HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 19:06

On Wednesday I will be playing my first game of 8th edition against a friend of mine with his death guard. He's really fun to play usually.

My list :

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [some points short to 1000 points] ++

+ HQ +

2 x Archon [some points]: Agoniser, Blaster, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

+ Troops +

3 x Kabalite Warriors [some points]
. 3x Kabalite Warrior
. Kabalite Warrior with special weapon: Blaster
. Sybarite: Agoniser, Blast Pistol, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

+ Elites +

Mandrakes [some points]: 4x Mandrake, Nightfiend

+ Flyer +

Razorwing Jetfighter [some points]: 2 Dark Lances, Splinter Cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

4 x Venom [some points]: Splinter Cannon, Splinter Cannon

++ Total: ~1000
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 19:36

The second splinter cannon seems like a waste to me on the Venoms and Razorwing. It's pretty much a luxury upgrade at this point. That saves you 75 pts, which buys you a stock unit of Scourges which is definitely worth thinking about. It's not going to be an utterly stellar unit but it's more poison and 5 mobile guys that can deepstrike which is quite useful. If you dropped the blast pistols as well you would have 105 pts to spend, which is enough to buy you another unit of mandrakes.

My only other thought is that it seems quite light on anti tank in all honesty. I've seen some fairly tank heavy lists at 1000pts already so it's worth thinking if you have enough to deal with 3 or 4 in the list. I'd say you would struggle with anything heavily mechanised but I can't see a way to add much more anti tank without changing the list up quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 19:45

Why do you consider the second Splinter Cannon on the venom not worth it?

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 19:48

At 12" you only lose two shots when they're stock, at 24 you lose 1 and at 36 you lose 3. So the only time it's much of a benefit to have is at 36" range, but to do the most damage with the Venoms you want to be up close. I can understand it more so on the razorwing because you want to keep your distance, but with the Venoms you want to be up close and I don't feel 15 points per cannon is worth it when it only improves your rapid fire range by 6".
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 20:15

I'm kind of nostalgic with my Splinter canon so what about that:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [992pts, 50 PL] ++

+ HQ +

Archon []: Agoniser, Blaster, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

Archon []: Agoniser, Blaster, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors []
. 3x Kabalite Warrior
. Sybarite: Agoniser, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Splinter Rifle

Kabalite Warriors []
. 3x Kabalite Warrior

Kabalite Warriors []
. 3x Kabalite Warrior

+ Elites +

Mandrakes []: 6x Mandrake, Nightfiend

+ Heavy Support +

Ravager []: Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Shock Prow

+ Dedicated Transport +

Venom []: Splinter Cannon, Splinter Cannon

Venom [L]: Splinter Cannon, Splinter Cannon

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 20:45

Fair enough haha I haven't tested them in game so I'll he interested to hear from you if you think the added range is worth the extra 60 points. I feel like this a bit better and the mandrakes should be able to help with the anti tank due to their mortal wound output. Seems fairly solid now IMO. Though if you can find it in your heart to drop the cannons you could bulk out your mandrakes more, add Scourges or add some Medusae to ride with your Archons. Another thing to note is that if you dropped a PGL and and Agoniser you could buy another mandrake.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 20:56

An idea, I would not run a battalion. At 1k I would drop it to a patrol detachment. This means you dont need to take the second archon, which is basically 76 points for +3CP. I will agree that Scourges seem to be a steal for their points cost.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Mon Jun 26 2017, 21:58

That's a good shout actually. If you did that and dropped the cannons you're only 10 points from another Ravager or a Razorwing. I think I'd go for the razorwing for this list, just because 2 Ravagers might be overkill and the Razorwing gives you a nice balance of anti tank and anti infantry.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Tue Jun 27 2017, 17:06

What about this one?
Keep more distance:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Drukhari) [999pts, 54 PL] ++

+ HQ +

Archon [76pts, 4 PL]: Agoniser, Blaster, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

Archon [76pts, 4 PL]: Agoniser, Blaster, Phantasm Grenade Launcher

+ Troops +

Kabalite Warriors [3 PL, 57pts]
. 3x Kabalite Warrior

. 3x Kabalite Warrior

. 3x Kabalite Warrior

+ Elites +

Mandrakes [9 PL, 114pts]: 5x Mandrake, Nightfiend

+ Heavy Support +

Ravager [155pts, 8 PL]: Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance

+ Flyer +

Razorwing Jetfighter [8 PL, 175pts]: 2 Disintegrator Cannons, Twin splinter rifle

+ Dedicated Transport +

Raider [6 PL, 116pts]: Dark Lance, Shock Prow

Raider [6 PL, 116pts]: Dark Lance, Shock Prow

Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Wed Jun 28 2017, 10:45

Yeah I'm definitely a fan of this list. Over all seems very balanced and it should definitely give your death guard friend a run for his money! I'd argue it's actually a good TAC list now. My last point would be don't shy away from Venoms, the splinter fire adds up quite quickly and it's one of the biggest reasons to take them, even if they are a bit worse at shooting than last edition. Personally though I don't think you need to change it here, but it's food for thought for larger lists.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Wed Jun 28 2017, 13:13

Damn. I'm seeing it just now that I paid for a Disintegrator Razorwing but I only own lance ones.
That opens up 20 points or one additional mandrake.

Back to top Go down
Trueborn44
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Wed Jun 28 2017, 20:24

If you really want to play WSYWIG then definitely. I like the dissies though, because anything you would lose in terms of weight of splinter fire you would make up for with wounds dealt from them. But losing them and picking up a mandrake wouldn't hurt too much. Seems like a solid plan.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?   Thu Jun 29 2017, 07:34

Battle report is up

Back to top Go down

1000 points Kabal against Death Guard. Is it any good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: