HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

The question of battlefield structures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Carcearion
Slave

PostSubject: The question of battlefield structures   Thu Feb 18 2016, 22:24

So I’ve been on a terrain building kick lately, I normally stick to the ruins of imperial cityscapes but lately I’ve been branching out and doing some factions specific stuff. After rolling through some fun warped chaos terrain and doing tyranid pieces I’ve been thinking more and more about the challenge of some Dark Eldar structures.

However the more and more I thought about it the more conflicted I’d become about the whole idea of Dark Eldar terrain. Other than ancient web-way portals (which frankly are basically pre-fall universal Eldar type buildings) I don’t really see any reason for a raiding party to have any kind of battlefield structures (beyond perhaps the DE version of a aegis defense line), it’s all about lightning fast strikes and flying off with as many victims as possible. Now I know the DOW games features a collection of DE buildings and structures, but frankly those games did not always do a very good job of representing lore (In fact I understand the games where de-canonized) and the games structure required them to invent some – and I’ve never read anything in the lore or seen any artwork that depicted DE structures outside of the dark city.

On the other hand they would certainly have the technology to gate in buildings if they really wanted to, I mean at least up to a Tantalus sized building would make sense. Some slave cages or torture racks seem like they could be essential to any raid, but even big scary towers or buildings if they really wanted to aren’t difficult to imagine (why not gate in fortifications right into the middle of a big population center if you could?) – But once again it still seems kind of against their whole hit and run super high mobility doctrine and nothing I’ve seen really supports it in the lore (or suggests it in the artwork).

I’m curious about people’s thoughts, or insight on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Imateria
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Thu Feb 18 2016, 22:34

I think this would depend entirely on where you want to set the battle. Planetside for a DE raid there's going to be nothing but what about the inside of their spaceships, or Commoragh and other Webway ports or the stations and outposts that can be found in Realspace?
Back to top Go down
Carcearion
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Thu Feb 18 2016, 22:50

I had the typical raid on an imperial world scenario in mind. Some people have really made some cool Dark Elder looking terrain pieces to splash onto this kind of board, which got me thinking about the whole thing.

Starships in the 40st millennium are crazy huge, but you don’t really think about whole regiments of imperial guard or companies of space marines (tanks and all) as part of boarding actions. It does sound like a really awesome idea for a Killteam board though.

I hadn’t really thought about DE real space stations, there is the ominously named "Fortress of the Death-Night" out there, and I seriously doubt imperial forces never try to attack these kinds of stations. Building a whole board to represent this kind of thing would be quite a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Thu Feb 18 2016, 23:33

I have often bemoaned the lack of DE terrain. I think suitably awesome pieces would justify the mental jiggery-pokery needed to explain their existence.
Back to top Go down
Creeping Darkness
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 01:38

The Dark Kin still need to eat, reload, refuel, etc. So if a raid lasts more than a couple of days (surely the big ones go on for quite some time to pillage enough to be worthwhile) then they will need some supply infrastructure.

I imagine a Dark Eldar logistics station would contain a lot of prefab structures that are easy to deploy and easy to pack up again, possibly with attached webway portals for an emergency exit. There are probably largeish flatbed skimmers analagous to trucks that can meet a raiding party on the move for a quick resupply, then go back to the temporary base. They'd probably store slaves and plunder there for processing and shifting back to the Dark City. Security emplacements would undoubtedly be around the perimeter, although I would imagine the whole area would be heavily concealed, or possibly camouflaged in the ruins of an imperial city.

This could give you an excuse to do some DE-style security towers, storage huts, wrecked skimmer trucks and whatnot - perhaps their wide area shadow field failed, and the nearest active units have suddenly had to rush back to prevent losing their food and hard-won plunder from an ambitious enemy force?

http://thecreepingdarkness.blogspot.com
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 02:47

@Creeping Darkness wrote:
This could give you an excuse to do some DE-style security towers, storage huts, wrecked skimmer trucks and whatnot - perhaps their wide area shadow field failed, and the nearest active units have suddenly had to rush back to prevent losing their food and hard-won plunder from an ambitious enemy force?

Talk about forging the narrative! +1

I think the sculptor/modeller themselves could choose to create a set up of shiny and untarnished equipment, in a newly established outposts, or abandoned, with damaged and 'ruined' towers, walls, vehicles and infrastructure.

Most other factions inevitably make their fortifications quite "messy" - the look of rust, mud, decay, organics etc are often needed to add character to their pieces, but with Dark Eldar and Eldar, a clean, pointy feel could work just as well.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 03:48

I think your right, many of the named events in the codex defiantly imply hellish raids that terrorize the populace of a world for quite some time, it seems like logistically it would impossible to really do that without the very least some slave pens to store victims in (and I think it follows other basic supplies for said raiders) before being funneled away into a webway portal. I mean we are talking about a whole lot of people being moved when the population of entire planet is getting thinned out.

Hmmm.... I could definatly see atleast like basic perimiter towers or defensive walls with splinter racks. I mean if you can just attach it to a raiders sail im sure building it into a structure would be a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Klaivex

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 06:07

What about the guys stealing a planet? They have done it with suns before. One could imagine such strictures to pull the planet inside the Web way. Think about all the delicious terror and fear and we could take as much time as we want to to feed.

Those structures would make for great mission markers too!

The Dark Eldar Codex sucks. You probably won just because your enemy loaded his dice to loose. Never forget this mantra and spread the word. Mention it in every discussion possible, people can´t get enough of that valuable information and need to be reminded regularely.
+++++END OF TRANSMISSION+++++
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t12720-tainted-reborn
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 10:11

The existing DE scenery actually have this theme - slave pens, with forcefield around holding area, stairs and balcony for guard, and Webway Portal to transport them to Kabal grounds.

Imateria
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The question of battlefield structures   Fri Feb 19 2016, 13:41

Existing DE scenery?

@CptMetal wrote:
What about the guys stealing a planet? They have done it with suns before. One could imagine such strictures to pull the planet inside the Web way. Think about all the delicious terror and fear and we could take as much time as we want to to feed.

Those structures would make for great mission markers too!

The Covens supplement made no mention of any buildings being used and the only mention of the tech used to steal the planet was breachers placed indavidually by each of the Haemonculi.
Back to top Go down

The question of battlefield structures
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: