Do you prefer the old or new models?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 03:32

Howdy folks,

I got real lucky and scored four classic Incubi, three classic reavers and the female haemy at a second hand store for 99 cents apiece and it got me thinking; Although I love the newer models, the old Incubi and haemonculus have thier charm for sure. What's your preference? Do you run a mix of old and new models on the table? I know the splintermind guys have stated some of thier preferences; what's your favorite models from the new and old range? Your least favorite?
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 04:45

For the examples you've asked after:

Old school Incubi are definitely a classic look. I prefer the new ones, but totally understand people who like the old ones. They were iconic marine destroying monsters, imposing with their spears, super hero poses, and of course, the dreaded gun hats

As for Reavers, I dislike all the random spikes on the old bikes, and really like the new sleek ones. The bodies associated are also much better on the new Reavers, particularly the heads. The glossy, circular helmets are popular for many conversions, and I've taken a liking to the male ponytail + glasses combo Reaver head as well.

Haemonculi, I'm not so sure. They always seemed like they were meant to be converted and kitbashed by hand anyway, so I've not bought any of the multiple versions they've had.

The old school model I liked most was the Dracon with half her head shaved and a massive staff. She was simple, elegant and powerful.

The new model(s) I like the most are the Kabalites and Raiders/Ravagers. Raiders as of 5th are simply gorgeous, and the Kabalites segmented armour is really fun to paint.

I will say however that old school Raiders' aesthetic attraction multiples when they're a huge swarm of pointy arrows. When a player shows up with only the 3rd edition Raiders, and like 10 of them, there's nothing more awesome.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 09:06

I think most of the old models are kinda silly. They come from a version of the game that had a lot more humor in it than the current one has. I don't think most of them fit very well with the newer range.
I still use the old kabalite, raider and ravager models. The rest gets to live in a box in the attic.

The reaver bikes are excellent for conversions, but they need a bit of work to bring them up to current standards.

I can see myself using the old haemonculi models again if I ever get my coven up and running properly.

I have a dream that I someday will convert one of my trench coat incubi and use him as a klaivex, but I just can't bring myself to defile his sacred party hat of death.

Fav models:
New - kabalites  
Old - kabalites  
(I also really like the kabalites )

Worst:
New - a draw between the grots and the clawed fiend
Old - mandrakes
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 09:16

Without exception I prefer the new models by a loooooooooooooong way. The old models were what put me off collecting DE back in the day. The new models are what made me start.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 09:45

Prefer the new:
  • Kabalite Warriors
  • Raider/Ravager
  • Flyers (against Forgeworld Flyers)
  • Wracks/Grotesques

Prefer the old:
  • Archon
  • Incubi
  • Hellions
  • Mandrakes
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 11:06

Only the official grotesques and mandrake models are looking crap in my opinion. The rest is awesome!
And even though I love the new models I can't wait for the toughest girls in the galaxy 2 models to replace my Incubbi.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 13:56

Thanks for the tip on TGG: didn't know that existed!
of the old range I love the haemys and Urien's model. The talos is pretty cool looking as well. Over all I much prefer the new range however, with kabalites showing the most improvement from old to new. My least favorite models might be the wyches: they are just wearing boring sportswear looking suits. But yeah, the mono pose on the grot isn't great either when fielding a unit! Overall though I'm not really unhappy with any model in the new range.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 15:04

Count Adhemar wrote:
Without exception I prefer the new models by a loooooooooooooong way. The old models were what put me off collecting DE back in the day. The new models are what made me start.

Unconditional agreement. Twisted Evil

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 15:27

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:

General disagreement Wink

Outside of the Warriors, I think pretty much anything between the lines can be argued more on an aesthetic appeal, and it's not even like the old Warriors are bad, the new ones are simply some of the best models GW has produced. But I mix and match them quite happily, and they all work together.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 15:28

Personally I never was a fan of the 3rd edition range, while I don't have a problem with most of the concepts for the old aesthetic the execution of the sculpts put me off from wanting to buy them at the time and one of the reasons I didn't get into Warhammer until DE 5th edition came out. While I definitely prefer the new Raider/Ravager and Reaver designs I would say those, to me, were the best looking models of the 3rd edition version of Dark Eldar.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 15:48

Thor665 wrote:
BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:

Outside of the Warriors, I think pretty much anything between the lines can be argued more on an aesthetic appeal

REALLY?!

VS.

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 16:57

I much prefer the old HQ models and hellions, but other than that I think everything else in the range has improved. Even though I was a big fan of the old school DE at the time.
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 18:03

Of the older models I only prefer the Haemonculi and Urien.  That said I've found all kinds of uses for the 3rd edition models.

My corsair jetbikes and jetpacks were scavenged from the old line, while many of my metal wyches and mandrakes were made in to slaaneshi cultists with simple weapon swaps and an ear filing.  The old grotesque make for good casualties, with their exposed intestines and missing hands.  Being metal, they weigh down bases pretty nicely on large plastic models.

Side note on old models - Looks like forge world has discontinued the raven.
Back to top Go down
Kantalla
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 18:33

The new models are great, so I am slowly replacing my old army with the shiny new stuff. I'm especially a fan of the new Kabalite Warriors, Voidraven, Incubi and the now slightly old Incubus-masked Archon. The Wyches look much better, even if they don't get to come out much. Vehicles and the weapons look much better, and more like Eldar weapons.

My favourite models of old were Incubi (new are better), Hellions (maybe a slight preference for the old) and Reavers (still like the bladed carapace of the old ones, but new have better riders).

It is also neat having everything in plastic, and the improved flying bases.

Betray - you didn't even show the ugliest of the old Wyches - the one with no blades you got in every blister pack.

Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 19:24

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Thor665 wrote:
BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Count Adhemar wrote:

Outside of the Warriors, I think pretty much anything between the lines can be argued more on an aesthetic appeal

REALLY?!
Yes, really.
I am capable of understanding that some people might prefer the new ones, I am not thinking it's that shocking to have to go the other way. The old models straight up better fit the description of lithe gladiators. The new models (with the exception of Lelith, who is designed under the old style, but with new techniques) aren't. They're bulky and over armored to my mind. I also happen to like the hair metal 90's look of the old line.

So, yes - I do find old Wyches far superior to new Wyches in sculpts (and also rules).

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 22:17

Quick conversion question: do the new reaver riders fit the old bikes?

Since I now have a few old models to sprinkle in with the new, I plan to write it off fluff wise as some kabalites and Incubi are still wearing last century's fashion. Party pistol hats were big.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 22:34

Thor665 wrote:

So, yes - I do find old Wyches far superior to new Wyches in sculpts.

This sounds like the ravings of a madman. Haha! Razz

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Fri May 27 2016, 23:24

Adma wrote:
Quick conversion question: do the new reaver riders fit the old bikes?

Since I now have a few old models to sprinkle in with the new, I plan to write it off  fluff wise as some kabalites  and Incubi are still wearing last century's fashion. Party pistol hats were big.

I can't say for certain since... I got a little creative with my riders (which are mostly the wyches that hang off of venoms).  I can tell you that the bike chassis are "proper scale" despite those original riders being downright tiny.

They can also be blended with the newer reaver parts without too much work if you don't want a clear distinction between the 2.  I hated those original canopies anyway, so replacing them all with either the new ones (and lasblasters), shuricannons, or scatter lasers was something I enjoyed.

One day I might even be happy enough with one to paint it beyond the priming stage tongue
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat May 28 2016, 03:04

I HATE the old models, by and large. I have an old Lelith that looks pretty sweet, and a couple of old Taloi that also look awesome.

While they don't look GOOD, the old Grotesques have a special place in my heart. The wraparound-shades guy, the drooly-face dude, all of them give that cyberpunk look that really characterized older editions of 40k in spades. They occupy the never-sell section of my collection, along with my old school Noise Marine.
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat May 28 2016, 16:55

Count me in as one of those that hates the old aesthetic, the current range makes DE arguablt the best looking army GW has.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sat May 28 2016, 18:42

Now THAT I can definitely agree with!
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 16:52

I love the old models. I also love the new models, and refuse to choose between them.

The muscle definition and faces on the classic Wyches are wonderfully sculpted, though I don't think the junky, out of focus picture Betray posted comparing them to well-painted, well-photographed contemporary Wyches is doing them any favors.

Here's a few of mine. (I painted these while back and they need an update.)

Adma
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 17:12

Wow! Those old school wyches look pretty darn good when painted like that!
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 18:44

Adma wrote:
Wow! Those old school wyches look pretty darn good when painted like that!

Thanks!

A lot of this is absolutely a matter of taste. I like a bunch of things other people don't, and vice versa; that's just fine, and nobody's "wrong." But sometimes I feel like some people just aren't seeing a thing the way I do, and occasionally when I paint/draw/sculpt/perform it I can show them what I see in it.

(Rereading that, I feel like there's an implication that I try to show people why I love old Dark Eldar models via interpretive dance, and I'm much too entertained by the idea to go back and rephrase it.)

BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Do you prefer the old or new models?    Sun May 29 2016, 19:10

I would have posted yours if that's what was available on google images. They weren't. I picked the best OOP metal images that were available. Feel free to fact check me. Wink

Anyhow, in light of these new pictures, while you did a commendable job painting them, nothing I have previously posted would change. I'd put these pictures right alongside sculpts of the new models and say "REALLY?!! Sounds like the ravings of a madman!"

The new sculpts are inarguably better. Only nostalgia would prompt someone to argue otherwise. If I showed the 2 images to people who know nothing of 40k and asked which was the better sculpt, I imagine the percent of people who'd choose the old sculpts would be close to 0, with any over 0 coming from self-identified public trolls.

Do you prefer the old or new models?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: