HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Wed Feb 03 2016, 20:46

We are joined by Freakshow Tactica author Jimsolo from Thedarkcity.net forums for a discussion on running the ultimate leadership shenanigans using Dark Eldar, Craftworld Eldar, and Harlequins for maximum terror and profit! Also featured is an interview with Nick (AKAThe Burning Eye from the forum) talking about his Hero for a Day charity event this summer. More information for the event can be found here:
http://theburningeye.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/gaming-for-charitable-gain.html

A couple of announcements: Jim's audio signal was rough in a few spots, listen on and the audio does improve! As mentioned on the Facebook page, we are looking for one person from each country outside of the United States that left reviews with iTunes accounts registered outside of the United States to send us a list of people that left reviews. Simply message us with the user names only of those that left reviews and we will enter your name twice! As an added bonus, Brian will probably butcher your name on Splinter Raid Episode 2 dropping February 17th when the winners are announced. Thanks again, our listeners are the best!

-Brian

Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Wed Feb 03 2016, 22:55

Thanks for having me on the show Brian!

Here's the links to the various things mentioned in the interview:

Hero for a Day page on my blog with links to all the updates, mission packs and the covert ops rules I'm working on.
http://theburningeye.blogspot.co.uk/p/hero-for-day.html

The online donations page where you can donate to the charity:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=heroforaday&isTeam=true

The charity's website:
http://www.cclg.org.uk/

And something I've put together in the last couple of days - a forum for those planning on attending the event or wanting to give me feedback on the mission pack/covert ops rules:
http://heroforaday.proboards.com/ (hint - you will need to register before you can see any of the forum, which is largely just a framework at present.

I should also note that the event is going to be in Asfordby, a small village just outside Melton Mowbray in the uk (yes, the one where they make the pork pies, I can certainly recommend them!) and will be held on the 20th August (starting at midnight on Friday the 19th)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Wed Feb 03 2016, 23:53

Omfug. You've heard of people saying 'so and so has a face for radio?'

I've got a voice for blogging.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 15:09

DGP productions approve.  cheers  that was awesome!

Something you didn't touch on was units with Stubborn-they ignore negative leadership effects when taking leadership tests. Shrieks etc. are still fully effective, but any leadership test is at base initiative.  Guess who can gift the ability to its squads via their commander? Rhymes with meow.

I've had great success with the Cast of players/spiritseer/Archon (cause its my converted duke model and I'm gonna play him dammit, but succubus is better) with armour of misery, mask of secrets and wwp in a raider. Its hideously effective to wipe a specific unit off the board. I went undefeated in the last tourney I played, (and am still undefeated with the list)  3rd overall due to Swiss scoring out of about  24+ people.

Edit: No debate, Psychic Shriek requires a roll to hit. Its a witchfire power, they roll to hit, brb p.27

Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 16:15

I haven't found Stubborn to be a huge deal. Unfortunately, I did forget to talk about it. (I had meant to make notes, but completely forgot to.)

I wish the Psychic Shriek issue was as simple as that, but the novels length arguments make it clear that just isn't so.

(This probably isn't the best spot to rehash those arguments, though.) I just let my opponents or TO decide how they want to do it and let it go at that.
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 18:10

Fantastic episode guys. Really really enjoyed it. Some real eye-opening discussion on the more esoteric elements available through the Eldar family of books. Really glad to hear Jim discuss limited detachment scenarios where it is still possible to play the leadership game though in a diminished goal. Its certainly something I plan on playing around with especially with the new Corsair book.

Anyway great to hear Jim on the show, I've really really enjoyed his articles on the forum. Its exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for when I tune into a faction specific podcast or hit up a forum of that nature as well. Really excellent stuff, so thanks guys!

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 18:26

Stubborn only affects morale and pinning checks; not all leadership tests.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 20:43

@organicpesticide wrote:

Indeed. Sorry again. (See, I knew there was a reason I had wanted to mention it!) My bad.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Thu Feb 04 2016, 23:14

@Jimsolo wrote:
@organicpesticide wrote:

Indeed. Sorry again. (See, I knew there was a reason I had wanted to mention it!) My bad.

Apologies for the lack of clarity. In my defence outside of shriek and mirror of minds the freakshow relies on morale checks, hence stubborn can be a real issue-especially with the prevalence of Tau.

Krossvain
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Wed Feb 17 2016, 06:09

As neat as the freakshow concept is, I don't feel that it is really a Dark Eldar thing. As mentioned in the episode, it relies on attachments from other codices heavily to really make it shine. By the time you are done, to me, it really doesn't seem like a Dark Eldar list.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the allied lists, as it seems that codex balance becomes less relevant when you can customize your army list cherry picking whatever you want. Eventually, you'll find that you're pulling so much from other codices that you may come to ask yourself the question "Am I really even playing DE anymore?" and "Would I be better off just cutting the DE out entirely, spending the points elsewhere?"

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   Sun Feb 21 2016, 01:53

@Krossvain wrote:
As neat as the freakshow concept is, I don't feel that it is really a Dark Eldar thing. As mentioned in the episode, it relies on attachments from other codices heavily to really make it shine. By the time you are done, to me, it really doesn't seem like a Dark Eldar list.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the allied lists, as it seems that codex balance becomes less relevant when you can customize your army list cherry picking whatever you want.  Eventually, you'll find that you're pulling so much from other codices that you may come to ask yourself the question "Am I really even playing DE anymore?" and "Would I be better off just cutting the DE out entirely, spending the points elsewhere?"

Thoughts?

Personally? Totally disagree. Can you do an effective 100% DE Freakshow list? No. But you can't do an effective Freakshow list with ANY single army.

It's a case study in the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. If you like one constituent army more than another, you can play up that angle, but a Freakshow will ALWAYS be more effective when composed of two or three factions than it will be with just one.

As to whether it would be more effective to cut out the DE entirely and just spend those points elsewhere? I don't think so, personally. The Freakshow is, at its core, a list based around a one-two combo of mechanics that you use over and over again. Jab, uppercut. And the Dark Eldar do the 'jab' better than any other faction.

If you want a Harlequin, or Craftworld, or Corsair heavy Freakshow, you can do those too. It's a versatile concept (like MSU or Deathstar--it's just a different way to play). You can even do it with other, non elf armies. (Necrons, Tyranids, Dark Angels, and Slaanesh-themed Daemons can all throw some serious weight in this arena.) But with the ally mechanics set up the way they are, the ability of the Dark Eldar, Harlequins, CWE, and Corsairs to minimize their weaknesses and maximize their strengths is unequalled.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow   

Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 20: Getting Freaky with the Freakshow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: