Share | 

550 point list

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kehmor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: 550 point list   Tue Apr 19 2016, 22:04

Hey,

So I have just gotten back in to 40k and have chosen to take up dark eldar. Considering my competitive nature this is a decision I have started regretting after also reading the eldar codex but seeing as I've already bought some models I'm going to stick to it. I have some friends also starting up and we have decided on 550 point lists and I'll be playing initially against space wolves and skitari.

I've come up with just under 500 points and am in two minds about how to spend the rest.

So I've got:

Total: 481 points

HQ:

Lhamaean (10)

Troops:

5 x Kabalites, Venom with extra cannon (105)

5 x Kabalites, Venom with extra cannon (105)

Fast Attack:

3 x Reavers, Arena champ (warlord), Cluster Caltrops (73)

3 x Reavers, Cluster Caltrops (63)

Heavy:

Ravager, 3 x dark lances (125)

Total: 481 points

So I'm left with 69 points.

So far my thoughts for it have been:

1) Take an extra venom with extra splinter cannon(65)

2) Take 3 additional reavers (63)

3) Take 5 additional warriors and replace their  venom with a raider with splinter racks and either a night shield or a splinter cannon in the squad. (60 extra)

Input would be great Smile
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Tue Apr 19 2016, 23:57

I'd say you probably need some high strength shooting (with redundancy, because dice)
Back to top Go down
Kehmor
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Wed Apr 20 2016, 01:48

nexs wrote:
I'd say you probably need some high strength shooting (with redundancy, because dice)

What would you suggest? Blaster upgrades for the kabalites perhaps? would leave me with 39 points which I suppose I could use to add a bike to each unit or take night shields on the ravager or something?
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Wed Apr 20 2016, 04:31

Generally speaking, if i were to take a llhamaean, i'd make sure to take a venom (because a 10 point tax for a venom is great)

I might join the bikes into 1 unit of 4 or 5

left over points i'd add blasters to the kabalites
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Wed Apr 20 2016, 04:43

I'd drop both units of reavers to do the following:

1. Give your Lhamean a dual cannon venom.
2. Buy another triple-lance ravager.
3. Spend the last 15 points on a blaster for a warrior.

That would put you right at 550 if your numbers are right.

Alternatively, you could just drop the second group of reavers to get another ravager with dissies and a blaster on a warrior, leaving you with 7 points remaining, and no ride for your HQ.

To be honest, at 550 points, I'd try to fit as many ravagers in as possible. Ravagers, as with all mech, are more powerful the fewer points the game is.

If it were my list, I may even do something like this:

HQ
Lhamean 10
Troops
1x 5 Kabalite Warriors 40
1x 5 Kabalite Warriors w/Sybarite(Warlord) 50
1x 5 Kabalite Warriors in a venom w/dual splinter cannons 105
Heavy
1x Ravager w/3 Dark Lances 125
2x Ravager w/3 Disintegrator Cannons 210

Then I'd focus on hiding my warriors and obsec venom as best as possible while capturing objectives, letting the ravagers do the bulk of the killing work, except against things that have armour 4+ or worse.

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:01

Thank you very much for the suggestions - I like the idea of the extra ravagers a lot - I should probably have mentioned that the original 481 points are the models I actually own right now and while not adverse to buying more I'd rather not but two ravagers in one go when I'm just starting out, but one is definitely an option.

nexs wrote:
Generally speaking, if i were to take a llhamaean, i'd make sure to take a venom (because a 10 point tax for a venom is great)

I might join the bikes into 1 unit of 4 or 5

left over points i'd add blasters to the kabalites

While I can see that in a larger list that might be an auto-include I'm hardly short of ways of adding venoms, I could just take one as an extra fast attack slot?
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Thu Apr 21 2016, 00:42

You could, but if you're playing a mission that award VPs for killing FA units it's an easy VP.
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Thu Apr 21 2016, 00:49

No problem at all! Glad to help! Sounds like the first suggestion I mentioned is probably your best bet, then. Only requires 1 additional ravager and puts you right at 550 points. Very Happy

As for the auto-include venom nexs mentioned, it's not only a good idea due to slot availability, and it wouldn't really make any difference whether you purchased the venom in the fast attack slot or dedicated for the Lhamean, since your only real contender for riding in it at the start of the game is the Lhamean (and the only thing fast attack slot changes is who can start in it).

The important part is that without a venom(either fast attack or dedicated), the Lhamean is both slow(therefore offensively gimped), and an easy kill for your opponent, so it's usually best if they're in a vehicle, or hidden out of LoS somewhere.

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Thu Apr 21 2016, 01:25

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
No problem at all! Glad to help! Sounds like the first suggestion I mentioned is probably your best bet, then. Only requires 1 additional ravager and puts you right at 550 points. Very Happy

As for the auto-include venom nexs mentioned, it's not only a good idea due to slot availability, and it wouldn't really make any difference whether you purchased the venom in the fast attack slot or dedicated for the Lhamean, since your only real contender for riding in it at the start of the game is the Lhamean (and the only thing fast attack slot changes is who can start in it).

The important part is that without a venom(either fast attack or dedicated), the Lhamean is both slow(therefore offensively gimped), and an easy kill for your opponent, so it's usually best if they're in a vehicle, or hidden out of LoS somewhere.

Yep sounds good - will mean an extra ravager and venom but looking over the larger lists on here I think those purchases won't be wasted.

Do you think the blaster is worth more than having a warlord?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Thu Apr 21 2016, 02:17

That really depends on what warlord trait you end up with. It's 50-50.

With a blaster, you always know that you're going to start the game with that blaster, but with a "character" warlord, you have more flexibility in that you can roll on a different warlord trait table based on what kind of opponent you're facing. It's ultimately an opinion situation, so I'd do whatever you like the idea of best. Wink

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Thu Apr 21 2016, 19:04

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
That really depends on what warlord trait you end up with. It's 50-50.

With a blaster, you always know that you're going to start the game with that blaster, but with a "character" warlord, you have more flexibility in that you can roll on a different warlord trait table based on what kind of opponent you're facing. It's ultimately an opinion situation, so I'd do whatever you like the idea of best. Wink

Thanks a bunch for your help man - really appreciate it. Knowing that I'm facing space wolves might it be worth having one dissie ravager and taking blasters in both warrior units?
Back to top Go down
BetrayTheWorld
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Fri Apr 22 2016, 01:15

I wouldn't at this points level. The poison will be good vs. the toughness things, and the lances from the ravagers will do great vs elite infantry once you've taken care of any mech threats. If your opponent doesn't go many vehicles and instead goes thunderwolf cavalry, the poison + 6 lance shots from the ravagers will be killing some pretty expensive models.

I'm generally not a fan of blasters in warrior squads unless you simply can't think of anything better to spend that 15 points on. They used to be good because the meta was different. Now they're an overpriced, low-range version of a dark lance that makes warriors waste poison shots against things they can't hurt.

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Fri Apr 22 2016, 01:28

BetrayTheWorld wrote:
Now they're an overpriced, low-range version of a dark lance that makes warriors waste poison shots against things they can't hurt.

Unless you're up against Crisis Suits! Very Happy

But yeah, against Space Wolves, I'd keep the Kabalites as merely cheap tax units as much as you can, inside their Venoms or on objectives. Poison, poison and more poison!

If you have only one Ravager, give it the Lances as you definitely need at least one unit designed to take on tanks. If you did decide to include a second Ravager, then taking one them with Dissies is a good idea, AP2 rocks against the likes of Wolfguard squad leaders with terminator armour.

For 550 pts, you can buy both Ravagers, 2x5 Kabalites on Venoms, a Lhamean, and either a third Venom for her to ride or a cheap squad of Reavers with CC, and enough pts to make one Kabalite or Reaver your Warlord. Food for thought!

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: 550 point list   Fri Apr 22 2016, 02:02

I believe in having a contingency plan. 1 triple lance raider isn't that, so I stand by what I said. At this points level, I'd keep them both with lances to take out vehicles. If there are no vehicles, they'll be great against thunderwolf cavalry, wounding on 2's with AP2, and against T4 characters they'll dish out instant death.

I'm a fan of dissies, personally, but in this particular list I wouldn't go with them because they leave you short on firepower if your opponent DOES go heavy mech.

As a space wolves player at 550 points, this is a list I could take:

CAD
HQ:
Wolfguard Battle Leader w/Wolf Claw 70
Troops:
2x 5 Bloodclaws in razorbacks w/twin-linked lascannon, lascannon, & twin-linked plasma cannon 310
Elite:
Murderfang in a drop pod 170
TOTAL: 550

If he came up against a list like this(not uncommon at this points level) with dissies on the second ravager, all his opponent would have to do is kill the lance ravager and he'd be screwed.

550 point list
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: