HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tzelok
Hellion

PostSubject: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Fri Jul 14 2017, 00:31

Hello fellow Archons/Succubi/Haemonculi,

This PLOG is where I will be posting my army pics as I paint them up.

A little background: I first started hobbying 21 years ago when I discovered 2nd edition 40k. At some point, I made a switch over to fantasy, which I stuck to until it's untimely demise (Tzelok on the Druchii forum, Artius on the Bretonnian forums). I was in a hobby deadzone for a couple years, but with the new edition of 40K, my original gaming group is now all back on the same game.

So I went a little crazy....I bought about 5K pts worth of minis...and an airbrush (waiting for the compressor to arrive before I can play with that)...and I got to work!

One note - I realize my pictures are pretty terrible quality, I tried making a light box but fear I used too small a box. Bare with me until I can figure out a replacement for it - I will replace the pics as I can.

Kabalite Warriors

Trueborn

Archon

My current WIP is some scourges - hopefully by the time I am finished with them I will have my airbrush compressor and can get started on some venoms/raiders/razorwings.

Feedback welcome!
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Fri Jul 14 2017, 05:25

bounce love em! Dark, sinister, yet not purely black. Good choice of colours.
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Fri Jul 14 2017, 06:22

I like them. The blue armor of the warriors contrasts nicely with the orange rust on the bases. I would maybe clean up the lip of the bases where the wash has spilled over to make the whole model look a little crisper. Other than that, a gang of great looking guys! Looking forward to the scourges.
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Fri Jul 14 2017, 16:09

Thanks guys!

@Scrz - great minds think alike! I ended up painting the base sides black since I took the photos initially!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Tue Aug 01 2017, 18:44

After getting steamrolled with the busiest month I've had at work ever (it's still happening but I'm chipping away 1 hr a night) I finally finished the scourges! I really am liking how they turned out - especially the little vials of liquid near the wings, which I painted with complete inspiration from the "Dark City" image at the top of the page.

I am now working towards painting a 2K tournament list, next steps are some assembly:
10x Incubi
Succubus
3 x Ravagers
4 x Raiders
Venom

Once those are done, I need to paint all of that plus about 9 warriors and 10 wyches....I have 45 days to do so, which should be ample time if I can not let work bleed into my personal life.

I've also recently purchased a full airbrush setup, so hopefully that will help expedite my basecoats and enable me to do some cool stuff on the vehicles! Stay tuned!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Wed Aug 02 2017, 12:04

Very nice color scheme, and nice bases too.
Very nice work on paintings too =)

I'm just a little upset with scourges bases, it just doesn't feels right :p

Dark eldars ~4k points / Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Wed Aug 02 2017, 16:06

Thank you! Yea, I couldn't think how else to make the standard bases I was using work with the bits the scourges are standing on - I thought this worked ok Razz

Twisted

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Thu Aug 03 2017, 01:31

Hmmm, here's an idea. If you chop up some spare bits of sprue into different sizes, put some 'chips' into them with clippers and scatter a few on the base (perhaps with some smaller bits of sand/rubble) it'll look like there's a steel floor with bits of stone rubble crumbling over it Smile should be pretty quick and easy to do as well (not to mention cheap!)

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Thu Aug 03 2017, 11:47

Yeah, you can also "cover" with thin plastic sheets, and paint 'em metal.
And/or add tubes.

They are so many solutions here ^^.

Dark eldars ~4k points / Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down
Tzelok
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Thu Aug 03 2017, 19:30

Great ideas, thanks guys! I'll probably do a hybrid - I read this last night as I was putting together my incubi and saved all the sprues. This will probably take a back seat to getting the rest of the army ready, as I am worried about making it in time for the tourney, but it's 1st on my list of to-do's once everything has some paint on it.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Thu Aug 24 2017, 18:45

So, work basically ruined my chances of getting done for the tournament. I've decided not to stress about it but just paint what I can - and last night was the first night I ever got to use my airbrush.

I'm pretty happy with the result, not sure what colour I want to use for my "tribal markings" and this isn't quite done, but its a good start!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Mon Aug 28 2017, 19:05

All done on the venom, now started on 4 raiders and 3 ravagers:

This was a learning experience, I laid the paint on a bit thick on certain areas etc - but I'm actually quite happy with the outcome.

In priming/basecoating the raiders, I've realized I have already learned much better trigger control - I'm starting to get crazy ideas that I can actually finish everything in time for the tournament.

Tournament is on Sept 17th....I still have to paint:
4 Raiders
3 Ravagers
9 Warriors
10 Wyches
10 Incubi
4 razorwing flocks

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Fri Dec 01 2017, 23:10

So it's been awhile since I last posted - I ended up getting close but not fully painted for the tourney (unfortunately).

I did have a great time (despite having to fight papa smurf thrice) and won 2, tied 1, and lost 2. But apparently I'm fun to play against cuz I got this!

Anyways, a bit of a hobby update: I've been chipping away at the raiders and crew for what seems to be a lifetime, but am benching them for now as I am thinking of a new tourney list and it doesn't have any raiders. Pic dump below of what I have been working on thus far:

Venom with Crew:

Raiders/Ravagers:

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Mon Dec 04 2017, 17:30

Shame you won't be using your raiders as much in the future since they look incredibly good!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss   Mon Dec 04 2017, 18:30

Thanks Lord Asvaldir! Actually my test game went horrifically so two raiders found their way back onto the list after all!

Kabal of the Frozen Void/ Cult of the Dark Abyss
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: