HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Help Starting from scratch.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lyndon
Hellion

PostSubject: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 02:36

Hi all I've just joined the forum following the jump from m ravenwing to Dark Eldar.

I'm in the process of selling off my large ravenwing army which is funding my Dark Eldar.

My questions are these regarding lists. I picked up two start collecting boxes and a venom so far but haven't built any thing yet as unsure on the best way to go about aiming for a list style. I can probably buy about 1850 points straight away but do not want to waist my money in getting infective units.

What would be the best 1850 starter list using the two sets and venom I have so I know what I need to purchase next as I sell off my other army.

Also any advice on Archon/ raider/ venom/ reaver/ kabalites warrior loadouts. E.g. Agoniser etc?

I won't not be magnetising so when I build stuff it'll be fixed.

I'm not new to 40k just dark eldar.

Any advise on the above would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 03:09

You will need lots of transports. Lots. They die like flies, so they need to be as numerous as flies. To afford that, you need to keep everything as cheap as possible.

Take a look at other lists on the List subforum to see what people run
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 03:27

That's like nothing in terms of points and foundational for damn near any list that utilizes the vanilla Dark Eldar Codex.

What do you want to do? How do you want to play? You need a lot more stuff at 1850 no matter what what you're going to do and since every approach is going to require different stuff better to have a plan going in rather than needing to buy 3500pts worth of mini's to tinker between.

For the squads you own: Barebones min squads of kabalites in basic raiders, barebones min squad in the Venom. Give the venom the second splinter cannon. Reavers in either squads of 3 or squads of 6 with arena champion, cluster caltrops, and it's up to you about the special weapon on a squad member. No agonizers or power swords. Don't take an Archon. Buy or kitbash a single lahmian or 2 medusae instead. You can also use your spare kabalite bodies to make a 5 man squad of Trueborn with 4 blasters and put them in a vehicle.

My parting words to you are: start reading through the forum content. You're comment suggests that your the sort who jumps in headfirst without looking and I hope your prepared to lose a lot of games as you figure this army out. Give us your ideas and we'll tear them apart for you for that's how you'll find ours and if you can't handle that this isn't the army for you.
Back to top Go down
Lyndon
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 07:45

amorrowlyday wrote:
That's like nothing in terms of points and foundational for damn near any list that utilizes the vanilla Dark Eldar Codex.

What do you want to do? How do you want to play? You need a lot more stuff at 1850 no matter what what you're going to do and since every approach is going to require different stuff better to have a plan going in rather than needing to buy 3500pts worth of mini's to tinker between.

For the squads you own: Barebones min squads of kabalites in basic raiders, barebones min squad in the Venom. Give the venom the second splinter cannon. Reavers in either squads of 3 or squads of 6 with arena champion, cluster caltrops, and it's up to you about the special weapon on a squad member. No agonizers or power swords. Don't take an Archon. Buy or kitbash a single lahmian or 2 medusae instead. You can also use your spare kabalite bodies to make a 5 man squad of Trueborn with 4 blasters and put them in a vehicle.

My parting words to you are: start reading through the forum content. You're comment suggests that your the sort who jumps in headfirst without looking and I hope your prepared to lose a lot of games as you figure this army out. Give us your ideas and we'll tear them apart for you for that's how you'll find ours and if you can't handle that this isn't the army for you.

That's great to start with. Didn't want to waste time building archons etc if I don't need them. As
It stands i think I get the jist to start with. I have been looking through butcas with any army the lists people use are varied.

I have a few ideas but getting my mind set away from playing ravenwing is the first challenge. I'll post up some list ideas for my first go for you to look over. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Archon Vitcus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 10:29

Have a look in the tactics section of the forum first off, there's a really good guide for how best to run certain things.

The start collecting box is a perfect start and the dark eldar one gives you pretty much the good stuff we have. Msu is your freind as dark eldar, we can spam 63pt units like no ones business lol. You've hit the nail on the head with the transition from ravenwing to DE, your going to be used to T5 bikers, 3+ saves, and good staying power. Your first game as DE will knock that right out of you lol.

Units to avoid. Wyches, hellions, incubi (depending), wracks (depending) blood brides.

Units to focus on. Warriors, venoms, grots, reavers, Talos and chronos, scourges.

You'll want to have a look at the coven supplement as well, grotquesuire and Corpse thief claw are pretty solid choices to build to as well as dark artisan. Even harlie allies have their uses with dark eldar if you want to avoid eldar units.

Cheap alternatives. Build additional warriors with the clingons from the raider and venom kits, you'll get between 3-7 extra bodies if you don't mind not having pilots and gunner crew. Crypt horrors combined with Talos kits can make really good grot conversions, 3 grots and a Talos for £60? As opposed to £90?
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 14:41

^^ All good advice. As stated above, we dont have ANY staying power. We make up for this with shear numbers. Ravenwing have staying power, we have numbers.

Our codex is still very underpowered, so dont expect to win too often. I have been playing the True Kin for a year now, and still only win about 1/3 games. But wherever you go, people will love playing against you because we bring a completely different army to the table, and the fluff always works (unlike the SM vs SM games that take up 90% of the tables at my LGS)
Back to top Go down
Lyndon
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Help Starting from scratch.   Sun Jan 22 2017, 15:10

Thanks for all the advice. I be been having a good read and kind of know what direction to take. Thank you.
Back to top Go down

Help Starting from scratch.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: