Share | 

ITC Freakshow at 1850

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Fri Jun 03 2016, 19:58

I reread the Perils chart, and you seem to be correct. (Although I still need to clarify if Fearless units are immune to the 2-3 result.)

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing that Corsairs can take Daemonology at all, though? I can't find that anywhere.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Fri Jun 03 2016, 22:38

Jimsolo wrote:

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing that Corsairs can take Daemonology at all, though? I can't find that anywhere.

All psykers can take both sanctic and maelific daemonology unless it specifically says otherwise, as per the main rulebook. Here is the quote:

Rulebook wrote:
Unless otherwise stated, all Psykers, other than those belonging to the
Tyranids Faction, can generate powers from the Daemonology discipline. The
Daemonology discipline has not one, but two different sets of powers, one labelled
‘Sanctic’ and one labelled ‘Malefic’. Each time a Psyker generates a power from the
Daemonology discipline he can choose to generate it from either the Sanctic or Malefic
set of powers. For the purposes of Psychic Focus, the Sanctic and Malefic sets of powers
are different psychic disciplines.

It later goes on to say Grey knights can't take Maelific, and Chaos(but not CSM) cannot take Sanctic.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Fri Jun 03 2016, 23:19

Yep, just found it. (Weird placement, imo.)

Follow up: do you see where the Prince can buy a second ML?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Fri Jun 03 2016, 23:42

No, I saw where it was mentioned, but have no idea what it's referring to. Seems like they probably accidentally left it out, or put that line there about getting a third level as some sort of future-proofing.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon Jun 06 2016, 23:26

Tried the list out today.

Rolled GOI on the Daemonology table, essentially spending 20 points for an extra warp die and no powers.

I'm wondering if paying for the Prince's ML is even worth it? If so, I'm wondering if Divination might be the better bet. While there are fewer great powers on the chart, and more useless ones, the Primaris is guaranteed and is always useful.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Tue Jun 07 2016, 01:40

There is certainly something to be said for guaranteed powers. But prescience simply isn't that good on most of what you have in your army. You only have 2 targets that it'd make sense to use it on:

1 - The seer council
or
2 - A scatterbike squad

Both of these units have the same strengths and weaknesses:
Strengths: Weight of Attacks & High relative weapon strength
Weaknesses: No respectable AP.

In the seer council, they're all BS4 or BS5 already, with 9 S9 attacks. The things that singing spears are good against, like vehicles and high toughness creatures with poor saves(4+ or worse) are already going to die. The rerolls to hit won't really change that much.

Same with scatterbikes. On the scatterbikes it makes a little more sense because they don't have any BS5 in the mix, but they're already hitting so many that the rerolls won't make a huge difference.

On the other hand, some of the powers you can get on sanctic will make an enormous difference. I understand that you rolled the single worthless power on the list. That doesn't make the plan to use sanctic bad. That's like saying D strength weapons suck because you rolled a 1 once. Wink

Because ITC events are multiple games, you should anticipate that you will get something useful MOST of the time from sanctic. About 1 in 6, or 17% of the time, you'll get GOI. In that relatively uncommon instance, sure, you'll have "wasted" 20 points against non-daemon players. But it's sort of the same as if you take a shadow field and roll a "1" the first time you use it. In that instance, it was wasted, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good purchase to begin with. Maybe try it a few more times before you make a final decision.

Is there a better place you think you could put the 20 points?

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Tue Jun 28 2016, 04:47

FFS.

The new ITC FAQ poll results are up, and this army just got bent over the pickle barrel.

The short version: the GW FAQs won't be in effect, so Shriek will still have to roll to hit. (Boo.)

Far worse: the Void Dreamer can't use Warp Tunnel to transport the Grotesques anymore. Stupidity. I hope whoever voted for that result gets dog cancer.

I've asked the TOs if they're going to use these late additions to the ITC FAQ for the event, but they're still deciding. (They said they should know by July 3rd, so everyone will have at least 30 days advance notice.)

If they uphold the Warp Tunnel ruling, what do you think is the best course of action? My initial thought was to drop the Void Dreamer altogether in favor of another Grot in the small unit and a Webway Portal for the Haemonculus. (On a short table they could still footslog, but if my deployment is short edges, coming in from Reserve on t2 and charging t3 would be as fast if not faster than trudging up the board.) If the Prince pulls GOI I can always stick him in with that unit to shave a turn off.

Anyone else have any thoughts on damage mitigation here?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Tue Jun 28 2016, 18:31

Jimsolo wrote:

The short version: the GW FAQs won't be in effect, so Shriek will still have to roll to hit. (Boo.)

Is this in the ITC rules somewhere, because prior to the GW FAQ, it was frequently debated with what seemed like an even split of players saying each way. I can't recall what the ITC specific ruling was.

Jimsolo wrote:
Far worse: the Void Dreamer can't use Warp Tunnel to transport the Grotesques anymore. Stupidity. I hope whoever voted for that result gets dog cancer.

Yeah, this ruling makes warp tunnel almost useless, since corsairs by themselves don't really have any units worth teleporting to assault. I stated my displeasure with these rulings to Reece. I'd like to see the ITC move away from voting for specific rules, and just let people periodically elect rule MAKERS. People who are intelligent, unbiased, and capable to make these calls instead of allowing a public that will invariably be influenced by the armies they play to make the detailed decisions.

Jimsolo wrote:
If they uphold the Warp Tunnel ruling, what do you think is the best course of action? My initial thought was to drop the Void Dreamer altogether in favor of another Grot in the small unit and a Webway Portal for the Haemonculus. (On a short table they could still footslog, but if my deployment is short edges, coming in from Reserve on t2 and charging t3 would be as fast if not faster than trudging up the board.) If the Prince pulls GOI I can always stick him in with that unit to shave a turn off.

Anyone else have any thoughts on damage mitigation here?

One option would be to drop the void dreamer and take a fortification with an escape hatch. This would allow you to slingshot your 10 grots up to 18" plus run move on turn 1 without having to worry as much about your raider being blown up.

Could go with a wall of martyrs imperial bunker w/ escape hatch for 80 points. That bunker also makes a really good bunker for heavy weapons since it allows up to 8 models to fire out of the front 2 firing points, in case you wanted to swap out a unit of bikes for some balestrikes or something. Basically, it'd allow you to throw the balestrikes into the bunker right after the grots exit.

Just an idea. I've used the escape hatch trick with wraithguard to maintain pretty solid control of the middle of the table. Gotta bear in mind that the escape hatch is a two-way portal though, so you can also embark units into it to get back to your deployment zone quickly.

ITC Freakshow at 1850
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: