HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

New to Dark Eldar 1500

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Colej
Slave

PostSubject: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Sun Feb 14 2016, 23:19

Hello my fellow Archons I fell in love with the lore of the Dark Eldar and bought and painted some models and need help knowing what to buy to build a competitive 1500 point army. I currently own

Archon 1
Warriors 20 (15 with splinter rifles, 2 sybarites, 2 splinter cannons, 1 dark lance, 1 blaster)
Wyches 10
Raiders 2
Reavers 3
Ravager 1

Here is what the scheme looks like I would like to try to maximize what I have already bought for my wallets sake. The Wyches will be benched though I know how bad they are (sad for such gorgeous models). I am willing to ally Harlequins but not eldar. Eldar just don't fit in my armies fantasy

" />

Back to top Go down
doctorz
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Mon Feb 15 2016, 02:16

First of all playing dark Eldar is kind of an expensive proposition no matter what. What I would say is that you should start out by buying a bunch of venoms 4-6 as they will always be useful. If you want to use the Reavers you need to get 3 to 6 more at least. As they tend to suck in small numbers. Three of them can really kill anything. I would also recommend two more Ravagers.
Back to top Go down
doctorz
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Mon Feb 15 2016, 02:29

I might try something like this

Archon

6x 5 kabalite in venoms

2x 5 trueborn with 4 blasters in raiders

2x 3 Reavers with cluster caltrops

3x Ravagers with dark lances

Back to top Go down
Colej
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Mon Feb 15 2016, 16:25

@doctorz wrote:
I might try something like this

Archon

6x 5 kabalite in venoms

2x 5 trueborn with 4 blasters in raiders

2x 3 Reavers with cluster caltrops

3x Ravagers with dark lances

Yeah that seems like a solid list, plenty of targets to saturate my enemy with. Do you think though I could invest less in Venoms and maybe have an allied detachment with Harlequins that's viable? that way I can use the raiders I already own? and should my archon foot-slog it? I'll hopefully be buying some venoms today though Smile
Back to top Go down
Colej
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Tue Feb 16 2016, 01:59

Since I want to keep my raiders that I painted I was thinking about maybe this list

Dark Eldar
HQ----
Archon - 105
Armour of misery, agoniser, haywire Grenades

Troops----
Kabalite warriors 5 -venom- splinter cannon 105
Kabalite warriors 5 -venom- splinter cannon 105

Fast Attack----
Raider- Nightshields 70
Raider- Nightshields 70
Reavers 6-2 Cluster Caltrops 126

Heavy Support
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance

Harlequins
Cast of Players-270
Death Jester- Haywire grenades
Shadowseer- Haywire grenades, Mastery Level 2
Troupe- 5x players 1 troupe master w/Haywire grenade

Cast of Players-270

Can I take two formations as allies or do I have to take a masque detachment? not completely sure on the rules I am a painter more then I am a player but I want to start playing more

This list makes use of all of the models I already have and i get a few more venoms, ravagers, and reavers plus harlequins. Also I am writing all of these units out with pen and paper and was not sure how to organize it to show it so if it's a little confusing i'm very sorry

Does it look viable? are the points for the cast of players to high? any advice or even different lists all together would be a huge help
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Tue Feb 16 2016, 03:41

@Colej wrote:
Dark Eldar
HQ----
Archon - 105
Armour of misery, agoniser, haywire Grenades

This guy desperately needs a shadowfield if you want him to achieve things in close combat. You can also use him to tank incoming shooting, and rely on "Look out Sir!" if something S6 looks his way that you're worried he'll die to. (instant death)

@Colej wrote:
Fast Attack----
Raider- Nightshields 70
Raider- Nightshields 70
Reavers 6-2 Cluster Caltrops 126

I like the reavers here, but having 2 Raiders really limits the FA options you can use. I think this is 'ok' but I'd like to see at least one unit of Scourges here.

@Colej wrote:

Heavy Support
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance
Ravager- 3x Dark Lance

Solid anti tank choices, but I'd probably spend the points on one of these for some Scourges to add more choice for your ranged anti tank options. Haywire is very effective when you have a unit expressly made for it. You'll also probably tear your hair out making and painting 3 Ravagers in a row for your first main list.. After all, variety is the spice of death..

@Colej wrote:
Harlequins
Cast of Players-270

Cast of Players-270

You should probably use just one of these units to start with. Test the waters with it and see if it is to your liking. Two of these units eat up so many points, so quickly, and also require 2 fast attack slots from your Dark Eldar with the accompanying Raiders.

If you're not adverse to taking Coven units, consider Grotesques in the place of one of these units - it will be much cheaper, and tougher against shooting from most things, and also be stronger against some targets. They also add, once more, variety to your close combat beatsticks. This also helps when your list winds up against hordes of infantry - imagine a huge (or several) platoon of Guardsmen - nothing you have at the moment wants to fight 40+ Fearless Guardsmen off an objective. You can substitute Orks or Nids or Cultists and the same would be true.

The problem is that your Harlequins aren't that much more dangerous to any of them in combat than most things are, and their bodies will make up the difference. Your few Kabalites and Venoms won't be able to shoot them off either. In step the Grotesques, who will happily mulch through them in record time, and then run off the eat a transport in their spare time.

On their own, Grotesques tend to struggle against good armour save combat units, such as Terminators or Honour Guard, but this is precisely where your Harlequins perform best. Their rending and natural 5++ means they duel quite nicely with well armoured infantry, so Grotesques and Harlequins, despite visually appearing as polar opposites, work in tandem incredibly well.

@Colej wrote:
Can I take two formations as allies or do I have to take a masque detachment? not completely sure on the rules I am a painter more then I am a player but I want to start playing more

It's legal, unless a tournament has rules that specifically state otherwise. For example, some ask for only a single CAD (basically the old Force Org)

And finally,

@Colej wrote:
Since I want to keep my raiders that I painted I was thinking about maybe this list

I agree. Your Raiders look really good. But picking a unit purely because you have a transport ready for them isn't a good way to approach a list.

If you drop a unit of Harlequins and focus on shooting more, I think you should consider a little conversion work and some magnetising on the sides of one or both of your Raiders. This way you can play them as either Raiders OR Ravagers depending on your needs! Smile

Slave

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Tue Feb 16 2016, 03:54

@hydranixx wrote:

I agree. Your Raiders look really good. But picking a unit purely because you have a transport ready for them isn't a good way to approach a list.

If you drop a unit of Harlequins and focus on shooting more, I think you should consider a little conversion work and some magnetising on the sides of one or both of your Raiders. This way you can play them as either Raiders OR Ravagers depending on your needs! Smile

Now this is interesting... I never thought about turning my raiders into ravagers. If I was able to find a good conversion guide this could solve my problem all together. The Time and money I wasted on the Raiders made me really want to hang out to them and since they are already painted the monotony of painting two more ravagers would be put at ease. I'll look online for conversions guides. even if I go with the harlequin/grotesque force you suggested I am worried about low model count. Just lots to think about thank you so much for your reply Surprised.
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: New to Dark Eldar 1500   Tue Feb 16 2016, 05:08

@Colej wrote:

The Time and money I wasted on the Raiders made me really want to hang out to them

There may well be more efficient gaming options like Venoms, but Raider(s) can always have a place in a Dark Eldar army. They're one of our most iconic units, and any unit we choose to play that even vaguely considers getting into combat would most likely prefer a Raider to a Venom.

Even if Venoms were simply, completely and utterly superior at all times, it doesn't detract from the great job you did on yours. So I wouldn't call it "time and money wasted". At least half of this hobby is about painting and modelling the units. Even if they don't find themselves in every list you make, you can still be proud of them.

@Colej wrote:
Just lots to think about thank you so much for your reply Surprised.

No worries whatsoever. Always happy to help. You'll find almost this entire forum is, in fact Very Happy

New to Dark Eldar 1500
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: