Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:08

@The Shredder wrote:
@colinsherlow wrote:
You can swap both on the hornets.  

Sure, you can swap both for one weapon.

I think it's pretty clearly intended to mean you can swap each for one of the weapons on the list. It's typical clunky GW writing, but the intent seems clear this time.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:13

@Jimsolo wrote:
@The Shredder wrote:
@colinsherlow wrote:
You can swap both on the hornets.  

Sure, you can swap both for one weapon.

I think it's pretty clearly intended to mean you can swap each for one of the weapons on the list.  It's typical clunky GW writing, but the intent seems clear this time.

That might be the intend, but RAW you can only only ever get one weapon.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:19

Literally no one plays RAW.  RAW, Wraithguard couldn't shoot at all in 5th and 6th.  This one seems pretty common sense.

When it says you may trade one or both for one, it doesn't seem like it takes a great leap to know they mean each trade is only for one weapon from this list. (That makes sense. The alternative, that you have the option to trade away an additional weapon for no benefit of any kind, makes none.)
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:29

It say may exchange either or both shuriken cannon (singular) for any one of the fallowing.
That and the Hornet comes with two pulse lasers when you buy it

Y'all know that it is supposed to mean you can swap one or both guns and swap out for 1 or 2 other weapons ;-)

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:33

@Jimsolo wrote:
 This one seems pretty common sense.

Well, let's hope your opponents consent to that. Many people might be less willing to accept that it was FW's intent to do the exact opposite of what their rules say. Neutral

@colinsherlow wrote:

That and the Hornet comes with two pulse lasers when you buy it

I'm not sure I'd use that as an indicator - not after GW had to errata the Succubus' rules, because her model came with an illegal weapon combination. Razz
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 20:41

Forge World also sells models with the gear that they are able to actually take. Aka 2 pulse lasers.
If anyone argued that they would get a visit from my local haemonculus in the middle of the night

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 22:29

@colinsherlow wrote:
Forge World also sells models with the gear that they are able to actually take. Aka 2 pulse lasers.
If anyone argued that they would get a visit from my local haemonculus in the middle of the night

lol!

Apropos of nothing, but I think Corsairs might be leading me down a... light path. I must confess that I've been increasingly tempted to try some *shudders* Eldar. Help me, guys! Tempt me back, lest I be consumed forever by the light side! pale
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sat Dec 19 2015, 23:18

I love all the space elves.

P.s. Craftworld Eldar are for sure not the light. They are kind of super villains that think they are the light.

Buuuut Dark Eldar are still waaaay more cool.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:13

For realsies, though: flamers, jet packs, and promethium pipes. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 16:49

It's a cool idea, I'm just not really sold on it. You opponent knows where you will be putting your flame troops and can avoid them if needed. Or be tough enough and not care. I would rather have a VSG if taking a fortifications.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 20:57

Shocked Avoid them?

The pipeline, assuming you buy just one and not the network, will be up to approx. 24" long. The threat zone around that is something akin to 22" in every direction (since your troops can move up to three times per turn, you can cover all sorts of that, too) Depending on deployment zones, that can be up to 50% of the table.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 21:04

@Jimsolo wrote:
Shocked Avoid them?

The pipeline, assuming you buy just one and not the network, will be up to approx. 24" long.  The threat zone around that is something akin to 22" in every direction (since your troops can move up to three times per turn, you can cover all sorts of that, too)  Depending on deployment zones, that can be up to 50% of the table.

Bah, I didn't want that 50% of the table anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 21:27

I am used to playing against stuff like that and I haven't had any issues getting around that stuff. It's not bad. Just haven't seen them do enough. Maybe if blob units come back into style ;-)

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Sun Dec 20 2015, 21:54

Lol, what else plays like that? The only thing I know of that could do that is Crisis Suits, and I've never seen a Tau player touch the Promethium Pipes. (Or anyone, come to think of it.)

Not to mention, the VSGs in the Network could give you a safe haven to use long range units (lances and lasers of varying types, splinter cannons, and whatnot) while the flame troops provide a mobile buffer with a HUGE threat footprint between you and them.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Mon Dec 21 2015, 17:53

Do you think a Grotesquerie or Dark Artisan would make a good ally for a Corsair army? Assuming, for the former, that I will not be attaching a Corsair Prince to them.

As for the promethium pipes idea, I'm afraid I simply don't know. I've never used them and nor has anyone in my group, so I have no experience to fall back on.
Back to top Go down
MarcoAvrelis
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Tue Dec 22 2015, 20:03

@The Shredder wrote:
Do you think a Grotesquerie or Dark Artisan would make a good ally for a Corsair army? Assuming, for the former, that I will not be attaching a Corsair Prince to them.

As for the promethium pipes idea, I'm afraid I simply don't know. I've never used them and nor has anyone in my group, so I have no experience to fall back on.

I believe a dark artisan would be great, for a more balanced* list, even better with 2.

2 dark artisans + hornets + lynx + cloud dancers + prince on jetbike + baron on jetbike could be a great, and balanced*, list, and I'm gonna try it.

*Not balanced like "Medium tier", but balanced as in "Great balance between Grunts, fast and support elements in the army".
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Thu Dec 24 2015, 22:45

With regard to Dark Lance Cloud Dancers, I was wondering if 40pts per model was too much. Then I realised that I was comparing them to the wrong unit (Balestrikes). Instead, let's compare a squad of 3 to a Ravager. They get:
- Can move 12" and still fire all weapons at full BS
- Can move 2d6" after firing (plus an additional d6+6" if their target happened to be 12" away)
- Have a much smaller target profile
- Can Flat Out twice as far
- Can buy additional Dark Lances (and wounds) for 40pts apiece
- Are troop choices with ObjSec

All that, and the squad costs 5pts less than the 3 Dark Lance Ravager.

@MarcoAvrelis wrote:

I believe a dark artisan would be great, for a more balanced* list, even better with 2.

2 dark artisans + hornets + lynx + cloud dancers + prince on jetbike + baron on jetbike could be a great, and balanced*, list, and I'm gonna try it.

*Not balanced like "Medium tier", but balanced as in "Great balance between Grunts, fast and support elements in the army".  

Interesting. I don't have the models to pull off that list myself, but I'll definitely try a DA with my Corsairs.

One thing I like about DA for ally purposes is that it's very self-contained.
Back to top Go down
colinsherlow
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Thu Dec 24 2015, 23:25

Ravagers can only fire all weapons moving 6". If they move 12" one snap fire.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Dec 25 2015, 00:07

@colinsherlow wrote:
Ravagers can only fire all weapons moving 6".  If they move 12" one snap fire.

My point exactly.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Dec 25 2015, 02:05

@colinsherlow wrote:
Ravagers can only fire all weapons moving 6".  If they move 12" one snap fire.

oh nooooooooooo
Back to top Go down
stilgar27
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Dec 25 2015, 02:44

3 ravagers would also be a lot less durable vs say lascannon (or melta) fire and most melee attackers, than 9 bikes would be.

The downside of course is that bikes are not fearless, although they are immune to pinning and replacing a lance bike with a baron can fix a lot of leadership issues.  Give him a shimmershield and the whole (10 wound) unit now has a 5++ on top of the 3+ armor.  Go one further and make them the troops in a titan breaker coterie and now they shoot significantly better (at their most likely prey) than ravagers as well.

They can't deep strike of course, but with 36" range and their mobility, I think I'd rather outflank anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Dec 25 2015, 10:28

Merry Christmas, chaps. santa

@stilgar27 wrote:
The downside of course is that bikes are not fearless, although they are immune to pinning and replacing a lance bike with a baron can fix a lot of leadership issues.  Give him a shimmershield and the whole (10 wound) unit now has a 5++ on top of the 3+ armor.  Go one further and make them the troops in a titan breaker coterie and now they shoot significantly better (at their most likely prey) than ravagers as well.

To be honest, with units of 3, I think I'd skip the Baron and Shimmershield and just take my chances.

If one of them has to take a Baron, then he can go at the front and be on bullet-catching duty.
Back to top Go down
The Red King
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Jan 01 2016, 21:29

So I finally got my book in and I suppose it is just my love of rangers and disdain for eldar jet bikes that led me to the Ghostwalkers. I think 5 with jet packs optional melta and haywire grenades are amazing. With infiltrate and scout. There is nothing stopping you from infiltrating 12-18 inches away. Scout moving 12, then regular moving up to 12 (the rule for a model with both rules is they get to infiltrate then scout). Meaning there is almost nowhere your target could hide to keep you out of melta/haywire grenade range. If you're lucky you blow it up. If not you leave it with some damage as easy pickings for ornery anti tank options. Followed by the reckless abandon/jet pack move, you can move them up to 24 inches away and into cover (with stealth ₩ or LoS blocking. Forcing your enemy to root them out or let them run around charging their backfield with Haywire grenades. More expensive than suicide witches, but much more mobile and much much more survivable.

I also spring the points for snipers in case the anti tank is unneeded. Plop them on an objective in cover and just snipe all day. If anything gets close you reckless/jet pack away and lead them on a merry chase.

Any thoughts? I saw nobody was putting any stock in the ghostwalkwer.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   Fri Jan 01 2016, 22:59

@The Red King wrote:
 Scout moving 12, then regular moving up to 12 (the rule for a model with both rules is they get to infiltrate then scout). Meaning there is almost nowhere your target could hide to keep you out of melta/haywire grenade range.

Minor point - Ghostwalkers can only regular move 6", not 12".

That aside, haywire grenades n a 5-man squad seem *really* expensive. With the tactic you're describing, you're paying 25pts for the ability to throw a single haywire grenade.

I'd rather take Jet pack Reavers with 2 fusion guns in a Sky Burners Coterie, and deep strike as close as possible to my target (scattering just 1d6) for 25pts less. Granted they can't act on the first turn, but they also can't be shot on the first turn. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corsair Tactics   

Back to top Go down

Corsair Tactics
Page 3 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

AELDARI ALLIES

:: Craftworld Eldar, Ynnari, Harlequins & Corsairs
-
Jump to: