HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tegs
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Fri Jul 29 2016, 00:51

Because of what I can only describe as haphazard storage practices on my part (ziploc bags in cardboard boxes with no padding is fine right?), I had two punishers on old Incubi pewter models break off, along with the head of a warscythe on a Necron Lord.

The hafts are so thin that I can't drill and pin them.  I know some people can, but I don't have the experience or hardware to do so.

I do, however, have a soldering iron.

It worked surprisingly well.  Oddly, GW's pewter has a higher melting point than lead, so I didn't have to worry about melting the models.  I did find that the solder didn't want to bind as well as I'd like, so I put a few coats of ultra-fine super glue over top once everything cooled.

There was an unexpected benefit; one of the punisher blades was lost at some point, so I trimmed down and soldered on a spare blade from the old Talos model.  It looks pretty slick, I deliberately used a bit too much solder and pulled it away to create a hand guard.

If anybody else finds themselves in a similar predicament, soldering definitely gets the job done.

http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/19/51/82/00/solder11.jpg

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Fri Jul 29 2016, 03:34

Because of an act of cat, the punisher in the photo broke again. I tried slowly increasing the temperature until I was able to slowly melt some flashing, and reattached it by melting the pewter itself. Now it's more solid than original since the break point is thicker.

I guess the cat taught me something, even if the intended message was "Feed me already!" :-)

Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Fri Jul 29 2016, 03:46

Cats. Cats. Evil or Very Mad

I applaud you for breaking out a soldering iron and giving some love to the old Incubi!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Fri Jul 29 2016, 07:42

@tegs wrote:
Because of an act of cat, the punisher in the photo broke again.  I tried slowly increasing the temperature until I was able to slowly melt some flashing, and reattached it by melting the pewter itself.
I read that as you attached the cat to the punisher

Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Sat Jul 30 2016, 23:43

Just the alloy nerd in me but those models may actually be lead, while most modern solder contains none (by law).  I don't remember when GW took out all their lead, but it was somewhere in the 3rd or 4th edition so it's a definite possibility.

Lead actually melts at a significantly higher temperature than either the tin or bismuth it was replaced with.  There Are additives that increase the melting temperature of pewter, but generally they're used in low end alloys and pretty noticeable since they change the hue of the material when used in any real quantity.  GW on the other hand was pretty proud of their "white metal", so I doubt there is anything appreciable besides tin.

Come to think of it, I've actually melted down a few GW models in my day in the hopes that whatever antimony they contained would lend strength to what I was casting, and I can tell you there is little to none - although the tin probably helped the (predominantly lead) castings out anyway.
Back to top Go down
tegs
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together   Sun Jul 31 2016, 07:26

@Kantalla wrote:
@tegs wrote:
Because of an act of cat, the punisher in the photo broke again.  I tried slowly increasing the temperature until I was able to slowly melt some flashing, and reattached it by melting the pewter itself.
I read that as you attached the cat to the punisher

Don't think I wasn't tempted. :-p

Soldered old broken pewter punishers back together
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: