HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nutcase5000
Slave

PostSubject: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sat Jul 08 2017, 20:37

https://warofsigmar.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/blogging/picture8/1645/force_of_visarch.jpg

trying to paint my army this red colour but i cant figure out what colours they are.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sat Jul 08 2017, 21:30

I'd say Vallejo Gory red with Bloody Red mid-highlights and some orange top-highlights. But no clue in GW range.

Although according to the very glossy surface it might even be the Blood for the Blood God GW Technical paint as base with glossy highlights.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sun Jul 09 2017, 11:42

Moved to Painting and Modelling - Count Adhemar

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Cherrycoke
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sun Jul 09 2017, 15:07

Theres a close up of one of the wyches in that pic here

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Eldar-Wyches

Click on the side pic of the red armored wych for a closeup.

Just looks like khorne red with wild rider red highlight.
Back to top Go down
Nutcase5000
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sun Jul 09 2017, 21:49

ah that is the same scheme but trying to get a colour like the red in my pic, the lighting/camera makes it more crimson, which im trying to create. just duno what to use to make that crimson and have it that vibrant
Back to top Go down
mightydoughnut
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Sun Jul 09 2017, 21:59

Mephistron Red base, shade it with Carbaugh Crimson, light up with Wazzdaka Red or Wild Rider Red then add some Fire Dragon Bright for extreme highlights, it should do the trick. Maybe use some red glaze or even that new paint that is used to paint gems to add that extra sheen.

Ynneadwraith
Twisted

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Thu Jul 13 2017, 12:03

Yeah i'd say mightydoughnut's method is probably easiest and most similar. Basecoat, wash, then highlight is dead simple and very effective Smile
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Thu Jul 13 2017, 13:29

I think the Armour is different between Aspect Warriors and Wyches.
The Wyches seem to be the Mephiston line mentioned, Aspect Warriors seem more pinkish to me, like the other red line that starts with Khorne red.
Also the Gem colour for the Glossy look does sound like a good idea, but i have never used a gem colour, do they work like that?
Back to top Go down
masamune
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?   Mon Jul 17 2017, 10:10

If I remember correctly, it's a 'classic' GW red theme, Duncan talks about it in the Visarch painting tutorial.

Base Mephiston red
Shade scarbrough crimson (Might be nuln oil but it doesn't seems to on pics, or maybe a lhamia diluted subtle version)
Highlight Evil sunz scarlet
Highlight++ Wild Rider Red

This will looks like more like the incubies on the background.

For a colder red like the front Eldar dire avengers, I'd recommand using a Khorne red base (darker) and then highlighting with colder colors (no orange-ish tints, or a minor hint in mixes). Maybe base color + straight skull white, or maybe base mixed with purple (which will add some blue) like xereus purple or genestealer purple.

Have some tests before applying to final models.

Dark eldars ~4k points / Battle sisters ~2k points
Back to top Go down

Can anyone tell me what colour paints used to make this red?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: