Archon [64pts]: Huskblade Splinter pistol
5x Kabalite Trueborn [115pts] 4x Blaster
5x Mandrakes [95pts]
5x Mandrakes [95pts]
3x Razorwing flock [21pts]
4x Razorwing flock [28pts]
1x Venom [80pts]: Splinter Cannon, Twin splinter rifle

Tactics
1. Capitalize on the No Mercy victory conditions by assassinating their warlord turn 1 (Slay the Warlord + First Blood) if they don’t bubble wrap him. Two mandrake squads should do the trick.
2. Bubble wrap my own WL with Razorwing Flock and keep them on the move.
3. Hunt tanks/monsters with tge Trueborn squad in the venom, and hopefully end the game in the enemy deployment zone for extra VP’s.

Questions
1. Are the Razorwing Flock a bad idea in a game that awards victory points for enemy units slain?
2. Am I correct in assuming that 10 deep striking Mandrakes should be able to delete pretty much any non-vehicle unit on turn 1?
3. Is 4 Blasters in a Venom overkill?
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Competitive 500pt No Mercy List   Fri Jul 07 2017, 22:45

The second your opponent puts down a rhino with their warlord in it your plan seems fairly moot. 4 blasters will most likely not crack a rhino turn 1 and in all honesty the combined shooting of your entire army wouldn't I believe. However I don't know what other armies look like at 500 points so if you aren't expecting transports then this might work. On to your questions

1. I'm not sure that flocks are worth it without a beastmaster. If you lose even 1 base you're losing another whole base or more in the moral phase on a 4 up. Another thing to note is that although you're mitigating the damage taken in moral by splitting the units up, you're also increasing your drops and the likely hood that your opponent gets to go first. Which for a list that's designed to get no mercy seems counter intuitive, as if your opponent can focus even the smallest unit of flocks and kill it off, first blood is gone.

2. I think I'm right in saying that the mandrakes will do 5.555... wounds between the 2 squads in shooting against MEQ. So if 10 man tactical squads are a possibility then be wary. You'll have to commit all of your shooting to them including the blasters to have a chance to kill them.

3. Probably? You're spending 195 points on the unit including the venom, which I think is a bit steep for 500 points. It's good that it puts guys on the board for the sake of objectives though I suppose.

I think if the stars align you definitely have a chance, but if your opponent is remotely aware of the danger of no mercy or just doesn't leave their warlord exposed you're going to struggle.

In all honesty, If I was playing 500 points I would probably consider a list like this:

Patrol detachment

HQ
Archon
- Agoniser
- Blaster

Troops
X2 5 Kabalites
- Blaster
- Venom

5 Kabalites
- Blaster
- Raider
-Shock prow

Total: 499

Obviously it's a much more traditional list and is nothing close to what you've started with, but it gives you a lot of advantages.
1 Reduces number of drops drastically, as all the units are vehicled up. You only have 3 with this list, which means it's more likely that will get first which I think is critical at this points level.

2. You keep the same amount of blasters, except one now hits on a 2+ and you gain a dark lance to help you hit enemy vehicles.

3. The damage output from shooting is very comparable, as you have 44 splinter shots when you have all units in rapid fire range, which by my Maths does about 1.6 wounds less than all the anti infantry shooting in your list against MEQ. Slightly worse, but you get a dark lance for your trouble, which if you want something to snipe exposed warlords definitely isn't a bad shout.

4. Vehicles are very survivable and two of yours are hard to hit and the other has a very respectable wound pool. This means it's going to be difficult for your opponent to get to the meat of your army, score points for kills, get to your warlord, stop you claiming objectives. If they can't kill your Venoms chances are you could very easily win the objectives game.

So personally I would go for a much more traditional list at 500 points, as I feel that there's not enough of a guarantee that you can achieve no mercy, as it will be difficult to get first turn with the current list and hard to get first blood considering you have a few units that are quite susceptible to being picked off.

Back to top Go down
tonytastey
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Competitive 500pt No Mercy List   Fri Jul 07 2017, 22:57

Thank you for this! Honestly, this will be my first time playing Dark Eldar since 3rd edition and I was just a kid back then, so this is extremely helpful advice and I've taken it all to heart. I think I even have the models to build the list you suggested!

If money were no object - would you build the list any other way?

What units would you be targeting for expansion to 750 pts and 1000 pts?
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Competitive 500pt No Mercy List   Fri Jul 07 2017, 23:13

There was a good thread about 1000 point lists here recently, can't quite remember if it was here or in the tactics section, but I put a lot of my thoughts about it there. Off the top of my head, at least 1 Ravager is good for 1000 points and a Razorwing is also a good shout, although perhaps not in the same list depending on points. For me Kabalites are always a safe bet. Honestly one of the best units in the codex. And transports as well. Definitely a staple in almost any dark eldar army bar flock spam. For 1000 points I would probably want 3-4 Venoms and 1 to 2 raiders in my collection. You probably wouldn't use all of them in a single list but the variety allows different unit combos. If you prefer 10 man squads you'd probably swap those number. After that maybe Scourges, they're probably one of the most points efficient splinter weapon units at 70 points for a stock unit with 15 shots, they can deepstrike and have the ability to take up to 4 blasters which is very nice. I don't take them in every list, but a lot of people here sweat by them.

This list isn't definitive by any stretch by the way, if you've been keeping an eye on the army list section you'll see that a lot of different styles can be good and a lot of different units are good, but what I've mentioned should give you a good basis for a hard hitting, fast DE army. Hope that helps!

Oh forgot to mention them, but Incubi are also not a bad shout. Just for the sake of getting a close combat unit in there. They'll not cull hordes by themselves, but against MEQ they're fantastic.
Back to top Go down

Competitive 500pt No Mercy List
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: