HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Ynnari Knight killing tactics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1++
Hekatrix


Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-06-27
Location : Sydney

PostSubject: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 01:45

Mucking around with the new rules and rolling dice a dozen times I've basically killed a Knight in 1 turn each and every time. As I'm in a pure Dark Eldar player here's what I've come up with, using a Reborn Warhost detachment (and taking minimum 7 units).

5 Trueborn, 4 Blasters in Raider
5 Scourge, 4 Haywire Blasters
1 Beastmaster

Basic plan; Trueborn's Raider moves up and they disembark, Scourge move up to target secondary angle, Beastmaster leaps the shortest route possible. Knight player nominates shield facing, fire all weapons. In the assault phase the Beastmaster charges in, gets destroyed at initiative step 4, allowing both Trueborn and Scourge to fire again - boom dead Knight - and before he can make Stomp attacks. The mega blast is a concern but all in all this combo comes out cheaper than the target itself. Just keep the 2 shooting units within 7" of where the Beastmaster charges.

Curious to hear other players takes on the subject.

_________________
"I'm alive from this pain!"
Back to top Go down
TeenageAngst
Hekatrix
avatar

Posts : 1325
Join date : 2016-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 01:51

It depends entirely on whether or not you nail the deep strikes, as they would have to be very close to one another to pull this off. If you don't hit that bullseye the rest of the dominos collapse like a house of cards. Checkmate.

_________________
Really terrible videos about tiny plastic space elfs intended to help you get gud scrub:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZP8WGIhte5TmCWQXsZO4A

Flawless pieces of literary perfection:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2805979/
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
avatar

Posts : 3028
Join date : 2013-10-31
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 02:56

Fire Dragons plus Archon in a Raider.

Raider Deep Strikes with no Scatter across two of the Knight's arcs. Ion Shield is declared, Fire Dragons shoot into the other arc. Blast takes out Raider (potentially) and Fire Dragons take a couple S4 hits, if anything.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych
avatar

Posts : 813
Join date : 2016-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 04:19

He said going pure DE, no CWE.

That said, I think mathematically the heat lance is our best AT weapon (assuming u can get into 9", which you have to be anyway to soulburst the beastmaster).

That being said, scourges are prob your go-to.

-A guy who has never killed a knight with DE
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
avatar

Posts : 3028
Join date : 2013-10-31
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 06:20

My bad. I assumed, given the title, that all Ynnari options were on the table.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6629
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 07:22

Troupe with Caresses. Glance the bugger to death.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
avatar

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2015-03-15
Location : Massachusetts

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 08:17

I didn't realize A knight was a problem for anyone. Killing 1 imperial knight is trivial, and really there is only 2 variants: one with a D-sword and the one without one. Literally everything else is gilding and window dressing.

With a D-sword you shoot it to death with 2-3+ units that are able to harm it from a variety of directions simultaneously. That way even if you fail to kill it, it won't be doing anything effective for the rest of the game. I so firmly believe that Haywire scourges are the best at doing this that 2 units of them are the reason why I ever even considered bringing vanilla dark eldar.

With just guns you charge it with multiple small units with haywire grenades, caresses, S7+, etc. Same justification as above. In this case it's more about keeping it from shooing then it is about being generally effective.

Killing 3 knights or a stompah is were things get significantly harder. A sword and board Wraithknight can potentially get up the board now so that's my answer, though I'm not going to go buy one.

The real question is how do you kill a wraithknight?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6629
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 09:08

amorrowlyday wrote:
The real question is how do you kill a wraithknight?

Troupe with Neuro Disruptors Smile

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Ynneadwraith
Twisted
avatar

Posts : 1207
Join date : 2016-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:10

Count Adhemar wrote:
amorrowlyday wrote:
The real question is how do you kill a wraithknight?

Troupe with Neuro Disruptors Smile

Especially now they can potentially shoot twice a turn.

If the Wraithknight retaliates and kills a Death Jester or Shadowseer, the Neuro Disruptors fire again...

_________________
Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6629
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 11:17

Troupes really are the jack of all trades when suitably equipped. Shame a disruptor and caress is 33 points on a T3, 5++ model Sad

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Kabalite Warrior


Posts : 135
Join date : 2012-02-28
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 15:48

for the Wraithknight, as long as it is not sword and board unless it has taken at least 2 wounds. the Yncarne will do the trick. 7 attacks on the charge, hit on 3+, wound on 2+ ap2. If it survives get attacked back 4 attacks 5+ to hit, 2+ to wound.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6629
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 16:05

Unfortunately, due to FNP, the Yncarne only does 2-3 wounds to a Wraithknight on the charge (but takes only 1 wound in return). If the Stomps don't get it, then the Yncarne should win in 2 or 3 rounds.

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 17:52

1++ wrote:
Mucking around with the new rules and rolling dice a dozen times I've basically killed a Knight in 1 turn each and every time. As I'm in a pure Dark Eldar player here's what I've come up with, using a Reborn Warhost detachment (and taking minimum 7 units).

5 Trueborn, 4 Blasters in Raider
5 Scourge, 4 Haywire Blasters
1 Beastmaster

Basic plan; Trueborn's Raider moves up and they disembark, Scourge move up to target secondary angle, Beastmaster leaps the shortest route possible. Knight player nominates shield facing, fire all weapons. In the assault phase the Beastmaster charges in, gets destroyed at initiative step 4, allowing both Trueborn and Scourge to fire again - boom dead Knight - and before he can make Stomp attacks. The mega blast is a concern but all in all this combo comes out cheaper than the target itself. Just keep the 2 shooting units within 7" of where the Beastmaster charges.

Curious to hear other players takes on the subject.

Technically this doesn't work, I don't think. I haven't looked up all the wording on this, so take with a bit of salt and feel free to prove me wrong(I may be.). But with soulburst actions, you're forced to perform the action immediately, meaning BEFORE the knight resolves the rest of the initiative steps of combat, consolidates, etc. This means that, despite the fact that the opposing unit has died, the knight is still considered to be in combat and thus isn't a valid target for shooting until the combat fully resolves.

I hope this is incorrect.

_________________
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix


Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-06-27
Location : Sydney

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 19:52

BetrayTheWorld wrote:


Technically this doesn't work, I don't think. I haven't looked up all the wording on this, so take with a bit of salt and feel free to prove me wrong(I may be.). But with soulburst actions, you're forced to perform the action immediately, meaning BEFORE the knight resolves the rest of the initiative steps of combat, consolidates, etc. This means that, despite the fact that the opposing unit has died, the knight is still considered to be in combat and thus isn't a valid target for shooting until the combat fully resolves.

I hope this is incorrect.

You know I think you are right in saying that an assault "soulburst sacrifice" may not work due to the wording

_________________
"I'm alive from this pain!"
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon
avatar

Posts : 3028
Join date : 2013-10-31
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 21:22

It works if the Beast master dies to overwatch, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Tue Feb 21 2017, 21:41

Jimsolo wrote:
It works if the Beast master dies to overwatch, doesn't it?

Yup, because no combat phase is ever initiated. Only an assault phase. (Again, my kneejerk reaction going from memory with no cross-checking of rules. Could be wrong, but doubt it.)

_________________
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix


Posts : 1036
Join date : 2011-06-27
Location : Sydney

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Wed Feb 22 2017, 07:47

Jimsolo wrote:
It works if the Beast master dies to overwatch, doesn't it?

Super Heavies cant fire Overwatch...but yes to everything else

_________________
"I'm alive from this pain!"


Last edited by 1++ on Thu Feb 23 2017, 06:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix
avatar

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2015-03-15
Location : Massachusetts

PostSubject: Re: Ynnari Knight killing tactics   Wed Feb 22 2017, 07:47

How do you mean, ie what is this in reference to? and we moved on to the Wraithknight at that point I think. Jimsolo is the only one who'd know for sure tho.
Back to top Go down
 
Ynnari Knight killing tactics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

 :: Dark Eldar Tactics
-
Jump to: