raider vs venom

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Chippen
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 13:17

@FuelDrop wrote:
Personally, I just put 10 Kabalites in a raider, throw in a Splinter Cannon and Blaster, give the raider a Lance, and call it a day.

I'm rolling 2x5 kabs with a blaster each in the same way. Dissie upgrade if I can afford it.

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 14:08

I'm a big fan of the Raider (dissie) with 10 kabs (DL) inside. For 200 points, you got some nasty first turn shooting power.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 14:10

@Mppqlmd wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Raider (dissie) with 10 kabs (DL) inside. For 200 points, you got some nasty first turn shooting power.

Are you still using your 'pirate' method? Opening up with long-range fire for the first couple of turns and only then moving in close?
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 14:42

Yep.
I've changed it a bit recently : i started taking quite a lot of Mandrakes, and DSed them turn 3 (or turn 4 on 1 game), when i got rid of priority targets with long ranged guns, and started closing in. This creates a huge threat buff that can easily panic an opponent that has already lost his big toys to Darklight.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 15:04

i plaY fairly aggressive so that playstyle isn't for, i prefer 2 blaster cuz i will be in the enemies face anyway
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 15:24

@Mppqlmd wrote:
Yep.
I've changed it a bit recently : i started taking quite a lot of Mandrakes, and DSed them turn 3 (or turn 4 on 1 game), when i got rid of priority targets with long ranged guns, and started closing in. This creates a huge threat buff that can easily panic an opponent that has already lost his big toys to Darklight.

If you don't mind, I've got a few more questions:

- Do you tend to move your Raiders in the first couple of turns, or do you stay still to fire the Warriors' Dark Lances at BS3+?

- Where do you put your characters (I ask because the list you showed me previously didn't seem to have any unused transport capacity in any of its vehicles)?

- In turns 3 onwards (or whenever you close in), do you make any effort to get your Warriors into melee, or do you have them shoot from their transports for as long as possible?

- You mentioned before that you used Dark Lance Scourges. Do you start them on the board or do you have them deep strike into play?
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 16:24

I don't mind Smile
- This is of course a matter of target access. I don't mind having -1 if it grants me the option to shoot at a key target, and if some unit is dangerously close i'll probably move away. So i often shoot at 4+, but not necessarly.
- My character (no plural needed ^^) is currently walking, and furiously writing to his private garage about how much he need his moto-jet/skyboard back. The time he spends running keeps him very fit, though.
- If i think the enemy infantry is inferior in cc (Tau/Geq/cultists, or even some gaunts), i'll rush into cc after a good round of rapidfire. I'm also using the fact (that i read on this forum) that a consolidate move can be used to reembark on a transport.
- The only scenario where i start my Scourges on the board is if there is absolutly no chance of them being hit if i don't get first turn. That, and if they can be deployed in such a way that they can shoot at a good target without moving (because if you move them, you could have DS'ed for the same price). So they usually come from reserve.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 16:44

Thanks, Mppqlmd. Your playstyle is very different to mine but it's one I'm eager to try (especially given the nautical inspiration for it), and I want to try and recreate it as faithfully as possible. pirat

@Mppqlmd wrote:
I don't mind Smile
- This is of course a matter of target access. I don't mind having -1 if it grants me the option to shoot at a key target, and if some unit is dangerously close i'll probably move away. So i often shoot at 4+, but not necessarly.

Righteo.

@Mppqlmd wrote:

- My character (no plural needed ^^) is currently walking, and furiously writing to his private garage about how much he need his moto-jet/skyboard back. The time he spends running keeps him very fit, though.

lol!

@Mppqlmd wrote:

- If i think the enemy infantry is inferior in cc (Tau/Geq/cultists, or even some gaunts), i'll rush into cc after a good round of rapidfire. I'm also using the fact (that i read on this forum) that a consolidate move can be used to reembark on a transport.

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. Well that's certainly useful to know.

@Mppqlmd wrote:

- The only scenario where i start my Scourges on the board is if there is absolutly no chance of them being hit if i don't get first turn. That, and if they can be deployed in such a way that they can shoot at a good target without moving (because if you move them, you could have DS'ed for the same price). So they usually come from reserve.

One last question - it seems like you're relatively light on anti-tank weapons (just 7 Dark Lances, many of which will probably be hitting on 4s), do you not have issues taking out vehicles with your initial volleys?
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Thu Aug 17 2017, 17:54

@The Shredder wrote:
Thanks, Mppqlmd. Your playstyle is very different to mine but it's one I'm eager to try (especially given the nautical inspiration for it), and I want to try and recreate it as faithfully as possible.  pirat
It's a pleasure, and an honor !

Quote :
One last question - it seems like you're relatively light on anti-tank weapons (just 7 Dark Lances, many of which will probably be hitting on 4s), do you not have issues taking out vehicles with your initial volleys?
The problem with that list is finding the perfect balance between Dark Lances and Dissies numbers.
In general, i think it's safer to have too many dissies than too many DL, because dissies are a great tool to finish vehicles with 2 or 4 wounds left (firing a DL for 2 HP is not great, and against 4 wounds you could not roll high enough).  
The general protocole is to fire the Dark Lances first, and fire them against the big game, while they still have a lot of wounds. When they get low, the protocole changes : if they have even (2N) remaining Wounds, start firing Dissies at them, to get most value of that D2 stat. If they have an odd (2N+1) Wounds, you either continue with DLs, or try to finish them (or make them even) with the RWJF missiles.

That way, you'll be sure to use your DL to start the targets, and dissies/missiles to finish them.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: raider vs venom   Fri Aug 18 2017, 10:39

@Mppqlmd wrote:
@The Shredder wrote:
Thanks, Mppqlmd. Your playstyle is very different to mine but it's one I'm eager to try (especially given the nautical inspiration for it), and I want to try and recreate it as faithfully as possible.  pirat
It's a pleasure, and an honor !

Quote :
The problem with that list is finding the perfect balance between Dark Lances and Dissies numbers.
In general, i think it's safer to have too many dissies than too many DL, because dissies are a great tool to finish vehicles with 2 or 4 wounds left (firing a DL for 2 HP is not great, and against 4 wounds you could not roll high enough).  
The general protocole is to fire the Dark Lances first, and fire them against the big game, while they still have a lot of wounds. When they get low, the protocole changes : if they have even (2N) remaining Wounds, start firing Dissies at them, to get most value of that D2 stat. If they have an odd (2N+1) Wounds, you either continue with DLs, or try to finish them (or make them even) with the RWJF missiles.

That way, you'll be sure to use your DL to start the targets, and dissies/missiles to finish them.

Okay, that's fine. And yeah, firing Dark Lances first is good advice.

Thanks very much for your time and help. Smile
Back to top Go down

raider vs venom
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Dark Eldar Tactics
-
Jump to: