Share | 

Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 16:24

Ok, hear me out here...

A Ravager with three lances is cheaper than a kabalite warrior squad of ten with a dark lance in a lanced raider by about 35 points, and has one more DL shot BUT:

-the kabalites have obsec in a CAD.
-the kabalites can freely move 12 inches and fire every turn because they only have two lances to fire
-the kabalites can multi-target (raider fires one way, kabalites the other)
- if forced to change roles, poison.

What do you think? A viable alternative to fielding raiders? is obsec worth 35 points more and the loss of a DL shot? Let's not forget you could field these kabalites in the new purge coterie!
Back to top Go down
Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 16:26

Of course, in a purge coterie I guess they would lose obsec which is the nicest thing...
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 16:34

Well you can't move 12 inches freely because per FAQ more than a 6 inch move forces passengers to shoot snap shots. A stationary raider with night shields on an objective might be an option. But I'd rather have the extra shot, mobility, and be a cheaper unit. I like the outside the box approach though

Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 16:43

@RedRegicide wrote:
Well you can't move 12 inches freely because per FAQ more than a 6 inch move forces passengers to shoot snap shots.

The Dark Lance is heavy anyway so any move is forcing snap shots.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 17:34

I read here that 5 Warriors with 1 Blaster (Assault version of Dark Lance but with only 18" range, can fire normally after moving, unlike the Dark Lance) embarked on a Venom with 1 extra Splinter Cannon (always take the extra cannon) are quite popular.

I guess at 120 points it's a bit cheaper than a Ravager and more versatile, but only has one Lance shot, the Blaster. Twelve shots poison at 36" are none too shabby though.

Also Blaster needs only 5 Warriors total to become available, not 10 like the Dark Lance, so you could put 5 Warriors + Blaster on a Raider + Dark Lance, at 115 points also cheaper than a Ravager and 2 Lance shots, even though one is shorter ranged.

CurstAlchemist
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 18:35

Keep in mind that Ravagers are AV 11 to the Raider AV 10.
Back to top Go down
RedRegicide
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 18:37

That av 11 makes a huge difference too.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 21:47

Looks like the Ravager wins! Still, it can be fun to evaluate non conventional choices now and then Smile
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   Thu Jun 30 2016, 23:02

In 3rd we could have a single lance between 5 Warriors, or 2 of them between 10. In 5th, we could put 3 Trueborn with 2 Dark Lances (Lanceborn), potentially in a raider, as a cheap, wannabe Ravager.

Ahh... reminiscing about our old codexes.

I think Dark Lances on infantry have gotten progressively worse. Anytime you consider playing Dark Lances on infantry, you're probably better off playing Blasterborn; 5 Trueborn toting 4 Blasters in a transport. They have much more mobility since their guns are assault, and the raw quantity & cost of weapons per model works out much better for them.

Warriors in a Lance Raider with a single Blaster can work. That option would rack up 115 pts, is fairly mobile, has two S8 AP2 shots which can fire independently, and still retains Obsec (on two units). I tend to avoid Blasters altogether if I'm playing Warriors in Venoms though.

PostSubject: Re: Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?   

Back to top Go down

Ravager or Kabalite squad with DL?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: