Share | 

New Dark Eldar player first experiences

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Thu Dec 01 2016, 22:57

Hi all,

I have finally got back in to the game having not played since 3rd edition. I thought I would jump straight in at the deep end by playing with Dark Eldar. I like a challenge.

So far my experiences have been very positive having won all my games but I admit that they have been relatively small and probably balanced in my favour.

First game:

Kill team game against Tau.

I had ten warriors w/ sybarite, blaster, splinter cannon and three reavers w/ blaster and cluster caltrops. He had ten fire warriors, that evil turret thing and two crisis suits.

Basically I ended up tabling him with only losing one model by the 4th turn. Pretty much all his guns were only 18" range so I played the range game with my warriors while using the reavers all together to pick off models that were isolated by wiping them in combat.

Second game and third games:

500pts against Harlequins.

Emperors Will Eternal War mission, then the eternal war mission w/ 6 objectives with the variable victory points on a 4x4 board with lots of ruins.

I had a blaster shadowfield archon, two five man warrior squads with blasters in dark lance raiders and two three man reaver jetbike units w/ blaster and cluster caltrops.

He had a maxed out cast of players including their dedicated transport.

Both these games I used the warriors and archon in the raiders to wittle down the cast of players over time. The first game I suicided the jetbikes into his unit hoping for the cluster caltrops to do decent damage but just ended up killing one guy and then getting slaughtered. Second game I used the jetbikes to take out the dedicated transport which worked much better.

Both games he managed to blow his shadowseers brains out with perils of the warp which was amusing but unfortunate for him.

I tabled him in the first game and he just had his death jester left in the second game but it was 10-2 to me in victory points.

Fourth game:

Kill team against necrons.

I had the same kill team as in the first game, he had 15 warriors.

4x4 table with a mix of LOS blocking buildings and some 5+ cover save stuff. Ended up being the mission with night fighting for the whole game which massively favoured me. 2+ jinking for the jetbikes and no penalty for me when shooting at him with the DE night vision Very Happy

Over the course of the game I lost three warriors and one jetbike while slowly but consistently concentrating fire on groups of his warriors and then using the jetbikes to attack isolated warriors in combat and then move back behind cover in the consolidation move.

The mobility of the my team combined with night fighting and some worse than average rolls for his reanimation protocols meant I tabled him on by turn six.

So yeah so far been quite successful but we'll see how things go as I build up my force and play some bigger point games against different opponents. Got a 750 point game lined up against chaos next week which should be interested.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Fri Dec 02 2016, 07:40

I don't get it. In your first game, aren't those guns deadly up to 30 inches?
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Fri Dec 02 2016, 13:35

Depends on what kind of weapon they were carrying. Remember that Tau are special snowflakes, with 3 different guns that can come standard on his fire warriors. I assume he took the Assault 2 (18") gun.

@hekatrixxy, dont get too cocky with those wins buddy Wink You were playing with a very competitive list, against some un-competitive lists. Espeically with the Harlie list, you had the "rock" to his "scissors". Deathstar usually looses out to MSU (which is what you are rocking).

But if you keep your tactics similar, and stay out of the trap of upgrading your units (making them too costly), you should continue to do well. The True Kin excel at MSU tactics (lots of small units in transports), so as your games increase in size, just remember to keep buying more venoms/raiders.

Otherwise, keep up the good work supplying the Dark City with slaves Wink
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Fri Dec 02 2016, 20:25

@CptMetal he was using pulse carbines instead of pulse rifles. Same strength and AP as the rifles but drop to 18" range and become assault 2 pinning instead of the 30" rapid fire of the rifles.

@fisheyes I completely understand that I was at an advantage in these games, especially the harlequins as he just couldn't put damage on enough of my units to make a big dent in my army and deny me the objectives.

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while soaking up knowledge about the army. I've listened to most of the splintermind podcast episodes, in particular the realspace raiding for noobs and tactics with Skari and the Spider episodes a couple of times. I've also watched pretty much all of the Dark Eldar battle reports on tabletop tactics freeview and on demand channels.

I'm definitely looking forward to expanding my force and fully intend to build towards having a whole bunch of warriors in venoms. My goal is to build towards a list that is kind of half way between Lawrence Baker's no retreat 2 and 3 lists. I'm not keen on the massive £ cost and points cost of the corpsethief (no retreat 2), and as cool as 36 reaver jetbikes is (no retreat 3), it is a bit too spammy for local non-tournament gaming. So my thoughts were to use a grotesquerie/dark artisan to replace the corspethief as the tough units while still having a large amount of reavers and venom warrior squads. Alongside that I would like to have 3 ravagers and possibly 2-3 razorwings so I can play around with more balanced lists vs MSU spam lists depending on my opponents.

Ultimately my goal is to experiment with the different units and figure out what I like playing with best. I've got my next game next week against Chaos (cultists + daemons) so we'll see how I do against them.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Sat Dec 03 2016, 09:42

There are more than one episodes with the Spider?
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Sat Dec 03 2016, 11:25

No I meant I have listened to those episodes twice. There are two episodes with Lawrence Baker though.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Sun Dec 04 2016, 02:10

Grats on your games! I'm pretty much in the same boat as your are Smile Looking forward to more of your battle reports.
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Tue Dec 06 2016, 23:54

Another game played and another victory for the True Kin!

Played 750pts vs Skitari which was cool as I have never seen them before. We played the maelstrom mission where you keep your objectives secret until you achieve them. We did agree to use the long edges for deployment though. I won the roll off for first turn and we got night fighting for first turn as well.

My list:

Succubus w/ AoM, HG, Glaive
w/ 9 wyches in a DL raider.

2 x 5 man warrior squads in dual SC venoms w/ blaster & sybarite w/ HG in both.

3 x 3 man reaver jetbike squads w/ blaster & cluster caltrops.

Sorry, painting starts this weekend!

His list (I don't know any of the upgrade names I'm afraid):

5 man unit of sicarian infiltrators, his warlord was in this unit
2 x 5 man ranger units
1 x 5 man vanguard unit
1 ironstrider walker

I rolled on the DE table for warlord trait and ended up with +1 WS after a reroll which wasn't super helpful for my already WS 8 Succubus. Also managed to roll a 6 on combat drugs for +1 LD. Doh!

Deployment

I deployed aggressively at the edge of my deployment zone and reasonably spread out but ready to swing to either side depending on how things went. He deployed mostly behind cover in his deployment zone but moved his infiltrators aggressively close and into cover.

Turn 1

I got big game hunter, secure objective 1 and secure objective 6. I swung left with my venoms and 1 jetbike squad to start putting the hurt on the infiltrators and claim objective 6. The raider and other 2 jetbike units swung right to try and take down the ironstrider.

All my dark light shots missed! No luck taking down the ironstrider this turn. All of the the fire from the venoms and the units inside only managed to do 1 wound on the infiltrators. I started to think I could be in for a tough game. Charged the infiltrators with 1 unit of reavers and managed to put 3 more wounds on them. He then proceeded to obliterate me with his return attacks. Some powerful close combat stuff in that unit. I won't be charging them again any time soon.

His turn he stripped 2 hull points off my jinking raider but both only glances so no explosions to hurt the wyches inside. He assaulted one of my venoms with the infiltrators and had no problem destroying that. Didn't pin the unit inside.

End of turn one he had first blood plus another objective, and I had a single objective so 1-2.

Turn 2

I drew a duplicate big game hunter on objectives.

Having realised what a threat the infiltrators could be I prioritised everything on taking them down as well as positioning my two remaining jetbike units to attack the ironstrider. The two warrior squads, one venom and pistols from the wyches managed to be enough shots to take out the infiltrators netting me slay the warlord. The jetbikes stripped one hull point from the ironstrider in shooting and it ended up being the normal S4 rending attacks that finished it off in combat. One of my jetbike units consolidated into cover but the other only got 1" on the roll so was left out in the open.

On his turn he stripped the final hull point from the raider, I passed the pinning check and deployed the wyches aggressively for a charge next turn. His shooting took out the jetbike squad that was in the open and a few of the warriors that had lost their venom.

End of turn two he got one more objective, but I had got duplicated big game hunter and warlord so 4-3 now to me.

Turn 3

At this point it was looking like I could table him so I stopped focusing on the objectives and went for the kill.

I swung all my remaining mobile units to focus on two of his remaining units. Set things up to make charges with the wyches and the reavers on two separate units and get enough shooting on both to take out a few models but not wipe them completely. The wyches charged one unit and the succubus killed them all before the regular wyches could even attack. The jetbikes had no trouble wiping the other unit.

This left him with a single unit which he advance towards one of my objectives with a lone warrior guarding it and had no trouble taking him down.

Turn 4

Advanced all my remaining units towards the final enemy unit. The wyches couldn't get line of sight so I just ran with them. Shooting from the venom and the jetbikes wittled them down a bit. Then I needed the charge on an 8+ to get one jetbike into combat and managed to roll a double 4 so just made it. Unfortunately the cluster caltrops bike wasn't in base contact so didn't get his d6 rending attacks. Thankfully he had done his special rule for the turn to get +3 WS but -2 BS so I was hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s and this was enough to wipe the unit getting me the victory.

So a fun game. Some crazy special rules for the Skitari both in shooting and melee. Definitely my mobility and the redundancy in my list helped get me through after a shaky start.

Hoping to get my grotesques built this weekend so I'll be dropping the sybarites and wyches to add those in to ride with the succubus instead for a revenge game next week where he will bring his cult mechanicus. I'm gonna have to listen the the splintermind episode on mechanicus for some tips I think!

Let me know if this battle report is ok/too long winded/not enough detail/not enough pics/why the hell haven't you painted your models yet etc and I will endeavour to do better the next time round.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Thu Dec 08 2016, 23:06

Love that batrep! Love the list.

I cant wait to see you develop into a nasty, tactical archon.
Back to top Go down
http://patreon.com/skaredcast
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Fri Dec 09 2016, 23:56

@Skari Thanks! That means a lot coming from a famous Dark Eldar player such as yourself!

Another game and another victory for the True Kin. Played against Craftworld Eldar for the first time in a 1000pts Maelstrom game. He had a wraigthknight so it was a tough match up.

My list:

Succubus w/ AoM, HG, Glaive w/ 9 wyches in a DL raider.
2 x 5 man warrior squads in dual SC venoms w/ blaster & sybarite w/ HG in both.
3 x 3 man reaver jetbike squads w/ blaster & cluster caltrops.
1 x triple dark lance ravager
1 x talos with chain flails and TL splinter cannon

His list:

Farseer and 2 warlocks
Wraithknight
3 x jetbikes (only shuriken cannons, not scatter lasers)
2 x 5 man ranger squads
1 x 3 man dark reaper squad
1 x howling banshees squad
1 x 10 man guardian squad with heavy weapon platform
1 vyper

This was an extremely close game. We played the maelstrom game where you draw number of cards each turn equal to the number of objectives you are currently holding at the start of your turn.

I had first turn so deployed forward in my zone relatively centrally so I could swing to either side as needed. His deployment was very spread out with his wraithknight and pyskers on my right. He infiltrated both ranger squads to about 15" away from me out of sight on top of two buildings.

He didn't seize so I got first turn. Two of my jetbike units shot and then assaulted his rangers to completely wipe them. Splinter cannon fire took out the dark reapers completely. I started my Talos moving up the board centre to target his guardians in close combat and swung my wych raider and some jetbikes left to deal with his jetbikes and banshees. My ravager stripped a hull point off his vyper.

His first turn he thankfully did very little damage with his wraithknight but did make it invisible which was fun. He tried to use his jetbikes to shoot and assault my raider but failed his charge leaving him open for me to wipe out in my turn 2. He use his banshees to shoot and then assault one of my jetbike units. Unfortunately for him he destroyed them just in the shooting phase so ended up being stranded in the open with nothing to assault and I was able to wipe them with shooting in my turn 2.

My second turn I also advanced the Talos toward his guardians ready for a turn 3 charge. One of my jetbike units got a charge off into his psykers killing the two warlocks and knocking the farseer down to 1 wound. My ravager managed to finish off his vyper.

His turn 2 he charged my jetbikes in combat with the farseer and did the usual stomp nastiness and had no problem taking them out. I think he took out one of my venoms as well with shooting from it.

My turn 3 I wiped the rest of his guardians with the Talos in combat and tried to start stripping wounds from the wraithknight. At this point I thought I was looking good to table him. I was wrong!

I quickly realised I just didn't have the firepower left to take down the wraithknight as he managed to take out my ravager and psychic shriek my poor Talos before it could try and charge.

At this point I was running away with the maelstrom so I started hiding my units as best I could until the end of the game. His farseer manager to kill himself with perils but did manage to keep the wraithknight invisible. Question: Do I get slay the warlord for his farseer killing himself with perils of the warp?

I deployed my units out of transports to give him too many targets to take down in the remaining turns and managed to survive to the end of turn 6 when the game ended. I had a raider with 1 hull point left, 6 wyches, 1 venom, 1 warrior and 2 warriors. So barely hanging on but a victory none the less. Final score was 12-2 to me. His wraightknight was down to 2 wounds by the end of the game.

It was pretty satisfying to beat an army with a wraightknight in it given all I have heard about dark eldar not being competitive, wraightknights being OP etc, but a little frustrating that I had to spend turns 4-6 basically running away and only taking potshots at the knight.

What are some good tactics against wraightknights to take them down quickly and reliably and put a big whole in the plans of any more eldar forces I might face?

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   Tue Dec 20 2016, 15:29

@hekatrixxy

It's tough to analyze this batrep because in each turn you left quite a bit of units out of your summary. But as general advice, it seems to me there are two options when dealing with an army that's prettymuch built around one unit, such as a Craftworld army with Wraithknight. You can either pump everything into the one big expensive unit, or take out everything else. If you try to do both, you're not very likely to succeed.

Something I heard on the Splintermind podcast that has drastically changed the way I'll be approaching games is the idea of taking your entire 1000 points army and putting it up against 250-500 points of your opponent's army at a time. How you choose what small part of the enemy army to focus on depends on your understanding of your opponent's list and what weapons you have at your disposal - in this case, he was built around the Wraithknight and used many other units to support it. If you're not confident you can pump everything into the Wraithknight and kill it, the best option is to ignore it and take out the support.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Dark Eldar player first experiences   

Back to top Go down

New Dark Eldar player first experiences
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Realspace Raids
-
Jump to: