HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

1750 DE against Orks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
flakmonkey
Sybarite

PostSubject: 1750 DE against Orks   Thu Sep 22 2016, 09:19

So I'm hoping to play aa game soon against a mates Ork army.

It's a pretty hardcore CC list, with Nob biker squads and lots of trukk mounted Boyz. Ive played against it with my Renegades and Heretics list and had Orks in my face by 2nd turn.

I thought I'd try a Dark Eldar list this time, with some of my own heavy hitters.

This game wont be an objective-based thing, it'll be more of a slaughter-everything-in-sight thing.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers

HQ
Succubus
- Archite Glaive, AoM
Runs with the Grot squad

Troops
Kabalite Warriors - 5 Warriors in Dual Cannon Venom
Essential fire-support

Fast Attack
Razorwing Jetfighter
-Lances, Splinter Cannon and Mono Missiles
Fire support, aiming for those big blobs of Boyz

Heavy Support
Ravager
- 3 Lances
Ravager - 3 Dissies
Hope to pop a few trukks or the Battle Wagon

Coven Unbound/Formation
CORPSETHIEF CLAW - 5 Taloi, 2 Ichor Injectors
The heavy lifters of the list

Groterques - Aberration with Agonizer, and 5 Grots
Back-up CC

Harlequins Unbound
Shadowseer - Mask of Secrets,
Will also run with the Grot squad, hoping that a -4 to enemy Ld will force a few breaks

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sun Sep 25 2016, 00:47

I see no one has any improvements to offer.
I honestly don't see what else I could do, a Grotesquerie would be cool, but by taking an Unbound squad of Coven Grots I get the benefit of their own PfP table, without havin to split them up. Also the HQs running with them should increase their effectiveness.
I don't think the Orks will have any answer for the Corpsethief, I fully expect it to mulch anything it touches.

Still, happy to hear from others.

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sun Sep 25 2016, 17:32

I would prefer the grotesquerie. They are damn awesome. When you get the pick ups out of your way, you can outrun him pretty easy and kill him with venoms. But I'm not experienced against Orks...

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sun Sep 25 2016, 18:28

Can you use unbound elements?
I thought then your whole army becomes unbound.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sun Sep 25 2016, 20:29

Additionally: are you able to break Orks leadership? I thought they had a special test instead...

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sun Sep 25 2016, 22:30

CptMetal wrote:
Additionally: are you able to break Orks leadership? I thought they had a special test instead...

There are specific circumstances that can break orks leadership based on the way their rules are worded. I actually didn't know that either until I played an ork player and we had to look up the specifics. He didn't know that either, and was under the impression they could always use their chart. Turns out, orks have a pretty major weakness, though I don't recall off the top of my head the details.

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Sep 26 2016, 06:31

Yes this whole list is unbound as presented.

I'd also like to know what that weakness is if someone thinks of it/checks their ork codex.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Tue Sep 27 2016, 20:48

amorrowlyday wrote:
Yes this whole list is unbound as presented.

I'd also like to know what that weakness is if someone thinks of it/checks their ork codex.

Same here. Anyine got an Ork codex laying around?

I know it's unbound, but as I said not playing for objectives, just KPs and FB, WL and LB.

I could make the Grot squad a Grotesquerie, but I'd have to drop the Razorwing and Shadowseer. I'm just worried if I make the Grots smaller than 6 man they won't do well aginst Ork numbers.

It may not be worth the whole attack Ld thing anyway.
I think if you drop their Ld they still take Mob Rule checks.

Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Wed Sep 28 2016, 17:33

The razorwing will do a lot of work against orks. I would leave it basically stock, just upgrading the Splinter Cannon.

Why are you going unbound? It seams that the only real reason is to get the Shadowseer. If your playing orks, I really dont think you need to handycap them any more... (IMO they are even worse than DE right now)
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Thu Sep 29 2016, 21:43

So made the list Bound, cut out the Shadowseer and single Grot squad and added a Grotesquerie

Cheers

HQ
Succubus
- Archite Glaive, AoM
Runs with the Grot squad

Troops
Essential fire-support

Fast Attack
Razorwing Jetfighter
-Dissies, Splinter Cannon and Necro Missiles
Fire support, aiming for those big blobs of Boyz

Heavy Support
Ravager
- 3 Lances
Ravager - 3 Dissies
Hope to pop a few trukks or the Battle Wagon

Coven Formations
CORPSETHIEF CLAW - 5 Taloi with Splinter Cannons
The heavy lifters of the list

Groterquerie
- Haemonculus with nothing
-Aberration with Agonizer and 3 Grots
-3 Grots
Large Squad will have the Succubus, smallrr squad will run with Haemon. Most likely hit the same enemy with both squads

Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Fri Sep 30 2016, 18:13

Are you looking for additional comments?

I'd

1. cut the dissie ravager
2. put the aberration with the agonizer in the small squad (aberration and 2 grotesques)
3. buy that squad a naked raider
4. Put the haemonculus in the large squad with the succubus
5. Buy the haemonculus a vexator mask.
6. buy the large squad a fifth grotesque and make one of them a plain aberration.

Squad in the raider can deepstrike for support or start on the table. Large squad's aberration takes all challenges except for things that either strike before it, in which case the haemonculus tanks it; or will survive, strike back and kill the aberration and multiple other models but will definitely die to AP2. In which case the Succubus takes it.

This opens up 2 more play options gives you 1 additional t5 body and a relic and only cost you 2 dissintegrators.
Back to top Go down
doriii
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Sat Oct 01 2016, 00:03

what i see is nothing that can pop a trukk. one ravager and a couple of dissies aint gonna do it. also my grotesquirie is always: haemy/scissorhand, 3grots/raider/lance x2. that way you can gang up with two squads or split them up for smaller units and making good use of their "rampage" rule. they have a chance of 9 attacks on the charge with rage and rampage so 2x3 guys is plenty. Adding guys is really just point sink, they get stuff done at the 3 mark. Also that leaves more for the rest
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Oct 03 2016, 01:58

False. Adding bodies changes the very essence of the unit. 3 man squads put leverage on rampage to be offensively focused and kill squads of meqs etc. 5+ man squads are T5 3W meat shields protecting the squishy violent center attached IC's provide. 3 Grot squads very quickly stop providing the majority toughness necessary for them to be used that way.
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Oct 03 2016, 15:21

I will also put my $0.02 towards 3 man grot squads, in Night Shielded Raiders (no lances). As others have said, 3 man works by making use of your Rampage.

@amorrowlyday, I disagree with what you are saying about 3 man squads (if I understand your post). 3 man is fine to accompany 1 IC, and keeps the majority T5 without problem. 3 Grots with either the Hemy or Succy will allow each unit to get off Rampage, and provide the leadership until turn 2 fearless arrives.
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Oct 03 2016, 19:20

Correct, but that is using the IC as a bandaid to cover the LD4.

I'm talking about using the grotesques as a bodysuit to keep squishy T3 IC's without Eternal warrior alive, and in that capacity there is a world of difference between 2 3 man squads and a six man squad especially if your list also contains force multiplier IC's that need a home.

For instance: say you wanted to double stack the two -2LD bubble artifacts. The best way to keep the 2 of them alive is going to be T5 bubble wrap. Sslyths are the cheapest option but will be wasting their 18'' range in order to accommodate the aom. So at that point the heartiest meat shield is either going to be Clawed Fiends or Grotesques. If you put each IC in a different squad of 3 other bodies both the ability to provide the meatshields with buffs is halved and the structural integrity of units is heavily compromised since each of those individual squads can be focused down, but a six or eight grotesque ball will probably still have enough bodies to make the t3 center still appear to be T5 long enough to accomplish the IC's goal.
Back to top Go down
doriii
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Oct 03 2016, 21:14

yeah, except you are also doubling the points youre throwing into the unit. that means less stuff elsewhere in your army. 3 grots abby/agonizer is heaps of points that can be put in venoms for example. it all depends on what you want from your army and what roles you put on each unit. i at least think grots fulfill their role at 3 guys. de dont do deathstar very well i might add Cool
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Mon Oct 03 2016, 21:24

Which may not be a possibility if your playing in a 3 detachment limited format. Your heaps of points is also quite a bit lower if we're just buying unupgraded bodies.

In short I'm not building a death star. I'm building a 500pt speed bump against Death Stars, and unlike your ~350pt 3 man squads that will tie up a true death star for 1 player turn I can expect to hold it for 3. #hypercool

But seriously tho. I'm not trying to degrade the 3 man squad, I'm making the case that there are circumstances where larger squads of them are better than more squads.
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Fri Oct 07 2016, 22:20

Wanted to say thanks for all the advice, unfortunately still haven't played this game, RL keeps messing with it.

Definitely finding myself in the camp that prefers 3 man Grot teams for IC delivery.
Played a 800 point game with a 4 man and 3 man squad, and the 4 man was just too much. 3 man did the job comfortably, next time I'll sacrfice the 4th Grot for some blasters.

Again thanks for the help.

Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Fri Oct 07 2016, 22:23

You should never take a four man as rampage is worth a hell of a lot more than 3 more wounds. spend the points elsewhere. It's either 3 or 7+ and those 2 units handle very differently and should be used for very different purposes.
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Tue Oct 11 2016, 08:34

Hey, I was going to add in here that fear tests suck for orks. Mob Rule doesn't work against fear tests so stuff like Harlequins, Covens get a great buff from leadership shenanigans. Forcing Orks to hit on 6s in CC greatly reduces their potency and momentum! Try and charge and counter charge the orks so they can't get S4 from Furious charge. Their base strength is only 3, so Grotesques do great work against them!

Twisted

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Tue Oct 11 2016, 09:39

Hmmm, so if you were planning on having two ICs with your squad of grots in a raider (Succubus & Autarch), would you instead try to squeeze two squads of 3 in raiders with an IC in each as opposed to one squad of 4?

Check out may pan-Eldar projects Smile Exodites, Corsairs, Craftworld, True Kin, Croneworld (soon) and one Shadowseer!: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t14405-corsairs-exodites-craftworlders-and-hopefully-kabalites-soon
Back to top Go down
fisheyes
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 1750 DE against Orks   Tue Oct 11 2016, 17:11

Lets keep some perspective people. He is going against Orks with the Grotesquery and a razorwing. They have no counter to this. I highly doubt that you will be sweating at any point of this game (unless your buddy is significantly better than you at this game)
Back to top Go down

1750 DE against Orks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: