Share | 

Court of the Archon in 8th

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Archon_91
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 04:19

I believe he means if a vehicle blows up net to this court ... And I thin they actually do become a unit instead of individual characters when they are taken in the bodyguard thing for archons that brings them in outside of force org.
Back to top Go down
Mppqlmd
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 09:50

No, they never become a unit, and they are played as independent characters all the game.
The special rule just allows you to "not take FOC slots", which is kinda useless since, with CP rules, you WANT as many units as possible Very Happy

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 10:53

Yeah,  I was referring to other vehicles blowing up nearby the court, where damage is allocated per unit.

I had a kastelan explode next to my court in a game recently, and we played it by allocating D3 wounds to each model in the court (I had 1 of each type), so I think we played it correctly.

Does seem like a really bad outcome for the court if this happens. It could easily wipe out most of the members.

Last edited by Scottmmmm on Thu Aug 10 2017, 11:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 11:05

Jeah court right now has all of the downsides of characters and none of the advantages.
Back to top Go down
Duke Daedric
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 11:25

You played it right. Each court member is a unit on his own.
Sslyth are a major asset this edition. I play them all the time when playing an Archon HQ and they perform great.
Since every model is a character one unit's shooting can never kill more then the closest one.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Thu Aug 10 2017, 22:47

@Duke Daedric wrote:
You played it right. Each court member is a unit on his own.
Sslyth are a major asset this edition. I play them all the time when playing an Archon HQ and they perform great.
Since every model is a character one unit's shooting can never kill more then the closest one.

Strange, I find them in the third place (I forgot the Lamaheans).
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 00:14

The problem with the Sslyth, as has been previously pointed out, is that it's an excellent bodyguard unit for a model that clocks in at 10 points more than the bodyguard, and isn't very good regardless.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 06:31

I rather like the bodyguard option, fluffwise.

How survivable do 4 Sslyths make the Archon, in addition to his Shadow field?

Also i just read that they have a Shardcarbine AND a Splinter pistol, like Space Marines who if i remember correctly have Bolter and Bolt pistol, unlike our Kabalites/Wyches who have either Splinter rifle or Splinter pistol.
Back to top Go down
Duke Daedric
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 08:35

In my last battle with space wolves the opponent quit the game in his 3rd turn (he was the first player) after failing to kill my Archon (warlord) because of ablative wounds that Sslyth give.

It took cobined shooting of several units along with combined charge with 2 tactical units and his Warlord to dispose of the Court (made of 3 Sslyth and 1 Medusae).

The Archon survived with 1 wound left.

I usually tank all hits with SHADOWFIELD and after it fails I distribute wounds to Sslyth (it turns out that it's bloody annoying for the oposing player).

I agree that the Archon is somewhat weak compared to other HQs out there, just make him your Warlord and see how opponents tackle his survivability.
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 08:42

Given that both Space Marines and Chaos (AKA the two codexes that currently exist) get powers that remove invulnerable saves, and that all our HQs are relying very heavily on their invulnerable saves in order to be at all survivable, I think that Sslyth will become much more valuable for keeping our archons alive in the forseeable future.
What hurts is that it's hardly worth it Sad

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 21:06

Do those powers remove invul save indefinitely or just for one turn? I haven't seen the new codex so don't know the technicals of the powers, cause if it's just for a turn I think that means the archon would still ha e his shadowfield for the next turn as he didn't technically "fail" a save with it.
Back to top Go down
Cerve
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Fri Aug 11 2017, 23:21

Thinking as an opponent: why I have to focus down the Archon?
Yes, the general point. What else? Is way better to win the game by all the other victory conditions more than kill that Archon.
And if I have to do it: why don't charge the Sslyths? I mean, of course I will never shoot against him (2++ and bodyguards) so if I plan to kill him I'm actually plan to CHARGE him.
Then I will charge Sslyth first.

Yeah, bodyguard will be a great ability....when Vect, or Sliscus, or Malys will come back. For the normal Archon, well..I wonder why I need to protect something that my opponent will never focus on. And if I do it, how many points am I spending for a cheaper model as the Archon is?

Not to be rude, but seems to me totally useless :-/
Back to top Go down
Duke Daedric
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Sat Aug 12 2017, 08:37

It is all in the movement and positioning.
Putting Archon infront of Sslyth will make it possible for him to soak the majority of incming shooting dmg trough his shadowfeld since Sslyth can not be targeted as characters they are.

Opponent can only focus their attacks in fight phase but than again YOU shuld be the one charging so there are less attacks to hurt Sslyth.

It all comes down to a perticular style of play but nevertheless while Archon is not a UBBER slaughter machine he was still puts a dent and does wounds on non vehicle units very reliably (AT A DISCOUNT PRICE).

Back to top Go down
|Meavar
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Court of the Archon in 8th   Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:59

Why does the archon deals wounds reliably at a discount price?
Blaster shots, trueborn/scourges do it cheaper
Melee, incubi do it cheaper except against monstrous creatures, where kabalites/ blastershots do it cheaper.

You get some survivability with the archon, I give that, but any other function is done better by another unit.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Sslyth, the idea of them anyway.
The archon is expensive, for some survivability in an army without it. He is just not enough of a threat to waste shots on, so his survivability is wasted. He is like taking a complete foot guard army with one sentinal. Is the sentinel bad, no it is not. Would those points have been better spend on more heavy weapons in guard squads, yes it would.
Would one archon be okish as the warlord so the enemy does not get the warlord destroyed point (possably).
Do we need 2/3 HQ at least in a normal game Yes.
Would having 2 archons have any advantage No.
Back to top Go down

Court of the Archon in 8th
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Dark Eldar Tactics
-
Jump to: