HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 Do you prefer the old or new models?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
avatar

Posts : 837
Join date : 2014-03-25
Location : Western Washington

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 20:09

I like having both metal and newer gen stuff so that I can differentiate units really easily in close combat and otherwise. i think it looks cool to have three generations of Striking Scorpions on your team for example. So for me, I dig the aesthetic of having old and new represented.

_________________
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Back to top Go down
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
Marrath
Wych
avatar

Posts : 590
Join date : 2014-01-01
Location : A very spiky Webway-Hulk

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 20:33

For me the new ones all the way, i rather despise all old models.
Only exceptions being those masterfully painted by TDC members like @calyptra or @Space Socialist
Back to top Go down
doriii
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 245
Join date : 2013-04-19
Location : durr

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Mon May 30 2016, 01:40

i like most of the old ones, if painted properly i think they can look very nice. a friend of mine gavr me about 20 unassembled old school warriors and i bought 20 new one and mixed and matched them together to create 40 unique ones Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
avatar

Posts : 5474
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Mon May 30 2016, 15:37

Which is the better painting of a starry night?





I can easily objectively say the second image is "better" if my goal is to claim which looks more realistic.
But that is the beginning and the end of that debate. I will agree with you that if you ask "most people" what is objectively the better proportioned sculpture they (and I) would easily reach consensus. But, conversely, if you ask them which sculpt artistically captures the feel of unarmored elf gladiators you might find a less clear split.

_________________


The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
avatar

Posts : 698
Join date : 2013-03-25
Location : Boston

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Mon May 30 2016, 23:50

BetrayTheWorld wrote:

The new sculpts are inarguably better.

The fact that some people are in fact arguing this would indicate differently. Smile

BetrayTheWorld wrote:

Only nostalgia would prompt someone to argue otherwise.

Ascribing entirely speculative motivations to other people's opinions isn't helpful or justified. Some people like things you don't. Their opinions are valid. It's not even important that you understand why they feel that way, just that you respect it. Claiming that they don't actually like the things that they like is not something that you're in a position to know or substantiate.

I'm also not sure why you care. Some people like some models that you don't like. So what?

This is supposed to be a friendly conversation about subjective opinions, after all.

cyclops <-- I don't understand what's going on with this smiley, but I'm including him because he seems friendly.

_________________
Dark Eldar plog: Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Vampire Counts plog: Bat Country
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
avatar

Posts : 5474
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 02:52

Pretty much as long as no one claims they love the original Nagash I think we're good.
Unless they mean the zombie original Nagash, and then that one is totally likable.

_________________


The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
stevethedestroyeofworlds
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 169
Join date : 2016-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 03:07

From what I've seen, I like the new stuff a lot more. Scourges and Incubi are just beautiful

_________________
"Enemies are everywhere. Wisdom comes from knowing which ones to eliminate first"-Asdrubael Vect
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
avatar

Posts : 698
Join date : 2013-03-25
Location : Boston

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 03:27

Thor665 wrote:
Pretty much as long as no one claims they love the original Nagash I think we're good.

Hey, the original Nagash model was n

n

nnnnnn

ni

It was nic

Nope. I can't even jokingly pretend to like it.

_________________
Dark Eldar plog: Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Vampire Counts plog: Bat Country
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 04:30

I find it ironic that people jump to the defense of someone who clearly said 2 sculpts were definitively worse than new ones in this thread, against someone who added 1 further defnitively worse sculpt to that group. It's typical of modern day "Tolerance" that people hide behind the aegis of being accepting of all people's opinions and ideas, except yours because they disagree with you. Wink

This entire line of discussion started in response to someone saying that the old warriors were, hands down, no competition worse than the current ones, but all other's are debateable. My entire POINT was that he was making a blanket statement that maybe not all people would agree with, but that if he was willing to go with a "Well, most people would.." philosophy, then there is no reason it'd stop at only warriors. It's widely said that the current wych models are some of the best models GW has ever produced for DE. I don't think anyone will argue with that. But when I respond to someone who literally did the same thing twice more in the thread, you decide to argue with me while casually telling him he's right on a comment that completely destabilizes your entire argument.

Some people just love to hate, I think.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
avatar

Posts : 5474
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 12:41

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
This entire line of discussion started in response to someone saying that the old warriors were, hands down, no competition worse than the current ones, but all other's are debateable. My entire POINT was that he was making a blanket statement that maybe not all people would agree with
That has to have been me, but if that's what you think i said I think you misunderstood me - and if that's what you wanted to convey I assuredly misunderstood you.

Don't think I came across as full of hate though - apologize if I did.

_________________


The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Adma
Hellion
avatar

Posts : 69
Join date : 2016-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 15:26

People are certainly passionate about the aesthetics of thier models! I guess I'm not surprised: the look and feel of the dark eldar would be a big factor in collecting since it certainly isn't our power level at the moment!

Since I've started this thread I've got back to look at the older models (even the Warriors) and look harder. Artistic merit may (possibly) have some common benchmarks but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder. With the right paint job, even the old warriors can look attractive to me. Overall my preference is still for the new, but this preference isn't a disparagement of the old; simply a matter of individual taste based on an intangible criteria that isn't translatable outside of my own head. In fact I've come to view the old models as thier own artistic expression, thier own genre if you will with its own set of artistic criteria. When I'm in a campy mood, I may even prefer the old warriors over the new!
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych
avatar

Posts : 849
Join date : 2015-05-01
Location : Las Vegas

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 15:57

Thor665 wrote:
Pretty much as long as no one claims they love the original Nagash I think we're good.
Unless they mean the zombie original Nagash, and then that one is totally likable.

I've actually seen some people say they like that miniature, they claim it had more character and that the concept behind him in the artwork was better in their opinion... But then again, they also preferred the original Chaos Dwarfs over the Forge World sculpts so maybe it has to do with the hats.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Rutland - UK

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 16:48

Unapologetically prefer the new miniatures. They are what got me into Dark Eldar, the old school Kruellagh was the epitome (to my mind) of everything that was wrong with much xenos sculpting from GW at the time - oddly proportioned models and shockingly bad attempts at humour in the background.

Other examples:

Sly Marbo.
Colonel Schaeffer and his 'last chancers'. This one is particularly bad for mixing Clint Eastwood's marvellous character from Where Eagles Dare with Lee Marvin's character from the Dirty Dozen.

_________________
Tan? You're joking, I'm a gamer, you're lucky I'm wearing deodorant!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 17:02

Thor665 wrote:
BetrayTheWorld wrote:
This entire line of discussion started in response to someone saying that the old warriors were, hands down, no competition worse than the current ones, but all other's are debateable. My entire POINT was that he was making a blanket statement that maybe not all people would agree with
That has to have been me, but if that's what you think i said I think you misunderstood me

Really? How can the following statement be taken, other than "Other than warriors who can't be debated, I think pretty much any other older models can be argued to have a greater aesthetic appeal." ???

Thor665 wrote:

Outside of the Warriors, I think pretty much anything between the lines can be argued more on an aesthetic appeal

You disqualified warriors from the argument. My first post was in response to this, meant to be both light-hearted and playful, but also informative, basically saying "REALLY!?" as if you're going to disqualify the warriors, you'd also group in the wyches, of whom the old models are cheesy slackjawed caricatures of what DE used to be before 5th edition, which is widely accepted as when they became most awesome. Almost universally, their 5th edition codex is hailed as their holy grail. I included the pictures I quickly grabbed from google images to drive home the point.

Thor665 wrote:
as long as no one claims they love the original Nagash I think we're good.

And here, you did it again, but didn't get a bunch of people going for your throat about your opinion, telling you how horrible a person you are for assuming other people couldn't like something just because you think it's bad, when in reality the vast majority of people agree with you.

Thor665 wrote:
Don't think I came across as full of hate though - apologize if I did.

I wasn't referring to you with that bit. Some people on this site, I think I rubbed the wrong way at some point or something, and so they simply look for opportunities to take shots at me and start arguments. That's the only way I can justify someone going right past the comments you made to argue with me about the one I made.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
avatar

Posts : 5474
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 18:36

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
And here, you did it again, but didn't get a bunch of people going for your throat about your opinion, telling you how horrible a person you are for assuming other people couldn't like something just because you think it's bad, when in reality the vast majority of people agree with you.
I think you are really overwrought on this. Someone did claim that the old Nagash is thought of as good, and I don't think anyone suggested you or I were horrible people.

_________________


The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2679
Join date : 2015-03-03
Location : Ruhr Metropolian Area

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 19:32

@BetrayTheWorld chill dude. It's just personal taste. There is no absolute truth. I could say that to @Thor665 too, but he doesn't seem to be so 'passionate' about it.

Reading this threat, most people seem to prefer the new ones and I agree. Those are one of the reasons I started the army. (and that I was sick of power Armour and painting iron Warriors)

EDIT: After rereading the threat I can see your point betray. Still not worth getting pumped over this. And this is to both of you guys

_________________
+++++INCOMING TRANSMISSION+++++
The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 20:07

You should edit your posts 2 instances of the word "Threat" to say "Thread". They make the situation sound far different than it is, metal. Wink

While we're on the topic though, your English is normally superb for a second language. Very Happy

_________________
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2679
Join date : 2015-03-03
Location : Ruhr Metropolian Area

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 22:29

I'm glad I didn't write treat....

_________________
+++++INCOMING TRANSMISSION+++++
The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 22:52

CptMetal wrote:
I'm glad I didn't write treat....

I can't tell if you're joking, or not...you wrote "Threat" twice in your post before this one, when the word you were meaning was "Thread" with a D.

CptMetal wrote:
Reading this threat, most people seem to prefer the new ones and I agree.

CptMetal wrote:
EDIT: After rereading the threat I can see your point betray.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
avatar

Posts : 837
Join date : 2014-03-25
Location : Western Washington

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Tue May 31 2016, 23:22

Calyptra wrote:
BetrayTheWorld wrote:

The new sculpts are inarguably better.

The fact that some people are in fact arguing this would indicate differently.  Smile

BetrayTheWorld wrote:

Only nostalgia would prompt someone to argue otherwise.

Ascribing entirely speculative motivations to other people's opinions isn't helpful or justified..

So true.

_________________
Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and then crush him.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Back to top Go down
http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
CptMetal
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2679
Join date : 2015-03-03
Location : Ruhr Metropolian Area

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 04:25

I wrote treat not threat @BetrayTheWorld Wink

_________________
+++++INCOMING TRANSMISSION+++++
The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2665
Join date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 04:42

You're a very confusing dude. Haha, GG.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
avatar

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2012-04-26
Location : London

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 09:31

Can I just remind everyone that we're talking about purely subjective opinions and there is no right or wrong answer. As ever, discussion is welcome but let's keep it calm and civil please - Count Adhemar

That being said, Thor is clearly insane! Very Happy

_________________

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
avatar

Posts : 3137
Join date : 2012-04-15
Location : Stuck in an air vent spying on plotters

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 10:03

By far I prefer thr old Raiders and Ravagers. I adored the jagged, overlapping plates rather than the current smoother 'pleasure barge' look.

I prefer the old warriors, Wyches and Scourges. Love the new reavers. All kinds of mandrakes are ugly!

I'm in agreement with Thor on this debate, although it's all personal preference.

_________________

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2679
Join date : 2015-03-03
Location : Ruhr Metropolian Area

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Wed Jun 01 2016, 15:06

I just think the hats were silly. The rest of the old design was not bad.

_________________
+++++INCOMING TRANSMISSION+++++
The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
 
Do you prefer the old or new models?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

 :: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: