HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Surrounded!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hellstrom
Sybarite

PostSubject: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 10:44

So this was fun .... Lol. Any clever ways to get out of this fight? Apparently I can't move out this combat as I can't move through models? Still survived 5 fight rounds just living off my Shadowfield save!! Literally couldn't roll a 1 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 10:54

Yeah, you're pretty stuck there!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 11:18

So when withdrawing you have to be able to move through the squad to be able to escape the combat? This I was not aware of, I thought the units in combat with you were invisible to your model.
This would mean that if I surround one model from a squad, and until it dies the squad cannot run away?!??!?
That changes a lot!
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 11:23

It's not explicitly stated in the rules but the combination of not being able to move within 1" of an enemy model in the movement phase and the requirement to end your move more than 1" from any enemies when Falling Back sort of implies it.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 13:56

Does that apply to something with the fly ability? Like, could you just fly out as you Fall Back? And can you embark units that are in CC?

Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 14:24

I would assume so:

Quote :
If the datasheet for a model says it can Fly, it can move across models and terrain as if they were not there.

Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 14:29

Except the moving within 1 inch of a unit is already invalidated by the fact you are starting within 1" as you are in combat, so there must be more to it, which is where I got my quite probably wrong, interpretation from
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 15:22

But the movement rules also say "It (the model) cannot be moved through other models"

Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 15:34

Count Adhemar wrote:
But the movement rules also say "It (the model) cannot be moved through other models"

That's the kicker
Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 15:43

That doesn't bode well, but does the wording of the fall back rule even mention the 1" or other units in general? Because how they handle it there will really determine what our result is.

I'm not looking it up myself as I'm on holiday at the moment and don't have my book handy
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 15:49

Moving
A model can be moved in any direction, to a distance, in inches, equal to or less than the Move characteristic on its datasheet. No part of the model’s base (or hull) can move further than this. It
cannot be moved through other models or through terrain features such as walls, but can be moved vertically in order to climb or traverse any scenery. If the datasheet for a model says it can Fly, it can move across models and terrain as if they were not there.

Falling Back
Units starting the Movement phase within 1" of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or Fall Back. If you choose to Fall Back, the unit must end its move more than 1" away from all enemy units. If a unit Falls Back, it cannot Advance (see below), or charge later that turn. A unit that Falls Back also cannot shoot later that turn unless it can Fly.

Back to top Go down
LordSplata
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 15:59

Ahh! So there isn't a rule about moving within 1" of an enemy squad! How interesting!

So if someone bubble wraps and leaves a 1" gap, then Your model can move between them, providing it is a standard base.

Yep Hellstrom, you is screwed!

Edit: but this really effects how I will consolidate and pile in! Escapes will be much much harder!
After all only one model in squad needs to be enveloped like this and if that squad memeber is a special weapon or sergeant or some other model that the player will be hesitant to remove And really lock a squad in combat much better or gives us the ability to character assisinate!
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:38

Charge a boat in there for extraction? Try to cram a Raider's prow into combat and contact with the Archon so he may embark before the boat falls back a full 14"?

Otherwise just charge with everything on the board to kill the unit and stroll away with the Archon dishing out payments for the extra work his soldiery put into not leaving him out to dry.

Still a pretty funny situation to be stuck in for that long.

How'd you go on the "killing 'Cronz" front? RP to much to get through, or were you hacking your way out of it towards the games end?

Oh.

A thought has just occurred to me. In this scenario, if you killed a model or two, could you then consolidate into their formerly occupied space? Try to get yourself to the outside of the bubble in this manner, from which point you can fall back and then run like hell as the Benny Hill theme plays.
Don't have my books with me, and I'm a touch out of touch on pain meds, so sorry if this is an attrocious misunderstanding of the fight phase mechanics.

The other option is to play Harlequins and just backflip away from everything with the awesome powers of your utility belt... I mean flip belt. The clowns definitely aren't role playing as Batman over here.

Woe to our enemies. We'll tear them apart regardless.
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Fri Jun 30 2017, 07:38

you have to consolidate to the closest model, so once someone is basetobase with you you cannot leave it, once 2 people are base to base you cannot move anymore?

So you cannot kill 1 and then move into it's position (unless you kell everything touching you)
And remember the enemy takes the cuasalties away, no need for it to be anything near your char.
Back to top Go down
Ikol
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Fri Jun 30 2017, 07:43

True.

So the daring and desperate rescue mission is probably your best bet.

Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Fri Jun 30 2017, 11:26

That or just revive him at your local heamy.
Back to top Go down
TheBaconPope
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Fri Jun 30 2017, 18:46

On the bright side, the rules for falling back make it fairly easy to pin big models without Fly. I had a game the other night where I kept a Russ pinned against the edge of the table for two turns with a single Reaver.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Surrounded!!!   Fri Jun 30 2017, 19:08

A similarly funny scenario involved a lone Succubus pinning a Rhino, the Rhino's passengers and a Dreadnought into one corner.

Back to top Go down

Surrounded!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: