HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kantalla
Sybarite

PostSubject: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Mon Jun 06 2016, 07:33

I have been revising my planned tournament list for later in the year because I had the points totals wrong, and have been given a unit of Fire Dragons, so started thinking more seriously about including Eldar in the list.

I still want the list to be predominantly Dark Eldar, and would like to make as much use of the new models I have. Any unit underlined, I have already and would prefer to keep in the army.

At this stage my list looks like this:

Dark Eldar CAD
Archon(Agoniser, Shadowfield, The Armour of Misery, Webway Portal) 175

4 Lhamaeans 4 Sslyth in Raider (Night Shields) 210

5 Kabalite Warriors in Venom (Splinter Cannon) 105

3 Reavers (Cluster Caltrops, Heat Lance) 73

Ravager (3 Dark Lances, Night Shields) 140

Voidraven Bomber 160

Eldar CAD
Farseer (Eldar Jetbike) 115

5 Fire Dragons 110

5 Wraithguard (D-Scythes) 210

3 Windriders (3 Scatter Lasers) 81

Falcon (Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Field) 155

War Walker (2 Bright Lances) 70
War Walker (2 Scatter Lasers) 60

Total 1850

The Archon is intended to WWP in with the Wraithguard, with the Farseer joining them depending on psychic powers and opponent. In most cases that would be rolling Telepathy and aiming for Invisibility, with some bonus Psychic Shriek.

Dragons are running in the Falcon.

I have a couple of concerns, in that I feel a bit light on objective secured, and my anti-tank feels vulnerable to someone getting the Falcon and Fire Dragons down while it is still on my side of the table.

Any suggestions to improve the list?

Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Mon Jun 06 2016, 09:01

A Wraithknight is by far the best unit in the game right now, followed closely by Warp Spiders. However with the planned changes to the FAQ it does reduce how ithe knight gets it's cover save.

I've not played with a knight before nor do I intend to (DE purist right here) but if you want allies I'd be seriously looking at how to work one in, as well as the Spiders.

I'm sure there are others that would like to chime in on their efficacy though

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 02:09

If you dropped both war walkers and the voidraven, that'd be all but 5 of the points you need for a wraithknight.

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 03:26

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
If you dropped both war walkers and the voidraven, that'd be all but 5 of the points you need for a wraithknight.
But I wouldn't then have majority Dark Eldar, and wouldn't field my favorite model (the Voidraven).

I thought of a couple of alternatives in terms of the list. I swapped out the Court for an empty Raider to carry the Fire Dragons, and another Ravager, dropped the Falcon and War Walkers, plus some gear on the Archon to get a Wraithknight:

Dark Eldar CAD
Archon (Agoniser, Clone Field, The Parasite's Kiss, Webway Portal) 145

Raider with Night Shields 70

Voidraven Bomber 160

Eldar CAD
Farseer (Eldar Jetbike) 115

5 Fire Dragons 110

Wraithknight (2 Heavy Wraithcannon, 2 Scatter Lasers) 325

Total 1850

The only way I can see to get Warp Spiders in as well would be to drop the Wraithguard, and swap the Farseer's bike for a Singing Spear, to get an Aspect Host of Fire Dragons and two Warp Spiders. I see the Wraithguard as my anti-Wraithknight or heavy tank unit, and I feel like the Warp Spiders could do a great job on the monsters, but would leave me light on the tank busting. However, I'm open to a convincing argument otherwise.

Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 08:04

Most of my advice would have to do with the things you don't want to remove.

Barring that, I think it all looks pretty good, except I'd be kind of concerned about the surviveability of 5 fire dragons in a raider. I feel like they'll only make it to a target about half the time.

If you dropped their raider and the night shields from the ravagers, you could get another archon with a WWP. Not saying this is ideal either, but it's another option. You should have the surviveability to weather a turn against almost any opponent with both your fire dragons and wraithguard in reserves since you have the wraithknight.

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 09:09

Sword and board Wraithknight?? He'll go through anything from what I've seen.....

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 10:23

I'm noticing the trend on the stuff I don't want to remove!

I agree about the risks for Fire Dragons with only a Raider as a transport. I felt more comfortable with a Falcon transport with Holo Fields. I like the idea of using my newly painted Raider, and it feels weird having a list without one altogether. I will think about the second WWP option instead.

Any recommendations on the setup for the Wraithknight? The Suncannon option reminds me of old school Disintegrator Ravagers, and I remember fun times with squads of Marines evaporating in front of those. My instinct was the ranged strength D weapons, rather than going strength 10 to strength D in melee. However, the invul save would be nice too.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 19:06

The wraithknight DID take a big hit to it's surviveability with the change to toe in ruins for GCs, so the sword and board wraithknight is definitely a way to get some of that back. That said, his offensive power, while very good in melee, is tempered by the fact that it's going to take time to get him into melee most of the time.

I'd personally probably go with the randed D weapons on the wraithknight. But I'd also probably be running a list that ensure no one could use 1st turn deep strike shenanigans or anything to deny my knight's cover save by filling my own deployment zone so that there was no room to deep strike/outflank.

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 21:05

My thinking overnight was that I would change the intent on the Farseer to normally go Sanctic, looking for Gate of Infinity as the 'transport' for the Fire Dragons, with the Raider as backup. I could still set up next to the Fire Dragons in the hope that someone is silly enough to waste firepower on the Raider before the Farseer deep strikes them into position anyway.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Wed Jun 08 2016, 03:45

@Kantalla wrote:
I could still set up next to the Fire Dragons in the hope that someone is silly enough to waste firepower on the Raider before the Farseer deep strikes them into position anyway.

No one I play with regularly would make that mistake. Knowing what psychic powers your opponent got are priority 1.

That said, I suppose that's an OK strategy. It could work really GOOD though if you change it slightly. It currently still leaves you vulnerable in the event you don't get gate. My suggestion would be to still swap out the raider and night shields for the archon with WWP. Then, if you DO get gate, put said archon with the heat lance reavers and no scatter deep strike some heat lance love. And if you DON'T get gate, your archon keeps your fire dragons useful.

This way, 0% risk. Either way it happens, get gate or don't, the Archon is a positive for you. That's generally how I play, and how I build lists. I try to shift the risk assessment as close as possible to 0% risk of failure.

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Wed Jun 08 2016, 08:02

I see the sense in those suggestions. I would like to find a way to keep the Raider in the list in some form, but I'm not seeing the space for it unless I dropped the Voidraven, which I really don't want to do.

I didn't like the idea of being reliant on a strategy with a 50/50 chance of having the right psychic power, but reasoned the Raider there as a backup was OK. The opportunity to WWP in the Reavers or a unit of Windriders makes that an interesting option.

With the changes suggested my list looks like this:

Dark Eldar CAD
Archon (Agoniser, Webway Portal, The Armour of Misery) 135
Archon (Blaster, Webway Portal) 110

Ravager (3 Dark Lances) 125
Ravager (3 Dark Lances) 125

Voidraven Bomber 160

Eldar Craftworlds CAD
Farseer (Singing Spear) 105

5 Fire Dragons 110

Wraithknight (2 Heavy Wraithcannons, 2 Scatter Lasers) 325

Total 1850

At this point it is mostly fiddling around with wargear. I went with a Singing Spear on the Farseer to improve the odds of the Fire Dragons finishing a tank, but that means I can't fit a Clone Field in on the first Archon.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Wed Jun 08 2016, 17:29

Everything looks good with 1 suggestion: I'd drop the blaster on the second archon and give the farseer back his jetbike. In the event you don't get gate, that jetbike is going to allow him to join a unit of jetbikes for safety and mobility to run around casting his witchfires he must have got instead of gate. Wink

I know it seems like a waste to buy an archon an not have any weapons on him, but I don't see any other tradeoff that is worth it to give him a blaster.

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Wed Jun 08 2016, 21:20

I can envisage the warlord Archon having set up the new Archon without giving him any gear... "Here is your new Huskblade, Dra'kir. I know it might look like a cheap imitation, but it will start to work once you close with the enemy"

However, if I do the switch for the bike on the Farseer, that means I need to drop the Singing Spear to be majority Dark Eldar again. Perhaps that plus turn the Singing Spear and Armour of Misery into a Clone field?

My thinking without the bike was without gate, the Farseer would probably join the Wraithguard, which would give him the ability to get into Witchfire range. The bike option does help there too, if he needs to go witchfire something on his own, which was the idea in giving him the bike in the first place.

Would you go Singing Spear + Armour of Misery + Blaster -> Clone Field + Eldar Jetbike?

Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Thu Jun 09 2016, 07:29

Doing some further tweaking of character loadouts, how about swapping the characters to:

Succubus (Archite Glaive, Webway Portal, The Parasite's Kiss) 135
Archon (Blaster, Webway Portal) 110

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Fri Jun 10 2016, 02:56

I normally would never suggest an archon over a succubus, but in this case, since it costs you the armour of misery, I'm going to.

Having thought about it, with you planning to put the farseer in the unit with the deep striking wraithguard, I think that's a fine idea, and ensures the farseer has a place to go either way. It also means that you can perfectly position the farseer for maximum carnage if you get the "cleansing flame" NOVA power.

The armour of misery is going to help this unit SOOO much. It will help them get out of combats, and it will help them by forcing potential attackers to run away after they're shot. Even moreso if you put a farseer in with them. (Don't forget to have your opponent roll morale tests for wounds in the psychic phase - cleansing flame is AMAZING for this. Do 2 wounds to multiple 5 man units and watch as they all run off the board.)

So in essence, I like the last full list idea you posted. Do it up and let us know how it goes! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Fri Jun 10 2016, 08:03

One last little tweak I think is worthwhile - what about changing the characters to:
Succubus (Archite Glaive, Webway Portal, The Armour of Misery) 145
Archon (Haywire Grenades, Webway Portal) 100

Whether with the Fire Dragons or Reavers, the Haywire Grenades can be in range, and will be similarly effective to the Blaster. That way I have the melee ability of the Succubus and the Armour of Misery in the list.

It will be a while until this list is on the tabletop, as there is a lot of painting to do, and a few models to buy. Might have to start a project log to document how it is going. The list looks competitive and interesting to play - thanks for your inputs on it.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850   Fri Jun 10 2016, 16:31

Yeah, I think this last tweak is good. It also makes the wraithguard a more scary CC unit to discourage charges, you know, from those things not discouraged by 5d3 Strength D wall of death autohits. Wink

Dark Eldar / Eldar 1850
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: