Share | 

500 Point Beginner's List

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskblade
Slave

PostSubject: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 19 2016, 01:41

Greetings Brothers and Sister,

I am brand new to Warhammer 40k and after much deliberation made the decision to become a denizen of The Dark City. I came up with this 500 point beginner's list based solely on what I have seen in other Army Lists and Battle Reports of similar point value. Currently, I own only 10 Kabalites, but I fully intend to expand to 500 points so as to begin raiding realspace as soon as possible. I welcome any and all feedback and criticism and hope to become an active member on The Dark City very soon.

Archon w/ Huskblade
Incubi X 4
Venom w/ Splinter Cannon .......... 230 points

Kabalites X 5
Venom w/ Splinter Cannon .......... 105 points

Kabalites X5
Venom w/ Splinter Cannon .......... 105 points

Raider w/ Dark Lance ...................... 60 points

Total .................................................. 500 points

A very basic army I think, I'm trying to maximize fire-power as much as possible while still maintaining mobility. That said, the Archon and his Incubi are my hammer. Once again, I welcome any and all feedback, I'm pleased to be amongst like minded individuals and can't wait to hear from you all.

Thanks in advance!

Eternally your Servant,

Huskblade
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 19 2016, 02:03

Well, well, what have we here?
A new plaything, or an Archon to hunt the lesser races?

(Just so you know, there's a whole section on the forum for new players to join and introduce themselves)

Nonetheless, welcome aboard. You have chosen the best race to play in this horrid universe. We're also incredibly fragile and finicky, but I have some information for you about your list to help you overcome these traits.

Firstly, you've seen on these forums that we Dark Eldar love our Venoms, so including 3 in your list was the best decision you've made since choosing the Dark Kin as your faction. You've also added Kabalites, which are much better to our other troop option, being Wyches, at current.

However, your Archon hits like a wet noodle with only a single S3 Huskblade to his name. I know you love the weapon, seeing as it's your name here, but he really needs either an Agoniser to round out the Incubi and murder 3+ armour saves, or add a Shadowfield combo to even think about close combat.

I know this is only 500 points, so you're hesitant to pile up points on the HQ, so a better/cheaper option might be our Succubus. They come with better stats, and after equipping wargear, end up cheaper. Give her a simple Agoniser or Archite Glaive, and perhaps haywire grenades, and she's good to go.

The grenades are important, and I'd consider them on the Archon too if you decide to keep him, because the Dark Lance in your list is literally the only thing that can hurt vehicles, unless your Incubi bravely charge something and hope to roll 6's.

Consider for a moment if you played against an opponent with a few vehicles in their list as well, they are all completely invulnerable to your small arms fire, and your single Dark Lance needs to hit and damage each of them by itself.

With that in mind, I'd try find space to buy blasters for your Kabalite Warriors as some emergency spot removal for tanks.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 19 2016, 05:17

Well, that was a quick response!

Thank you for your suggestions, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I knew that I was lacking in vehicle stopping power so I will have to remedy that. I am rather attached to the idea of fielding an Archon as my first character as opposed to a Succubus, but I will change his load out so as to better prepare him for combat alongside the Incubi. Also I'll retool the list to incorporate blasters into the Kabalite units giving me a couple more options in preparation for battle with the lesser races.

Thank you again for your wisdom, I'll prepare a new list and post it here to see if I can't get it just right before making my next purchase. Now it's off to the introduction section of the forum to... Introduce myself.

Eternally,

Huskblade
Back to top Go down
Xm0shcryptX
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 19 2016, 06:13

Welcome man good choice on the true kin.
I know you probably would like an archon in your list but here is a 500 list I think would do very well if you are interested ( mostly because archons kitted out and incubi easily make up half a 500 list and it's just too much)

Court of the archon
2 medusae 50
Troops
2x5 warriors 80
Elite
5 trueborn 4 blasters 120
3 venoms 195
Raider 55

Hope that helps. I can understand wanting incubi. They are hands down my favorite models from fluff and looks. They are just expensive points wise in a low point game. When you bump up to 1000 I'd say go for it.
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Tue Feb 23 2016, 22:22

@Huskblade wrote:
I am rather attached to the idea of fielding an Archon as my first character as opposed to a Succubus, but I will change his load out so as to better prepare him for combat alongside the Incubi.

I can see the appeal. Most Dark Eldar players want an Archon as a starting point.

If you wish to have your combat Archon but keep him on a budget, a fairly cheap option is Agoniser + Haywire grenades. This is a total of 90 points I believe, so it's not breaking the bank, and is a lot more reliable and versatile than your Huskblade-only Archon.

He will round out your Incubi with some potential damage to walkers and monstrous creatures. He is still incredibly squishy, but he and his Incubi will hopefully hit first and damage their targets enough that they don't take much returning damage.

@Xm0shcryptX wrote:
Court of the archon
2 medusae 50
Troops
2x5 warriors 80
Elite
5 trueborn 4 blasters 120
3 venoms 195
Raider 55

I disagree with this as a starting list, purely because it requires Medusae and a huge amount of Blasters. Why?

Well these are 4 blasters that the prospective Dark Eldar player has to convert or buy 40 Kabalites worth just to acquire, which don't make for good entry-level purchases or stay within an entry-level converting comfort zone.

The same holds true for Medusae. Medusae are awesome, and I love them. But they're hardly cheap to buy as models, and conversions for them tend to be fairly difficult/high level. On top of that, they're not easy to use in an army which one is not used to playing yet.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 26 2016, 01:25

Alright, let's try this again,

Archon w/ Agonizer and Haywire Grenades - 90

Incubi x 4 w/ Klaivex w/ Demiklaives - 105

Kabalites x 5 w/ Blaster - 55

Kabalites x 5 w/ Blaster - 55

Venom x3 w/ Dual Splinter Cannons - 195

Total - 500 points

Now, the idea here is to load up the venoms with the two Kabalite units and the Archon with his Incubi. With the splinter cannons, that's a lot of anti-infantry, with the two Blasters and the Haywire Grenades, I have three options for anti-armor. The Archon/Incubi group is Vulnerable, I know, but if I can get it into combat I believe it will be high risk high reward. I understand this won't be the most practical list at 500 points, but with luck I believe it could be quite effective.

Eternally,

Huskblade
Back to top Go down
ortamuswolf
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Fri Feb 26 2016, 21:59

hey mate, I'm new to the dark elder scene aswell, something I learned from reading a lot of posts on this site is, at low cost games a lhamaean is a good option, you are taking incubi and have upgraded one to a klaivex you can make him your warlord instead.
my list I'm looking at for 500 is

hq: Lhamean

troops: 5x kabilite with 1x blaster in venom

6x kabilite 1 x blaster in raider

elite:
3x incubi 1x klaivex (warlord)

fast attack
3x reavers 1x heat lance

3 x reavers 1 x heatlance

499 points

haven't tried the list yet, but think it should go well, reavers are the anti tank backed up by the blasters in the troops,
incubi will be the surgical strike aiming at termies or similar.
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Wed Mar 02 2016, 20:36

@Huskblade wrote:
I understand this won't be the most practical list at 500 points, but with luck I believe it could be quite effective.

Honestly, I think this list can do fairly well! Smile

A lot of 500 pt lists that other factions like Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar will take probably have 2-3 small units of infantry and then one scary unit, like you have with your Incubi. Usually it's a dreadnought, or 2 obliterators or something like that. I think your list can do ok against these elite armies if you exploit your range.

If someone actually has the list to bring 500 pts of Nids, or Orks or Imperial guard (no one does that), you're basically gonna be staying as far away from them as you can, while dismantling their ranged support units (tyranid warriors/command squads/heavy weapons teams/lootas).

If you see Tau, cry. Razz

@ortamuswolf wrote:
hq: Lhamean

troops: 5x kabilite with 1x blaster in venom

6x kabilite 1 x blaster in raider

elite:
3x incubi 1x klaivex (warlord)

fast attack
3x reavers 1x heat lance

3 x reavers 1 x heatlance

I like your list as well, but I'd opt for Cluster Caltrops instead of the heat lances. With Incubi and 2 units of reavers, your list is surprisingly killy in close combat. As the Reavers come with rending, they're actually fairly reliable against tanks once you buy them Cluster Caltrops.

Consider dropping the 6th Warrior in your Raider squad, so that you can afford a dark lance for the Raider itself. That will make up for the slight drop in ranged anti tank.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Sat Mar 05 2016, 11:13

I hadn't thought of using the reavers with caltrops, I will have to look into it! thanks for the ideaas.
Back to top Go down
ortamuswolf
Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Sat Mar 05 2016, 11:46

so I'm having a game tomorrow and I've amended the list I gave earlier. id like your thoughts. also want to know how your list went HuskBlade? any points pros and cons etc?

My list.
Lhamaean
4x Incubi 1 upgraded to Klaivex ( warlord)
Venom with splinter cannon upgrade

5x Kabalite 1x blaster
Venom splinter cannon upgrade

5x kabalite
raider

Scourges 4x haywire blasters

total 500 on the dot.4

other teams play imperial guard and two teams of space marines. possibly one tau.

tactics utilize the 36" range and wittle down troops use the scourges for anti tank, and raider to take out terminators/ elites. Incubi to mop up any remaining pers.

issues I see coming from this is getting my scourges into position before they get crumped. ideas? the rest I think should do okay.

Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Sat Mar 05 2016, 12:58

List seems 'ok'. I quite liked the Reaver list, but this has it's merits as well.

A decent strategy would be to bunch up your units in the middle at the start, then in your first turn move the whole fleet towards one flank, as everything can move 12" minimum, then blast every pair of boots on the ground away. It should be good versus Guard, as you can pick out any command squads and snipe russes with the haywire if they squeeze one in at 500pts.

Against Space Marines, the same strategy is decent as well, because they're pretty short ranged. Simply bully anything with decent guns on it (predators/whirlwinds/devastators) with everything till it dies, then focus the fastest moving elements of their army (assualt marines/landspeeders/bikes). Everything else can be easily kited and shot to bits before it can get in range of you.

Regarding the Scourges, simply hugging/skirting around cover is usually enough, especially at 500 points. If you're paranoid, you can always deepstrike them, though that has risks of it's own. The range of the haywire blaster is one of it's greatest strengths, as you'll only just in range of basic rifles AFTER you've eaten their tank with glancing hits.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: 500 Point Beginner's List   Sat Mar 05 2016, 20:21

Dare I highjack this topic as a fellow newbie and say it's not easy to make a list at all, no matterBattleScribe, Rulebook, Codex, forums. I've got a raider, box of warriors, box of witches, box of hellions, and 14 old warriors, with Archon coming in. And I am struggling to make a list that can be simple to memorise and expand, to be good for KillTeam (200-250 points), Combat Patrol (400 points) with its rules, and for regular 500 points CAD. When I say good I don't mean spectacular, just something that can be played with, even if with low success, and easy to memorise and add on. If you buddies have any idea how to handle this situation, you are welcome to suggest. I've given it a tought (to say the least), it's a pain.
Back to top Go down

500 Point Beginner's List
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: