HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kabal of The Warded Blade

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sat Nov 26 2016, 12:59

I finally took the plunge and started a DE army. I'm getting back into the hobby having not played since 3rd edition as a kid.

So far I have got a start collecting box built and I managed to pick up the older battleforce box brand new from ebay which I am in the process of building. Also bought and built a Succubus. I have two Venoms, some more Reavers, some Crypt Horrors and a Talos on order as well. This should give me enough stuff for the following units in a ~750 points list:

Succubus
2 x 5 man Warrior squads in Venoms
3 Grotesques in Raider
3 x 3 Reaver Jetbikes

So far I am incredibly impressed with how good the DE models look especially compared to the squad of marines I got from splitting the kill team box with a friend. Reavers in particular are some amazing looking models.

In terms of future expansions to the army my plan is to incorporate Ravagers, more Venom Warrior squads, a Grotesquerie, a Dark Artisan, Razorwings and lots more Reavers. This should give me plenty of options for different lists that use the more effective units from the codex that I also like the models for. For example I know people like to run Scourges but personally I'm not a fan of the models.

In terms of a theme, "The Warded Blade" comes from The Demon Cycle book series by Peter V Brett. The gist of the story is that demons rise from the ground each night, but humans have "wards" which are hand painted symbols that can serve as both defensive and offensive markings on buildings and weapons. See http://www.petervbrett.com/2013/01/18/ward-grimoire-wardcraft-wards-techniques-to-survive-the-naked-night/ for an example. The wards share a striking similarity to DE symbols from the codex so I thought they would make a good fit, for example some of the offensive wards on the blades of my models, and defensive wards on vehicle armour, kneepads etc.

For a paint scheme I love the colour purple for DE so I am going to go for something similar to http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-eldar.html (don't like the gold gun) but with lime green and white for accessories, hair etc. I haven't bought any paints yet so I will be making a post in the painting and modelling section as I will need some help picking out all the paints I will require.

Here is a pic of what I have built so far:

I look forward to posting further updates over the coming weeks and winning some raids for the True Kin!
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Thu Dec 01 2016, 22:35

My first two venoms are now build along with another ten warriors, ten wyches and another raider. The beginnings of a force are starting to come together.

Played a game against the owner of a new local gaming shop tonight. Once I figure out what paints I need he's gonna hook me up with a discount on buying them all at once which is cool.

My order of a talos, some crypt horrors (to make grotesques) and some more reaver jetbikes got posted today so they are next on the assembly queue then after that I will start painting.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Fri Dec 02 2016, 14:05

Nice, looks like a good start for the True Kin!

Some pointers: As someone who has routinely run both a DA and a Grotesquery, dont. It takes up too many points, and just doesnt leave enough room for fast Venom/Raider squads to grab objectives. I would recommend going one way or the other (I personally went Grotesquery route, and have not looked back).

The wych models are one of the best in GWs range. I love their running legs, quite possibly THE best running pose out there. I just bought a box for the legs only, and love how they look on the scourges (without the wings they look very cool).

Keep posting your stuff, and let us know how those crypt horrors/grots come out! I know I had a blast bashing them togeather (and was one of the reasons I started DE in the first place)
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Fri Dec 02 2016, 20:30

Thanks!

I wasn't intending to run the DA and Grotesquerie at the same time in a list. I just wanted to have the option of either as a single tough unit to complement all of the venoms, raiders and reavers.

My haemonculus model arrived today and hopefully the crypt horrors/talos order will arrive on Monday. For sure I will post how the grotesque conversions turn out.

This weekend will be planning out the details of how I'm gonna paint everything up so I can buy the paints next week and then hopefully have something a bit prettier than all that grey plastic to post to this log.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sun Dec 04 2016, 02:13

Do you plan on converting your Grotesques (or other units for that matter) at all? Anyway I look forward to seeing your army painted Smile
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sat Dec 10 2016, 19:33

A big update this time. This is all the models I will build until everything is completely painted.

First the grotesques. Made using crypt horrors and left over parts from a Ttlos. It took me quite a while but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. The running one will serve as an aberration for lists that have one.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sat Dec 10 2016, 19:36

All of my coven stuff together:

The talos base is magnetised. The gun hasn't been glued on as I want to magnetise all of the gun options first.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sat Dec 10 2016, 19:37

All of my wych cult stuff. I've decided to name the cult Khaides Wrath after the poisoned river in comorragh where the reavers do races.

All of the jetbike bases have been magnetised:

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Sat Dec 10 2016, 19:39

And finally the kabalite stuff:

Painting starts tomorrow and I can't wait to have the models come to life with a bit of colour on them.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Mon Dec 19 2016, 17:12

The Grot Conversions look amazing dude! I cant wait to see what they look like painted up!!
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Mon Jan 23 2017, 08:41

Progress has been slow, but here are a few pics of what I have done so far. Two venoms are completely done apart from crew. The other two venoms still need the green details doing. The two raiders are coming along but still have quite a way to go. The reavers are coming along nicely, again apart from the riders, with just the green details to do on the bike hulls. Once the vehicles are done I will move on to the larger models (grotesques, talos) before finally tackling the regular troops. I want to hone my rusty skills before tackling the smaller models.

Twisted

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Mon Jan 23 2017, 11:52

Looking good! As someone who severely dislikes painting vehicles I must say I don't envy your task :S

Loving the colour scheme though Smile look forward to more!

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
hekatrixxy
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   Tue Jan 24 2017, 07:48

Painting the vehicles is fine for me actually. Lots of big flat areas and easy to access details compared to the infantry models.

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of The Warded Blade   

Back to top Go down

Kabal of The Warded Blade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: