HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

3D printers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: 3D printers   Wed Oct 05 2016, 15:49

Hi. In the following months, a new 3D printer should be released. ONO 3D printer. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, but for the others, it's a 100$ printer that use you smartphone to harden liquid layer by layer. The resolution seem rather good.

Now that the base have been said, here my question: Did someone else thought about the opportunity to use it to print 40K models? It could be a good way to have our expensives grots and sslyths.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Wed Oct 05 2016, 15:51

I'd rather print terrain pieces with that because the quality of most our models is quite awesome. And grotesques are better as converted crypt horrors anyway.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Wed Oct 05 2016, 20:11

Until I had to replace the Axels on my truck I was going to purchase a 3d printer for terrain and I wanted to design some custom vehicles and vehicle parts. The Ono looks like it might be good for printing small components on like weapons.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Wed Oct 05 2016, 21:14

What program do you use to create those needed 3D models?
And what programming language is that?

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Wed Oct 05 2016, 21:42

I use Autodesk (http://www.autodesk.com/), it is a CADD (Computer aided drafting and design program), because I have been trained to use it and have it for free. FreeCAD (http://www.freecadweb.org/#) is a decent program that is, well free and can do many of the things that Autodesk is capable of.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Sat Oct 08 2016, 07:57

I have a 3D printer - not a cheap one either - and can safely say the time and cost to print things at a resolution you MIGHT be ok with is way more than just buying the model in question

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Sun Oct 09 2016, 18:05

I agree with Massaen, and at least for a few more years (although probably more like a decade) 3d printing isn't going to be any sort of competition for GW.

The reality is that if you're really interested in duplicating... anything in near perfect detail, the technology has already existed for years in the form of (much cheaper) RTV silicone/composite resin kits.  These are basically what GW uses to make their finecast, and what counterfeiters in china or russia use to copy them.

And ya I know we have rules against discussing duplicating copyrighted material on the forum.  I've been casting all kinds of stuff since I was a teenager, mostly in low melt metal and it never even occurred to me that you could duplicate models before I discovered a blog somewhere about a guy basically turning his garage in to a factory.

TLDR; when GW or the counterfeiters start 3d printing their models is about the time to look in to it yourself.
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Tue Oct 11 2016, 14:47

It wasn't only about duplicating. I just don't like having only 1 model for sslyths, for example.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Tue Oct 11 2016, 17:37

Resolution just isnt there. You can see a SM eye lense, but the skulls just come out as blobs. Some people were "immersing" the rough models in a gas bath, which blended the layers togeather, but you lost even more detail.

The technology just isnt ready for the 28mm scale. Maybe another 5 years
Back to top Go down
dumpeal
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Tue Oct 11 2016, 19:18

You tried with extrusion techology ou lythography?
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 3D printers   Tue Oct 11 2016, 23:51

@dumpeal wrote:
It wasn't only about duplicating. I just don't like having only 1 model for sslyths, for example.

If that's the issue you just have to either give up on GW exclusive models, or convert the heck out of something (or both).  If I end up over at the storage unit any time soon, I'll dig my sslyth conversions out and snap some pics to show what you can do just with lizard men.

Even with conversions though you'll still need your opponents permission, and in my experience non-GW models haven't ever really been an issue (but I don't play in a GW store either).  Anyway, a quick search pulled up about two pages of potential models like these:

These can usually be had for about $2 a piece from online game markets.  I'm not entirely sure on scale but they all look to be on 30 or 40mm bases - and you'd still need to find shardcarbines somewhere (which isn't hard).
Back to top Go down

3D printers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: