HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 05:53

So, due to a very long story I ended up having to liquidate most of my possesions a few years ago and now things are very stable and I can only say...I have an itch. And the only way to scratch that itch is to dive back into playing models!

However, I look back at what is available now and I see they butchered my wyches, my special characters are gone, and I'm no longer sure what's fun, what's competitive, and what's flavorful.

So, I want some help!

I'm not going to touch wyches right now. It will come in time. I am more concerned with building a nice collection to model, paint, and take my time and enjoy. I'm thinking the coven supplement really peaked my interest and I want to maybe make a gaggle of ghoulish goons, but, I could embrace the *gag* archon side of things~

Any players out there that want to lend me two cents?

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 08:39

Oh, the coven supplement is really fun!

There is the corpse thief claw, 5 talos in one unit the give you one victory point for every Enemy unit they crush on Close Combat.

The dark Artisan, that consists of a bl Haemonculus, a chronos and Talos in one unit. The chronos can give them a 4+ Feel No Pain. And if the Haemonculus is your warlord he can Re-roll all 1 for his feel No Pain. Give him a Web way portal want you're good to go.

My favorite is the grotesquerie: two units of grotesques and a Haemonculus and the grotesques gain some nice but random bonus for free. Toughness 6 grotesques? Yes please!

Other than that, I'd stick with a bunch of Kabalite Warriors in venoms first. We are best in MSU these days. Just remember to use the shredder and the blast pistol to built a second Blaster out of one box so one of the Kabalite Warriors boxes and two venoms are giving you the minimum troop choices.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 13:00

@CptMetal wrote:
Oh, the coven supplement is really fun!

There is the corpse thief claw, 5 talos in one unit the give you one victory point for every Enemy unit they crush on Close Combat.

The dark Artisan, that consists of a bl Haemonculus, a chronos and Talos in one unit. The chronos can give them a 4+ Feel No Pain. And if the Haemonculus is your warlord he can Re-roll all 1 for his feel No Pain. Give him a Web way portal want you're good to go.

My favorite is the grotesquerie: two units of grotesques and a Haemonculus and the grotesques gain some nice but random bonus for free. Toughness 6 grotesques? Yes please!

Very solid advice here, CptMetal.

I do wholeheartedly agree with the Grotesquerie being selected as your favourite; it's mine too. Just avoid force weapons and you're good to go.

I will add that the Webway Portal on the Dark Artisan is certainly strong, but isn't always a must pick, as they also can never charge before turn 3, which hurts. Really depends on the rest of your list.

To start with, Korazell, you need to know you're going to be buying transports for almost every unit you have on foot. Kabal or Wych cult, it really doesn't matter. We need to be in flying cardboard boxes! So I suggest opening up with a Raider and a Venom or two. A single box of Kabalites will fulfil the basic troop function as CptMetal describes. For HQ, you have tonnes of converting options from regular foot soldiers and vehicle crew, so don't feel obliged to get the finecast models.

As an aside, I still believe a box of Wyches can be put to fantastic use, even if it's just for converting Trueborn, Succubi and Court of the Archon models.

Best of luck!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 15:03

Oh, trust me, I'm very well versed in the art of the flying cardboard boxes.

To give a little background, I was being tutored by Mushkilla for a bit and I got to win a local tourney due to his help!

I think I ended up with a list that was like 7 venoms, two raiders, 3 ravagers, a void raven, and two blobs of wyches in each raider with double splinter cannon kabalites in the venoms...

Question, are wracks not troop choices anymore? I'm confused at needing the kabalites in a hamey list?

Also...that many Talos seems terrifying. As well as the Grots. Eek.

" Your suffering will be legendary. It will make the dead, long forgotten in our dear Commorragh, rattle in their graves as your agony touches them even from the beyond. I will record each scream, each gurgle, each cry and it will be my sweetest lullaby. The tears you spill will be collected and I will savor them like fine drink for years to come. The blood you spill will be used to feed my house-plants, and your flesh I will feed to the Razorwing flocks. Your bones I will keep and fashion into my clothes like a medal awarded for reaching the highest plateau of torture. You will never steal my sandwych again!"
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 15:56

Wracks have always been elites but we no longer have the ability to make them troops, in recent years GW seems to have moved away from the trend of "take character X, make unit Y troops".

Of course if you run a list from Haemonculus Covens then they have their own Force Org Chart with no Troop requirement.
Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 15:57

Oh, I see.

So if you run a coven list, you have your own special rules?

I'm not familiar with these new formations or unique set ups, yet...been out of the game for nearly three years. :< Not by my choice, either.

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 18:19

Yes. All coven units have a better power from Pain table. That also adds to the grotesquerie. Second turn fearless (so always go to ground end of your first turn), after that it will not die and so on.

But just stay away from Wracks. I don't think they are worth it.

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 19:52

You hurt my souuuuuuul.

I am the most die-hard wych fan! Well, I love the Hellion, Reaver, Wych side of the army and don't favor the military aspect so much.

However, the coven aspect...I could take a look and see what's going on with them.

Can I have multiple formations for the covens?

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 20:14

You can take as much detachments and formation as you want. Some tournaments restrict the number of formation and or detachments.

I still own ten Hellions but I never built them. I think about using them as beast masters. But I must admit, I haven't tested if they are still good. Reaver certainly are. So fear not. They are good!

Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 20:16

I noticed...I'm tempted to become Mushkilla V.2 and run 28 reavers XD

Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 20:55

I think that might actually be a good and competitive idea.
I'd love to try that once.

Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Tue Mar 29 2016, 22:14

I might try it. I really might.

Heat lances would pop vehicles and the rest of the units could be set up for infantry mulching with support from ravagers with Dissie cannons.

I'd throw in something chunky to pull away fire, like grots or talos units, too.

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Wed Mar 30 2016, 00:00

@Korazell wrote:
I noticed...I'm tempted to become Mushkilla V.2 and run 28 reavers XD

Well, our own codex-specific detachment offers 6 Fast Attack slots, and Reavers are now each 6 pts cheaper and can come in units of 3-12... You could literally field 72 Reavers in one single detachment.

More realistically you'd be looking at 5 or 6 minimal units of Reavers with some supporting units around, but it helps minimise the HQ and Troop tax when you get to double up on the maximum Reaver numbers. There's a player on this forum that runs multiple units of Reavers (as in, 18 units of 3) and has a huge bunch of Eldar windriders:

Check it out!

Your best upgrade is definitely cluster caltrops as it makes their charges really potent against all unit types. Ranged weapon upgrades are a little lackluster due to them needing to Jink to survive incoming fire.

You'll also be happy to hear that Reavers combo really nicely with most of the Coven formations. A Grotesquerie supported by 2 or 3 units of Reavers is very powerful and they can cover some of the few weaknesses that Grotesques may have. They can save them from combats they can't win, such as against lots of 2+ saves or a dreadnought, with all their rending hits.

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Wed Mar 30 2016, 01:00

THAT is some solid advice...I think I certainly would like to run a Coven with some Reavers...

Hmm...you've given me alot to think about, thank you so much for that input....

Now the painful part, trying to find cheap reavers.

Back to top Go down
Korazell
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.   Sat Apr 02 2016, 19:40

Well! Fortune smiles on me, despite not having any Dark Eldar Pyskers!

I was given a free box of models in varying states!

I have a ziplock of mixed infantry brimming with finished models, 3 venoms, 6 reavers, two raiders, a razorwing, and two ravagers as well as a single archon and a set of incubi, which look VERY neat.

I also got a TON of Eldar units, easily hundred of dollars worth, but I haven't really went over it...alot of it is on sprues still so it's kind of hard to tell.

Now I'm wondering how to expand from here...I really love Dark eldar, both from playstyle and look...I might just collect models to paint and display, not sure....

Before you wonder where on earth this happened, I was donated the box around Dragon's lair. A brother of a player passed away so they just were giving away the collection. I passed on the Speese Muhrines and asked for Eldar Very Happy

Back to top Go down

I've lost everything...now time to rebuild.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: