Share | 

Harlie Hacks - help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Klaive
Hellion

PostSubject: Harlie Hacks - help!   Tue Sep 06 2016, 09:16

Hi folks.

I find myself in need of a little help and advice. I picked up Death Masque a week or so ago, and I've gotten my Harlies up to painting stage. Now I'm struggling with the diamond pattern!

I've followed the advice on the Warhammer TV clip, painted the lines etc. Firstly I'm struggling to get the lines consistent and looking even. Then filling them is is just not working out.

Initially I have cut some diamonds out of masking (..masquing..) tape and stuck it on to guide me with doing the lines. This helped but is still not great.

I will not compromise on this, I have this scheme in my head that will not let me rest until it is on the model, but my execution is just terrible and I'm failing to live up to the vision I have! Does anyone have advice on a good technique for the diamonds?

(ps how about the join line in the model, does anyone else completely miss the most obvious things until they get to the painting stage?? I can barely see it with my naked eye, but it's so "there" in the photo. Glasses time maybe...)

Dark City Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t11127-the-rusty-klaive

Painting Blog: The Rusty Klaive
Back to top Go down
therhino
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Harlie Hacks - help!   Thu Sep 08 2016, 19:11

A couple questions for you to help us figure out what's wrong...
Which color did you put down first? From what I can see, it looks like you did the purple first, yes? If so, you did it backwards. Paint the dark color over the light color.

What size brush are you using for the black lines, and how thin is your black paint? It appears you used a thick brush and the paint was a tad too thin. An easy way to practice making lines is to prime random lengths of sprue or extra bitz, and then spend time drawing lines on them with your brush until you get the hang of controlling both the paint to water ratio and the behavior of your particular brush.
Back to top Go down
Klaive
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Harlie Hacks - help!   Thu Sep 08 2016, 23:21

Correct, purple went down first, then I painted in the lines and filled the orange. I then touched up the purple (and everything else that needed rework).

The black was thin but I'd prefer to practice with thin paint that won't build up too much - it took lots of rework to get the lines to a point I was ok with.

I've continued practicing since posting the other day. Brush size was actually something I realised and have since changed. The lines are much better now and the fill much neater.

I'll have a crack at swapping the colour order around and let you know how that pans out.

Thanks for the ideas/help - much appreciated.

Dark City Project Log: http://www.thedarkcity.net/t11127-the-rusty-klaive

Painting Blog: The Rusty Klaive
Back to top Go down
therhino
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Harlie Hacks - help!   Thu Sep 08 2016, 23:50

Glad to hear it's improving for you. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down

Harlie Hacks - help!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: