HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hardest models to put together?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Umbralz
Hellion
Umbralz

Hardest models to put together? Empty
PostSubject: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2016, 11:31

Hey all, just wondering what were the easiest/hardest models for you in DE to put together? And for all the armies?

Heard whispers of the horrors of drop pods...

Just bought my first box of Kabalites and a Venom, seemed pretty simple. The Venom, however, made it apparent I need to get better at cutting with clippers off the sprues as well as cleaning up for next time. Never done anything like this before and while it's not 100% completely perfect i'm super happy of at least getting my first piece(mostly) done.

Next up is actually painting it, to which i'm terrified about but that's another matter...
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2016, 12:33

The DE line, in my opinion, is really a pleasure to put together as I feel everything fits so nicely. I think one of my favorites has been the Razorwing, just elegant to assemble. I can't really think of any piece I would call hard to put together that I've done - though from all accounts probably the toughest DE model would be the Tantalus from Forgeworld, which is a tricky beast.

The worst GW model I've ever done was the old Landspeeder model - forget about it.

Back to top Go down
Nyx_Necrodragon
Kabalite Warrior
Nyx_Necrodragon

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeTue May 31 2016, 16:46

They're all pretty easy, they only really get hard when you start kit-bashing and converting. I've found the Tenebral Shard from the Silver Tower game fiddly but he makes a great male Succubus so totally worth it.

Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01 2016, 19:37

I never thought of using him as a stand-in, I'll have to remember that.

Hardest model to put together in DE....Hum, well, I think as long as you clip and trim well, everything slides together nicely. HOWEVER the thorny bits on the side of the Raiders gave me the most trouble the first time I assembled them....

Hardest model, period?Not sure...I'd say the Silver Tower enemies, there is a certain type, which has the strangest way to click together...

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04 2016, 22:13

The hardest Dark Eldar (and probably general GW) model I ever had the displeasure to work with is the plastic Haemonculus: A bunch of fiddly and fragile bits that can hardly be painted properly after you gluing them together. On my first take on this model, one of the tubes snaped while I was just cutting it out of the sprue.
And on top of that, it's really not a conversion-friendly kit. No other parts from the Dark Eldar line fit on it without green stuff, and even fitting it on a different base deco/stand than the one it comes with is stupidly difficult.

The easiest models, imo, are the Reaver Jetbikes. I could finish six of them faster than ten Warriors.
Back to top Go down
Elvellyn
Hellion
Elvellyn

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2016, 08:26

Hardest? Grotesques. I have 2, cut and mold line removed, but never assembled. The pieces just don't fit together and i can't green-stuff to save my life. I've heard tips (such as running them under hot water) but i'm afraid i'll mess it up and just make it worse. Why is the spine so long compared to the torso?! There is about a 1/2 cm gap between the torso and the legs.

Easiest? Anything else. Aside from Raiders and Ravagers, i'd rank them in the middle. They aren't hard, but they did give me some grief for about 10 minutes (i couldn't get the upper half to sit nice on the floor, leaving gaps).
Back to top Go down
DEfan
Sybarite
DEfan

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2016, 09:47

The old school Talos has caused me grief. The top triangular "head" bit left gaps with the body, the skinny arms wouldn't adhere to the arm joints, even when pinned, and the blade legs are very easy to snap off when they get bent. But I really wanted a CTC so I have persisted. I have thrown on plastic parts when possible.

The new raiders are great...until you get unlucky like I did. Someone tipped a chair on my army box while I had the lid open. There is one particular raider that just will not go back together again unless I use a significant amount of putty. Several times I have tried to re-glue it but the shell always either pops in half or pops off.

Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2016, 14:35

Worst in GW range goes to the thunderfire cannon - metal. Fine cast was only a little better.

DE - the range is pretty good for plastics and nothing really stands out as bad or hard.

When you add FW to the mix the tantalus is a huge pain...

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Rokuro
Wych
Rokuro

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05 2016, 20:11

@DEfan wrote:
The new raiders are great...until you get unlucky like I did. Someone tipped a chair on my army box while I had the lid open. There is one particular raider that just will not go back together again unless I use a significant amount of putty. Several times I have tried to re-glue it but the shell always either pops in half or pops off.

Best rebuild it into a terrain piece, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09 2016, 21:56

Metal Lelith. I wanted to pin her weapons to arms and this is so damn small parts. Also metal Incubi - hated their back blades.

Plastics are all cool. Finecast is ok if you have not damaged one.

Chaos
Slave
Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2016, 10:24

I'm just Shocked by this Chaplain 3d printable design. Hardest models to put together? Chapla11
Hardest models to put together? Chapla10
Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite
Korazell

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10 2016, 16:48

Dannnggg, where did you get that? I want to paint it.

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hardest models to put together?   Hardest models to put together? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hardest models to put together?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: