Do you prefer the old or new models?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 17:25

@Cavash wrote:

I prefer the old warriors, Wyches and Scourges. All kinds of mandrakes are ugly!

You monster. Razz

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Thu Jun 02 2016, 06:06

The new models. I still like the old Archon with the claw and skin mask, the first Urien mini and thought the old incubi were okay.

I still think there are serious gaps in the model range for DE. Grotesques, the royal court and beastpacks all of those could use a box. Seeing some folks conversions are really cool though.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 08:52

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
I find it ironic that people jump to the defense of someone who clearly said 2 sculpts were definitively worse than new ones in this thread, against someone who added 1 further defnitively worse sculpt to that group. It's typical of modern day "Tolerance" that people hide behind the aegis of being accepting of all people's opinions and ideas, except yours because they disagree with you. Wink

This entire line of discussion started in response to someone saying that the old warriors were, hands down, no competition worse than the current ones, but all other's are debateable. My entire POINT was that he was making a blanket statement that maybe not all people would agree with, but that if he was willing to go with a "Well, most people would.." philosophy, then there is no reason it'd stop at only warriors. It's widely said that the current wych models are some of the best models GW has ever produced for DE. I don't think anyone will argue with that. But when I respond to someone who literally did the same thing twice more in the thread, you decide to argue with me while casually telling him he's right on a comment that completely destabilizes your entire argument.

Some people just love to hate, I think.

I'm a little confused. "I don't like the thing," is a reasonable statement of opinion. I'm allowed to not like the old Nagash. "I never want to have to look at a classic Dark Eldar model again, because if I do I'm afraid my eyes will start bleeding," is a totally reasonable position for you to take, and I am not trying to criticize you for it.

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
The new sculpts are inarguably better. Only nostalgia would prompt someone to argue otherwise. If I showed the 2 images to people who know nothing of 40k and asked which was the better sculpt, I imagine the percent of people who'd choose the old sculpts would be close to 0, with any over 0 coming from self-identified public trolls.

I took this as you saying that nobody actually prefers the old models, and that people who claim to, such as Thor and myself, are either motivated by nostalgia (because they don't actually like the models better) or are just trolling (because they don't actually like the models better). Do I have that wrong? Because it seems like you're saying I don't actually like the things that I like. Which is weird.

cyclops <-- Friendly!

BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 17:46

Look, when I say "Nostalgia", take it to mean whatever you need it to mean to make sense in your head. Pretty much the ONLY people who'd ever prefer the old models are people who were playing when those old models were current. Pretty sure that includes both you and Thor.

People might convince themselves that their motivations and reasons aren't because they fell in love with the models when they were in their hayday, and want to argue whatever other merits they can conceive to support their position, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

The only ones speaking in defense of the old models are the old hats, and not even all of them. Just a few. That has to say something. Generally, the older we get, the less we like to see change, and the more attached we are to the things we loved when we were younger. Since they don't generally like changing what they're comfortable with, older guys(like me!) who, by and large, really prefer the newer models in a big way really says something about the difference in the quality of the sculpts.

That said, I'm not saying there isn't a wierdo or two out there who wasn't around for the old models but likes them anyhow. But there are people who like to have other people pee on them. That doesn't make it normal, or something I should have to account for when I make a general statement about typical distaste for being pissed upon.

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 18:20

Sorry, I was under the impression that a purely aesthetic decision can't be divided into "right" or "wrong".

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 18:58

@CptMetal wrote:
Sorry, I was under the impression that a purely aesthetic decision can't be divided into "right" or "wrong".

It's not about right or wrong. But when you've got a consensus from 80%+, there is certainly a "Normal" and "Abnormal" answer.

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 19:25

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
@CptMetal wrote:

It's not about right or wrong. But when you've got a consensus from 80%+, there is certainly a "Normal" and "Abnormal" answer.
Ah, but are all Archons not abnormal in one way or another anyways?
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat Jun 04 2016, 21:53

Well, since you're the only one talking in absolutes here, I'd say you're the abnormal one, Betray.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
Back to top Go down
Elvellyn
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 08:13

I really like the new models, no question about it. Ok, maybe not the new archon (i like the one on the codex) or emo hair on the haemonculus, but otherwise think they are absolute beauties.

Having said that i did start in 6E and haven't seen the entire range of 3E models. Of the ones i have seen, there are a bits and pieces that i think are really neat and i wished existed on the new ones. But overall i find the old ones too exaggerated. I can't get past those huge shoulder pads, big hair/helmets and faces. I'm also not a big fan of the scorpionesk vehicles. I can see how they would be appealing to some but it just doesn't tickle my fancy.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 16:35

@CptMetal wrote:
Well, since you're the only one talking in absolutes here, I'd say you're the abnormal one, Betray.

You're right. Directly speaking your mind against the grain is abnormal, and I'm abnormal in that way. Like I said before, nothing WRONG with being abnormal, per se. We're ALL probably abnormal in some way. An asian guy in the US is abnormal just by being Asian. My point was that you shouldn't have to consider every abnormality when you make a generalised comment. I hope you didn't think you were insulting me or something. Wink

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 20:01

I don't want to insult you, I just want to remind you that throwing the term abnormal around can be problematic, just like history teaches us. Wink

Trust me, I'm German. That topic is the only one we learn in history classes.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 20:37

@CptMetal wrote:
I don't want to insult you, I just want to remind you that throwing the term abnormal around can be problematic

Only for people who are specifically LOOKING for a reason to be offended, and let's face it, those people will always find a reason to be offended. I'm not going to walk on eggshells to keep some thin-skinned modern day boy who cried wolf happy. People today have acted offended FAR too often over trivial things for me to give a crap what they're offended about when it comes to various interpretations of intent.

If you understand the definition of the word, there is nothing to be offended about. I don't know what your history class teaches, nor why they teach it, but minorities are, by definition, abnormal. The words "Minority" and "Abnormal" are basically synonyms. If it helps you to feel better about it, replace "Abnormal" with the word "Atypical". They're synonyms, but the latter might have less negative connotations for the crybaby PC brigade to latch onto to start a new crusade.

If my attitude offends, let them be offended. No one has a right to freedom from offense. I'm offended right now at the assertion that I should give a crap, but I'm not trying to rob you of your right to offend me. I'd appreciate if we all just respected each other's right to offend one another. Razz

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 21:15

I guess we can agree to disagree. Your personal culture seems to be far more fixated on competition than on cooperation. So you won't change me as I won't be able to change you.

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 21:30

This is getting pretty far off topic and not heading in a good direction. Back on topic please ladies and gentlemen - Count Adhemar

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 21:48

I prefer the new range overall.

I think the older range (which was recently released when I started playing) was composed of good models that then had a load of excess crap slapped on them which ruined them.

For example, if you clip down the massive shoulder pads of the old warriors to a more reasonable size and only use helmeted heads they look great. If you remove the excessive spikes from the old reavers they look good. The Archon and Dracon models require the same shoulder-clipping treatment as the warriors, then they look great. Oh, you also have to sort out the Archon's ridiculous pointy hat. Urien Rakarth looked good, the two unnamed haemonculus models looked pretty bad, really uninspired.

The old wyches are inexcusable. Their proportions are beyond any sense of understanding, often with arms wider than their torsos and hilariously awful facial expressions.

I love the old Incubi, I'm tempted to get some of the ones with blasters to use as blasterborn. I'm also fine with the old scourges, talos and skimmers. The scourges should have had the beak-style warrior helmets but that's an easy conversion. Oh, I also liked the old warp beasts, though khymerae are simply a better-looking update.

The old mandrakes were really naff with terrible 2D posing, more obvious than any other metal models of the time. They were also just gimps with blade-arms. I'm surprised so many people dislike the new mandrakes, I think they're some of the best-looking models GW have ever produced. They just need more than three sculpts is all.

The old grotesques were okay, though I prefer wracks.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun Jun 05 2016, 23:06

@Anggul wrote:
I'm surprised so many people dislike the new mandrakes, I think they're some of the best-looking models GW have ever produced. They just need more than three sculpts is all.
Most people I have seen discuss them like the new Mandrake models - they just don't think they match up with the rest of the line, lacking any sort of tie-in motif.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Mon Jun 06 2016, 16:11

@Thor665 wrote:
@Anggul wrote:
I'm surprised so many people dislike the new mandrakes, I think they're some of the best-looking models GW have ever produced. They just need more than three sculpts is all.
Most people I have seen discuss them like the new Mandrake models - they just don't think they match up with the rest of the line, lacking any sort of tie-in motif.

I can confirm that. In fact I know quite a few people who don't play Dark Eldar but really love the Mandrake model.

What I find funny is that they still believe that Mandrakes are the worst DE unit, they really should see the "current" Wyches rules Razz

Edit: I want to add that I love all new Models, I even like the Grotesques in a... grotesque kind of way. Too bad it's made out of failcast.

The only model I really dislike is the new Archon, I love the old one with the Huskblade and the Soul-Trap and his pose was arrogant, commanding and menacing at once. The new one on the other hand looks painfully uninspired. I do like the new cloak, but he looks more like a generic pirate human than anything else.

Last edited by The Strange Dark One on Mon Jun 06 2016, 19:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
koshi482
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Mon Jun 06 2016, 17:42

I like all of the moddles. I can see were people dont like the old due to the differance in the modle range. I cant wait to get some of mine repainted again.

I actually like the pose of the new archon. I havent bought one but i want to just to make him have no weapons in his hands and standing on a rock with his arms crossed. Looking down as if this fight is all beneith him. Like any good archon.

BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 01:19

When people say the "Old" archon with the huskblade and the soul trap...that archon isn't really an old model, is he? I mean, there is a newer one, but the older one was released along with all the current wych and kabal lines wasn't he?

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 01:43

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
When people say the "Old" archon with the huskblade and the soul trap...that archon isn't really an old model, is he? I mean, there is a newer one, but the older one was released along with all the current wych and kabal lines wasn't he?

Yes that Archon was released with all the rest of the 5th edition range and replaced by the current one. To reduce confusion I try and distinguish which aesthetic I'm talking about by edition. The 3rd edition aesthetic verse the current 5th edition and then might go on to explain which one within that particular edition aesthetic I'm speaking of when relevant (which isn't very many models).
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 09:15

@Thor665 wrote:
@Anggul wrote:

I suspect that's intentional though. The Mandrakes aren't part of the Kabals, Cults or Covens. Nobody seems to be sure that they're even Eldar in origin. If they are, they've certainly diverged pretty far from the 'norm' even for Commorragh.

Personally, I love the Mandrake models.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 11:39

@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Well, being out of production it's definitely one of the old Archons since he's definitely not current.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 12:32

@Imateria wrote:
@BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Well, being out of production it's definitely one of the old Archons since he's definitely not current.
True, but I believe the discussion is more original line vs anything after 5th ed, due to the different styles.

Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue Jun 07 2016, 17:26

Exactly, Cavash nailed it, in my opinion.

That said, I DO like the 5th edition Archon the best, though I don't think the new one is bad either. It would have been nice to have 2 options available. Too bad they killed production on the 5th ed one. On the bright side, I think I have 3-4 of the 5th edition ones, 1 or 2 still in blisters, so it shouldn't be a major issue for me.

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 08 2016, 06:47

@koshi482 wrote:
I actually like the pose of the new archon. I havent bought one but i want to just to make him have no weapons in his hands and standing on a rock with his arms crossed. Looking down as if this fight is all beneith him. Like any good archon.

Not going to lie this makes me like him a little more... but not enough to add one to my collection.
Back to top Go down

Do you prefer the old or new models?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: