HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HaeSuse
Hellion

PostSubject: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 04 2017, 02:43

Hey, Thor. Why do you pronounce "Also" as "Oso"? It makes me want to kill things. Where did that come from? It's not just a mispronunciation, it's an entirely new (and wrong) word.

Why?!?!?

Oso, love the podcast. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Blackfel
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 03:32

While we're on the subject of pronunciation, is there a reason you guys say kabalite warriors as "kabble-ite" instead of "cuh-BAL-ite"? I've always assumed that kabalites are based off the word "cabal", which dictionary.com defines as:

1. a small group of secret plotters, as against a government or person in authority.

2. the plots and schemes of such a group; intrigue.

Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 16:47

Yikes my dudes, maybe it's mics not picking up on subtleties, maybe its their local dialect/accent, maybe its how GW pronounces things., maybe it's English being a funny language.

here's an example between cabal and Kabalite:

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 17:45

I have a guy in my local area who also says Oso. (I have to frequently mentally back up because I think he or Thor are saying "Oh so.") I thought it was an accent or dialect and was intrigued enough by it to ask a speech pathologist friend about it.

He said it was an uncommon but not rare speech pattern. (And pointed out a coworker of mine who I didn't realize also says it like that.)
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 19:20

@Haesuse - Must be my sexy Floridian accent.

@Blackfel - Your pronunciation is the English version of cabal, ours is the British. Why are a bunch of Yanks using the Brit pronunciation of a theory root for a made up word? I dunno - but that's my answer Wink

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Blackfel
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 20:33

That video was very interesting. Emma pronounces "kabal" like cabal from the dictionary, then immediately proceeds to say "kabbleite" for the rest of the video.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 21:26

Kabalite sounds very awkward if you pronounce it just like 'cabal' but with an -ite. The 'cobbleite' or 'cabbleite' pronunciation sounds much more natural.
Back to top Go down
Skulnbonz
Wych

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Fri Aug 25 2017, 22:00

while we are talking about pronunciations...
does "thor" sound like something a guy with a lisp would call himself after leg day at the gym?

Blackfel
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Sat Aug 26 2017, 02:22

There's an old joke like that.

The morning after an all-night party/orgy in Valhalla, the thunder God Thor wakes up and spots a naked valkyrie staggering by. He stands up, puffs out his chest, and says,
"Hey there. I'm Thor."
The valkyrie gives him a flat stare and replies,
"You're Thor? I'm tho thor I can hardly pith! “
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Sat Aug 26 2017, 15:15

The thunder god went for a ride
Upon his favorite filly.
"I'm Thor!" He cried,
The horse replied:
"You forgot your thaddle, thilly."
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me   Tue Aug 29 2017, 01:05

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down

To Thor: Pronunciation Question that's been bugging me
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: