HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

First 8th game with Drukhari

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:36

I played 2k vs Astra Militarum yesterday, and figured I'd share the experience, and comment on what worked and what didn't.

The first thing I'll throw down in Mandrakes, because they were the first unit to do anything.
When the game started, they were the first to get their shots in while everything else moved in position. They appeared in front of the enemy lines and threw down their Baleblasts, doing a fairly decent amount of damage. the ability to do Mortal Wounds on a Wound roll of 6 is actually quite nice. THeir first round of shooting gave me First Blood by taking down an OGRYN unit. Not too shabby.
In the subsequent opponent turn they also absorbed a lot of fire. Having their lack of save turn into an Invulnerable AND a blanket -1 to hit made them far harder to remove from the board, and an excellent bullet/laser-sponge.
They fell eventually obviously, after being charged by Bullgryns, but they'd done a decent amount and left Venoms and Raiders room to manuever.

Speaking of Venoms and Raiders (and one Ravager), a general blanket -1 to hit and 5++ makes them MUCH better than before. Sure, they're more expensive now, but they are a LOT more survivable. I actually got ALL of my transports across the board (partially thanks for extra speed now) AND they survived a decent round of shooting from GUARD. They're still fairly flimsy and made of cardboard, but they have the defensive capability to take a lot of fire and come out ok.
I'll add to that the realisation I made early in round one - that Vehicles are NOT exempt from power From Pain. So that vehicles who are -1 to hit, with a 5++, AND a 6+ to ignore wounds taken in round one. MUCH better than they used to be. Whoops.
I found that an ability to charge with them is also fairly decent, though maybe thats just against this opponent. A unit of guardsmen isn;t (and didn't) able to do much in close combat with a Venom, so for extra protection and speed you can charge with them. You won't do much (though perhaps more than other races) but it'll put the ball in your opponent's court whether to remain in combat, protecting your vehicles from shooting, or withdraw, losing one unit's worth of shooting.
Either way, it puts you closer to the enemy where you can disembark a combat unit in the following round.

Speaking of that, Incubi are good. They can cut through almsot everything, but are still pretty much on the level they were on before. The added free Kailvex and his ability is decent addition, but not world-shattering.
Drazhar was a tad disappointing if I'm honest. His combat abilities are basically on the same level as a Klaivex, with an extra point of strength which isn't amazing. His aura effect as well is ok, making Incubi hit on a 2+, but considering all Drukhari get this thanks to Power From Pain in turn three, the aura effect becomes pointless. His weapons are just Demi-Klaives, so nothing special and new, and his ability to generate further attacks doesn;t really come up very often. I'd say his effectiveness could be compared to a standard Incubi and a Klaivex together. I would want him to be a bit more.
He and a unit of Incubi stodd down my opponent's Bullgryns, but instead of munching through them they found themselves bogged down. By the end both units were mostly dead, but not gone.
Meanwhile my second Incubi units was tearing through other units, including Guard, a Sentinel and hel[ping finish off a Basilisk.

Finally, the Talos. Really disappointing.
Its not as strong or tough as it once was, and its battlefield role has changed. I thought I could use it as before, and sent it headlong at a Basilisk thinking it would take it down. But after taking a few hits (and not doing much withs shooting), it finally managed to charge but then took three full rounds before it finished the tank off. Just.
Before, I'd use the Talos as a combat beast, but it just didn't have the Strength to do it this time, and a Baslilisk isn't even the biggest Guard can do. Its a fairly weak hull type. My oppoent and I chatted afterwards, and after he spoke of the added strength of my Transports, he mentioned having played against the Talos before and being far more afraid of it. It just wasn't the threat to him that he felt it was before. I think the new role for the Talos is as a short-range weapons platform. Think Vaul's Wrath battery, but with short-range weapons. Its combat effectiveness might be higher against Infantry, but not heavy Infantry or Vehicles like it used to.
I think it could have been more useful with some kind of deliveyr mechanism - some sort of Deep Strike to allow its shorter range weapons to get in close (Heat Lances, etc), but I don't feel its a combat monster anymore.

Anyway, I lost the game.
But we were both learning, and I abandoned my one Objective to try to force a large block of Guard off theirs. Didn't work.

Last edited by Squidmaster on Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:47; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:43

@Squidmaster wrote:
I'll add to that the realisation I made early in round one - that Vehicles are NOT exempt from power From Pain. So that vehicles who are -1 to hit, with a 5++, AND a 6+ to ignore wounds taken in round one. MUCH better than they used to be.

Vehicles don't have the Power from Pain rule and only units with that rule benefit from it.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:46

Yep, I just realised that.

Whoops.
Back to top Go down
kiloran
Slave

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:28

Drazhar was a tad disappointing if I'm honest. His combat abilities are basically on the same level as a Klaivex, with an extra point of strength which isn't amazing. His aura effect as well is ok, making Incubi hit on a 2+, but considering all Drukhari get this thanks to Power From Pain in turn three, the aura effect becomes pointless.

What it is useful for, while limited, is the +1 to the to hit roll. So your Klaivex will cause 3 wounds per hit on 5s instead of 6s. Watch for these 6+ effects and +x to roll in this edition.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:34

@kiloran wrote:
Drazhar was a tad disappointing if I'm honest. His combat abilities are basically on the same level as a Klaivex, with an extra point of strength which isn't amazing. His aura effect as well is ok, making Incubi hit on a 2+, but considering all Drukhari get this thanks to Power From Pain in turn three, the aura effect becomes pointless.

What it is useful for, while limited, is the +1 to the to hit roll. So your Klaivex will cause 3 wounds per hit on 5s instead of 6s. Watch for these 6+ effects and +x to roll in this edition.

.......................I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm pretty sure those "6" effects are natural dice rolls only though.
Back to top Go down
kiloran
Slave

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:36

But then why are the written as 'When rolling a 6+ to..." Wink
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:37

I think where it says "wound roll", thats before Modifiers. As in, just the roll.
Back to top Go down
kiloran
Slave

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:43

Reread my pdf and I was mistaken, it is to wound rolls. I stand corrected. Darn these old eyes and reading on a phone.
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 14:57

Even so, its an interesting argument on the nature of "6+" roll effects.......

May have to find an actual example of it to raise the question after release.
Back to top Go down
Barrywise
Wych

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 21:55

Thanks for sharing! I too would be interested in the wording of "add 1 to each roll"

Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 22:01

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be natural. I believe there's a chaos power that gives +1 to wound rolls and on a 7+ has an additional effect.

I think it was chaos. I can't remember but I'll edit if I find it.

Found it. Chaos daemons, nurgle discipline "virulent blessing" pg.69 of the chaos index: "...add 1 to all wound rolls... on a roll of 7+ the attack deals double damage"

Last edited by The Red King on Thu Jun 15 2017, 22:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deamon
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   Thu Jun 15 2017, 22:04

Am I missing something here? I though only the venoms had -1 to hit against them. Not Raider nor Ravagers...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First 8th game with Drukhari   

Back to top Go down

First 8th game with Drukhari
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Realspace Raids
-
Jump to: