Share | 

ITC Freakshow at 1850

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sat May 28 2016, 02:12

Here's what I have for my new crack at this.

Eldar Formation Detachment-Seer Council - 625
Farseer (Jetbike, Singing Spear) 120
Farseer (Jetbike, Singing Spear) 120
Warlock Conclave x7 (Jetbikes x7, Singing Spear x7) 385

Corsair Combined Arms Detachment - 535
Corsair Prince (Jetbike, Shadowfield, Mask of Secrets, Void Sabre) 150
Void Dreamer (Shadowfield) 115

Cloud Dancers x3 (Scatter Lasers x3) 90

Covens Formation: Grotesquerie - 680
Grotesques x10 (Aberration, Scissorhand)
Grotesques x4 (Aberration, Scissorhand, Raider with Dark Lance, Shock Prow)
Haemonculus (Scissorhand)

That leaves me 10 points to play with, which would probably go to buying Enhanced Aethersails for the Raider and a 5 pt upgrade to one of the HQs.

The basic idea is that the Void Dreamer will see where he goes based on his powers rolls. (Although if he gets either of the powers that can jump his unit across the board, he goes with the 10-man Grot unit.)
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sat May 28 2016, 05:07

Nice idea. A couple minor suggestions if you didn't plan to do it already:

1 - Always max out the void dreamer and prince's psychic level.
2 - Always have a way to make them fearless.

Corsairs have a really NASTY perils chart, UNLESS you're fearless, then the chart becomes largely irrelevent, allowing you to risk perils at will with virtually no chance of negative outcome. You already have the ability in this list to make them fearless by putting them in one of the grot squads, or in a squad with the Haemonculus. If you don't go with the Haemonculus, however, you'd be risking turn 1 perils, which would sort of suck, but if it launched 10 grots across the table, I suppose it could be chalked up to an acceptable loss even if he died.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sat May 28 2016, 23:16

So long as he's attached to either the Grots (with the haemmy) or the Council (with the Prince) he'll have Fearless from T1.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 05:20

Ah, I forgot that the mask of secrets gave the fearless special rule. Nice setup you have there! Wink

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 08:27

I have a question that I have been meaning to ask for a while and is kind of relevant to this list. Most psycers there data slate says that thay can generate powers , in the corsair data slate it says may choose. Dose that mean corsair psycers can chose instead of rolling for powers, or is this just likely a typo or irrelevant wording. Sorry if this has already been covered some where, or if it is to far off topic. I just thought it might be relivent to your army list.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 15:27

I'll ask that question to the rules committee for the event, but for my money they would have to roll like everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Deathwasp11
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 17:26

Yeah I kind of thought the same thing, bit there is clearly a difference in wording that would give the corsairs an advantage.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 19:21

Yeah, it says choose, but TOs might make you roll. I've talked to 1 about it previously that I know is ruling it that way.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 19:24

Yeah, I didn't even notice it when I read the book, the to for my next event actually brought it to my attention. So lucky me I guess.
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Sun May 29 2016, 20:08

Forge Wrold. Yuck. But having said that (because ill always pretty much say that) it does look great on paper and i would totally proxy/try this out.

Post us a battle repot! i wanna see it in action.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 00:54

I definitely fear running into a Knights list.
Back to top Go down
Deathwasp11
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 01:12

I like the list a lot, I don't have enough grotesque to even begin to try it out.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 08:09

You should find out if they're playing with the new FAQs in effect or not. If they are, you should expect to see a higher than usual turnout of imperial knights.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 16:50

They are.
Back to top Go down
Deathwasp11
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 16:56

Would it be beneficial to make the corsair CAD in to a raideing fleet, you already have every thing you need to do so. The troops are still objective secured.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 17:11

Might could be. Which specialization, though? I'm thinking Hate Bringers or Titan Breakers.
Back to top Go down
Deathwasp11
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Mon May 30 2016, 17:23

That's a tough call, I like both of those a lot, or even skyburners if you want to deepstrike your cloud dancers.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 00:42

I'm debating what Psychic Disciplines to go with.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 02:58

Are you putting the prince in the seer council? What units will they be in? If so, I'd probably consider going sanctic daemonology on either the prince or the dream duder. The fact that they have a perils chart they can largely ignore with fearless makes one of the major downfalls of both sanctic and maelific daemonology a moot point.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 03:32

The Prince is definitely going in the Seer Council. The Void Dreamer, I'm not so sure about.

My plan as it is:
Prince - ?
Void Dreamer - Corsair-specific discipline (the ability to jump units across the table is too good to not try for.

Farseer 1- Telepathy
Farseer 2- Fate
Warlocks- Battle
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 03:41

Then I'd go sanctic daemonology. Several of those are good for you. 3 different witchfires, sanctuary improves all of their invuln saves by 1, gate teleports them anywhere on the table(probably not super usefule for jetbikes), and hammerhand gives everyone +2 S.

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 04:31

You don't think Divination might be more useful?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Wed Jun 01 2016, 04:53

Nah, in the unit he's in, everything you shoot at is going to get a save anyhow. No AP on singing spears, so even the best power in divination(perfect timing) wouldn't be that useful to that particular unit. Getting a nova witchfire power that hits every unit in an 18" bubble for 2d6 S5 ignores cover autohits, or a Strength D blast COULD be game changing, though.

I once nearly ended a game on first turn with nothing but a no-scatter gate of infinity and a well-placed cleansing flame that single-handedly wiped out half of a DE army.

Basically, making all your warlocks and farseers have a 3+ invuln save, or getting any of the witchfires is good. So you've only got 1 power in that chart that isn't useful. That's how I like to decide psychic charts. Which ones give me almost guaranteed utility? In my opinion, that's sanctic daemonology for you in this case.

The only one that isn't useful to you is gate of infinity.
Hammerhand has limited utility because of fleshbane, but helps your prince in a big way.
1 witchfire(purge soul) is a focused witchfire that only does 1 would with no saves of any kind allowed, but calls for a contested leadership check which goes well with your mask of secrets.
All 3 of the others are really good for your unit.

50% odds of getting a really good power per roll...I don't think there is another chart that will give you those kind of odds, but would be interested in hearing about it if there is. This is my kind of list. Wink

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Thu Jun 02 2016, 03:33

Here's my reservations: In Sanctic, the Primaris is largely worthless. Sanctuary is good and Purge Soul is alright (like a poor man's Mirror of Minds). Cleansing Flame and Hammerhand are extremely situational. Vortex of Doom is way too risky for what you get.

To manifest a 2 WC power, the Prince requires 5 dice to have a better than average chance at success. 7 for a 3 WC power. The odds of him PoWing are virtually guaranteed. While 3 out of the 6 results will allow him to manifest the power and ignore them (and the 2-3 result is maybe ignorable, I'm still waiting on a clarification for that), a 1-6 chance of my guy turning into a daemon under my opponent's control is a fairly large risk.

Going TK or Divination dramatically lowers the risk of PoWing.

Divination: Prescience (Primaris), Misfortune, and Perfect Timing are all awesome. Foreboding and Precognition are both extremely situational. Scrier's Gaze and Forewarning are both next to useless.

Telekinesis: Telekine Dome is completely worthless. Psychic Maelstrom is pretty damn sweet. Shockwave isn't just good, it also benefits from the Ld negatives in the list. The rest of the powers are decent witchfires (or a decent witchfire-like malediction).

I'm leaning towards TK for the Prince, I think.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: ITC Freakshow at 1850   Thu Jun 02 2016, 05:38

@Jimsolo wrote:
Cleansing Flame = extremely situational.

If, by situational, you're saying that an assault 2d6 autohitting S5 ignores cover 18" blast of doom is always welcome in any situation, then we're in complete agreement. Very Happy

Honestly, it takes out entire armies. If you position yourself within 9 inches of 4 infantry units, that's 8d6 S5 autohits. Cleansing flame is magnificent.

@Jimsolo wrote:
Vortex of Doom is way too risky for what you get.

Vortex is risky if you're using it to clear out a guardsman blob, sure. If you're using it to kill a wraithknight, a knight, or some superheavy vehicle, it's not too risky, in my opinion. Based on the reading of the corsairs perils table, they basically ignore all but 1. The 1 is a big one, sure. But a 1 in 6 chance of dying to take out a superheavy is probably worth it, so I don't necessarily view it as risky.

Basically what I'm saying is that sanctic fills a niche in your seer council. It helps them with killing superheavies and wraithknights if they get vortex, which they otherwise struggle against(I play them more than any other single unit) because they don't have any AP on their weapons, so they either get crap results on vehicle damage charts, or wraithknights just blow off the wounds like they normally do against everything else. If they get cleansing flame, it helps them quickly get rid of masses of troops like guardsmen and such.

In my opinion, the 2 you dubbed situational are among the top 3 in sanctic. Sanctuary, Cleansing Flame, and Vortex, generally in that order.

But hey, we all have our own styles, I suppose! Let me know what you decide, and take some pics or something! Good luck either way. I look forward to hearing about your experience! Very Happy

ITC Freakshow at 1850
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: