Share | 

Starting with Dark Eldar

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:40 pm

I have a suggestion for the sprues. Take the bits you want to keep off and put in a box then with the rest of the sprue either a) Cut into pieces with your plastic cutters or b) put in a blender on pulse until they're mashed up into little itty bitty pieces you can then use them for rubble in scenery

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:44 pm

I save all my sprue for the day when I have the time and quantity to build a 3000pt Sprue-Necron army!
Back to top Go down
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:45 pm

You mock but it's a cost effective way to make DE terrain (eat that Forge World)

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm dead serious. I want to go to England walk into the Big Warhammer world and field an all sprue Necron army.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Technically follows their rules, too. They're 100% GW bits! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Alright, I'm back from my vacation. I've read Andy Chambers' "Path of the Renegade" and "Path of the Incubus" and am currently reading the final book "Path of the Archon". I can highly recommend these books, even though they are surprisingly "mild". I expected a great many descriptions of torture and the gore of battle, along with maybe even a bit of sex - Wyches tread the arena sometimes naked after all - but those passages are often just briefly described. Shame, I would have liked a darker Commorragh after all.

Back to to topic!

Studying our codex I just realised that Wracks do NOT come with a Splinter Rifle. I was always under the impression they did and thus was baffled why no one seemed to like them. Seeing now that they only come with two (4+ poison) handweapons I can understand why they are considered bad. Why is it that so many of our awesome models have such crap rules?! T_T

On another note, the assembly and painting of my army comes along nicely. Last week I finished painting all the stuff from the Start Collecing Box (except for the Archon) and today I have picked up two Venoms, a Talos and a box of Kabalites, along with a Succubus (just finished painting her, I love the model!), a Shadowseer, a Death Jester and a Solitaire. Once all this is assembled I'll field my small Kabal into battle for the first time. Most likely against the Orks of my buddy. I might proxy some models a bit to test out certain units.

I'll report my findings in a different thread. Most likely I'll open up a new thread for my Kabal in the appropriate sub-forum, along with some pictures of my army, battle reports (text, not video) and so on. I just need a name for my Kabal...
Back to top Go down
Hellraiser
In Exile

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 pm

A good starting point for beginners to get into competitive play is the venom spam.

Last edited by Hellraiser on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:17 pm

LOL. Raider spam is not competitive.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:51 pm

Haha, he must have edited it to say venom spam after the fact. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 am

Guys, quick question:

Should I build the Cronos or the Talos first? I haven't got any Grots or Incubi so far. So would the Talos be better (since he would give me at least one CC unit) or the Cronos because of his flamer and the improved FNP?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 am

Talos.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am

@amorrowlyday wrote:
I save all my sprue for the day when I have the time and quantity to build a 3000pt Sprue-Necron army!

Not to derail the thread further, but I sort of did this in 5th or 6th edition fantasy - although it was with goblins.

Mostly it was snotling pump wagons and other war machines built out of chunks of sprue with the occasional heads and arms popping out here or there.  I wish I had pictures of it but this was back before you couldn't leave the house without 3 digital camera modules in your pocket.

I sold the whole army on ebay maybe a decade ago for an astonishing amount... astonishing until I think about the hundreds of hours I spent gluing tiny chunks of sprue (and my fingers) together.
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 am

Got some questions regarding HQ wargear:

1. When would you give the Archon a Shadowfield? I know that people don't take the Archon that often, but I have read multiple times that the Shadowfield is an auto include. Maybe for an LD bomb ala Archon w/ Shadowfield, AOP, WWP along with a Shadowseer w/ Mask Of Secrets and/or a Grotesquerie?

2. Is the Nightmare Doll worth taking when using the Dark Artisan? The point cost is pretty heavy, but a 3+ FNP, rerolling 1s sounds really awesome!
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:43 am

1. If you're taking an Archon, I ALWAYS take a Shadowfield. If nothing else, it makes him a Cannon-sponge.

2. 3+ FnP? Sorry, fraid not. The benefit of the Spirit Probe (which I think you're thinking of) can only go to a max of 4+. I never take a Nightmare Doll. It just isn't worth it. I might throw spare points as a Sindriq's Hump, but thats it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 am

Quote :
3+ FnP? Sorry, fraid not. The benefit of the Spirit Probe (which I think you're thinking of) can only go to a max of 4+. I never take a Nightmare Doll. It just isn't worth it. I might throw spare points as a Sindriq's Hump, but thats it.

The Chronos gives the Haemy 4+ FNP and the Nightmare Doll gives +1 to FNP ROLL you make. So the Haemy would have 4+ FNP but he only needs to roll a 3+ to "reach" the 4+ FNP roll, since the Nightmare Doll adds +1 to any FNP roll he makes.

Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 am

That there is probably a RAW vs. RAI argument, but I really don't think that means what you think it means. Granted we're not dealing with the best worded book here, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't work that way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 am

Care to explain why it shouldn't work that way? The Nightmare Doll modifies the ROLL, whilst the Spirit Probe directly enhances the FNP threshold. Otherwise the Nightmare Doll too would have a sentence like "This can never take the FNP below a 4+" etc.
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 am

@Squidmaster wrote:
That there is probably a RAW vs. RAI argument, but I really don't think that means what you think it means. Granted we're not dealing with the best worded book here, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't work that way.

I'm pretty sure it does. There is a clear difference between having FNP (3+) and having FNP (4+) with a +1 bonus to your roll. Necron Reanimation Protocols have very similar rules in that you generally pass on a 5+ but various abilities give a bonus or penalty to the roll.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 pm

^This. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rewind
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 pm

@Causalis wrote:
Is the Nightmare Doll worth taking when using the Dark Artisan? The point cost is pretty heavy, but a 4+ FNP, with +1 to the roll, rerolling 1s sounds really awesome!

Would this discussion have started if this was your edit?
Back to top Go down
Rewind
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:46 pm

@Causalis wrote:
Is the Nightmare Doll worth taking when using the Dark Artisan? The point cost is pretty heavy, but a 4+ FNP, with +1 to the roll, rerolling 1s sounds really awesome!

Yes the NMD is worth it, if you have the DA between the Grots. from the Grotesquerie Smile

Edit Starts:

Thinking about it, if u +1 to your roll, you can never get a 1 to re-roll?

Or is a 1, always a 1?

Last edited by Rewind on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't want to triple post lol)
Back to top Go down
Causalis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Quote :
Thinking about it, if u +1 to your roll, you can never get a 1 to re-roll?

Or is a 1, always a 1?

Good question. I would say it is a re-roll as the rule says to "re-roll FNP rolls of 1". I would interpret that it is about the number on the dice (=the number of the roll ) and not the final value after boni/mali.

Quote :
Yes the NMD is worth it, if you have the DA between the Grots. from the Grotesquerie

How are the Grots relevant for the intrinsic value of the Doll? It only effects the Haemy.
Back to top Go down
Rewind
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 pm

@Causalis wrote:
How are the Grots relevant for the intrinsic value of the Doll? It only effects the Haemy.

If the Haemy in the Grostesquerie has the Doll
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting with Dark Eldar   

Back to top Go down

Starting with Dark Eldar
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-