, and it takes a second to remember it was adapted for cinema.
Back to top Go down
amishprn86
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Sat Sep 02 2017, 22:07

Here is a test for the Tantalus version

https://i.imgur.com/Sh6upiD.gifv

Harlequins 3k+
Dark Eldar 10k+
Tyranids 10k+
SOB 3k+
Painted 4k points
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Sat Sep 02 2017, 22:19

Looks pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
Lord Johan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...   Sun Sep 03 2017, 11:47

amishprn86 wrote:
Here is a test for the Tantalus version

https://i.imgur.com/Sh6upiD.gifv

Cool ship! What scale are you thinking, bigger than Tantalus if it's LoW and Tantalus is just Heavy Support?
Back to top Go down

The Tantalus was the brainchild of a mad Archon with a penchant for engineering...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: