Share | 

Whining is still whining . . .

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bob the Destroyer
Slave

PostSubject: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 00:06

. . . even when it's about whining.

Seriously, I abandoned the latest podcast after about half an hour because it was basically just some special little snowflake (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) throwing a tantrum because people on the internet say mean things about 40K.

Guys, I usually love the show, but whining about what some guy on the internet said does not a good episode make.

Do not make personal attacks on the forum, and especially over something as childish as someone's name. Gob.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 00:07

I posted before this thread got locked for being pointless.

Whining about whining still being whining is still whining. This is fun, keep the chain going.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 02:24

Whining about whining being whining is still whining, whining about whining whining about whining still being whining is still whining. We shall never escape.

Also, Splintercast; lift your game.

”Woe to our enemies.  We'll tear them apart regardless.” ~Barrywise
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 09:36

Hold on everybody. Don't start whining and let's instead have some real talk.
Tactics. Ideas. Load out of units.

Just engage in a meaningful discussion as much as possible and put the meaningless rant into the new made rant thread.

By the way: when you guys said that you peeked into the dark city and it looked bad, I felt as if we just enjoyed a disjunction Wink
So very much dark Eldar style.
Now let's rebuild this city.
Back to top Go down
Demantiae
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 11:20

This whole meta-thread of discussion is getting silly now. When you have a mono-faction forum for a game, and that faction is horribly imbalanced against many other factions for that same game then you are going to get a lot of negative discussion about that faction. What you might call whining is people venting their frustration at being shafted by rules designers. For every masochist who purposes chooses the worst army just to prove their battle prowess there are ten or more who just want a reasonable chance to play their faction. Calling out the imbalance and inherent weakness of a game system that screws your faction yet hands out all the goodies to other factions is normal.

Now there's a right way and a wrong way to go about criticising something. The plethora of fan-codexes and rules suggestions on the forum show that many people understood this idea. But there's only so many times you can try and say "this is how you can fix Wyches" before people get sick of it and just write Wyches off as being crap and not worth your time to discuss anymore.

The attitude and mood of the forum was a direct consequence of GW's shoddy handling of the faction. And it's my prediction that now DE fair much better (and once people get some games under their belt and learn how to use all these new units many of them have never fielded before) the mood will change. There's already been a lot of discussion on how to use many of these units.

Calling out those offering negative views is like blaming the victim of the plague for being diseased. They're just the symptom of a prevailing malaise beyond their control. The worst offenders for negativity are likely just tired of being kicked whilst they're already down.

And for the record, because you could technically win with DE by doing very specific things with very specific units, and hoping you got good dice and that at tournies you faced the right opponents, does not mean the faction was any good. At all. And that was cause of all the negativity. Blame (old) GW for that.

Back to top Go down
Rusty293
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 20:46

Enjoyed the latest Splintermind personally. Some good points about needing to see the rules in their entirety and actually playing the new edition first before the declaring this unit as bad and this unit as great. Perhaps came across a bit strong on the "we hate the whining thing" but I get the.frustration definitely!
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Thu Jun 08 2017, 21:15

I actually agreed with them to be fair. The whinging has got exceptionally bad of late. A new edition is coming. Let's embrace it and have a lifting of the mood as well! Leave the old baggage behind and be excited! Judge it once you have played for awhile and their vision and direction for the game has become clearer

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Bob the Destroyer
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Sat Jun 10 2017, 00:41

@spellcheck2001 wrote:
I actually agreed with them to be fair. The whinging has got exceptionally bad of late. A new edition is coming. Let's embrace it and have a lifting of the mood as well! Leave the old baggage behind and be excited! Judge it once you have played for awhile and their vision and direction for the game has become clearer

My point is, the podcast (which is usually awesome) is supposed to be about the faction and the game. If one of the hosts is getting upset about some nonsense they've read on the internet, then that's their problem, not mine.

I'm a freeloading listener who wants something for nothing, not some sort of "and how does that make you feel?" therapist.

Back to top Go down
4thDimensionWizard
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Sat Jun 10 2017, 01:03

@Demantiae wrote:
This whole meta-thread of discussion is getting silly now. When you have a mono-faction forum for a game, and that faction is horribly imbalanced against many other factions for that same game then you are going to get a lot of negative discussion about that faction. What you might call whining is people venting their frustration at being shafted by rules designers. For every masochist who purposes chooses the worst army just to prove their battle prowess there are ten or more who just want a reasonable chance to play their faction. Calling out the imbalance and inherent weakness of a game system that screws your faction yet hands out all the goodies to other factions is normal.

Now there's a right way and a wrong way to go about criticising something. The plethora of fan-codexes and rules suggestions on the forum show that many people understood this idea. But there's only so many times you can try and say "this is how you can fix Wyches" before people get sick of it and just write Wyches off as being crap and not worth your time to discuss anymore.

The attitude and mood of the forum was a direct consequence of GW's shoddy handling of the faction. And it's my prediction that now DE fair much better (and once people get some games under their belt and learn how to use all these new units many of them have never fielded before) the mood will change. There's already been a lot of discussion on how to use many of these units.

Calling out those offering negative views is like blaming the victim of the plague for being diseased. They're just the symptom of a prevailing malaise beyond their control. The worst offenders for negativity are likely just tired of being kicked whilst they're already down.

And for the record, because you could technically win with DE by doing very specific things with very specific units, and hoping you got good dice and that at tournies you faced the right opponents, does not mean the faction was any good. At all. And that was cause of all the negativity. Blame (old) GW for that.

*initiates slow clap*

Well said. Stop blaming people for speaking truth, and change the truth instead. Wink

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Sat Jun 10 2017, 05:10

I'm glad the hosts are bringing up an actual issue affecting the community.

The increasingly caustic nature of the forums has already driven several longtime users away. It's even driven a few to pack up and quit the army entirely. We've even had mods step away or quit. Since I became a mod, my recreational forum use has dropped significantly. I'm just tired of hearing the same relentlessly negative crap over and over again.

The Dark City was one of the most welcoming and friendly sub-communities I'd ever seen when I found it. It's reasonable to try to address that issue. Further, the community-bred podcast is in fact a perfect vehicle to discuss the topic.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Fri Jun 16 2017, 17:51

Maybe some paint contest or battle-report contest will lighten things up. Whatever the case with rules i'd be glad to paint some stuff and compete with someone Very Happy

Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Fri Aug 25 2017, 19:30

What about wine? Can I whine about wine just to get cheese? Wink

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Tue Aug 29 2017, 01:12

I missed this thread due to not paying much attention to the forum. I did find it amusing that person whining about whining about whining or whatever has exactly two posts, both of which were to complain about the show.

Neat.

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
withershadow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Tue May 08 2018, 07:13

I mean, I find the podcast tedious and boring too, but I just stopped listening to it and let other people have their fun... instead of bitching on the internet about it. Interesting how that works.
Back to top Go down
Lord Asvaldir
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Tue May 08 2018, 15:50

I mean you just resurrected a nine month old thread so you could bring up that you find splintermind "boring and tedious" so I'm not so sure about that..

Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   Tue May 08 2018, 16:40

This isn't going anywhere good. Locking the thread. Can we please avoid threadomancy - Count Adhemar

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whining is still whining . . .   

Back to top Go down

Whining is still whining . . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: