HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 06:39

Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages
It's the one year anniversary episode! This is part one of our review of Dark Eldar as an army starting with the introduction in 3rd edition. As well as a spirited debate about whether or not Gary Morley was a total hack sculptor, we cover the origins of Dark Eldar in 40K fluff, the good/bad/and ugly of the original models, as well as a discussion reminiscing the good days when Dark Eldar played like Dark Eldar on the table. (GET OFF MY LAWN kids!) We interview Archon Claus from Thedarkcity.net about the upcoming Space Raid forum gift exchange and Khain mor of Dark Moon Kabal fame. Our iTunes review promotion is also announced, so get those reviews in and win great prizes from Fallouthobbies.com!

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Archon Claus
The Baddest Santa

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 07:10

Woot, I'm a social media celebrity! Twisted Evil

And my voice is even deeper than ESE's affraid

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 08:16

ESE you are a brilliant modler and painter, and you should make your own psychic battle tank, for the Dark Eldar. Very Happy

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 13:59

@Mushkilla wrote:
ESE you are a brilliant modler and painter, and you should make your own psychic battle tank, for the Dark Eldar. Very Happy

I can do a lot of things. None of them look like this. Besides, the Ultimate Dark Eldar Battle Tank is trademarked. Razz

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 19:49

There are no words.

There is however an emoticon.

Shocked

Good show guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 04 2015, 19:49

There are no words.

There is however an emoticon.

Shocked

Good show guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Mon Nov 16 2015, 16:17

Great show! I listened to it days ago, but it's taken me til now to find the time to write anything here.

I remember going back through 2nd ed lore when 3rd ed hit, and finding one or two extremely vague, one or two-line bits of fluff that included the phrase "Dark Eldar." I have no idea where I found them now, and I don't have the 2nd ed books. Maybe it was in Dark Millenium?

The smeared line was “Those not killed by their horrendous weapons are made captive and taken back to whatever wretched den of iniquity serves these pirates as a home.”

I think the psychic vampirism was a bit more overt in the beginning. In addition to the story about the failed coup, it's mentioned in the account of the former slave, who talks about being traded for souls, and also says, “Many die, and when one of the Masters dies, others quickly gather to feed upon the escaping soul. They fight each other, bit and claw if they have no weapons, to partake of that precious essence.”

What wasn't clear in the beginning was why they did it. The only hint we had was this (on p 42): “The Dark Eldar are inured to terror and death, taking a positive delight in the infliction of pain and misery. Yet there is something that fills their race with an utter dread, driving them onto [sic] ever more despicable acts of wanton bloodshed and torture; the Great Enemy; the One Who Thirsts, What the relationship between the Great Enemy and the Dark Eldar is, it is impossible to say. Although the Dark Eldar revel in their own wickedness and evil, there is a desperation about them; an all-consuming horror that forces them to kill and maim each other, to fall upon their prey without mercy, as if their very survival depended upon the extremity of the grievious [sic] deeds they perform.”

At the time I found the lack of information incredibly frustrating. I fell in love with Dark Eldar immediately, and wanted to know everything about them, and it just wasn't there. The other races had tons of background material from the first two editions, but I think starting the True Kin with the stripped-down codices of 3rd edition didn't do us any favors. I used to refer to the book as Pamphlet: Dark Eldar.

It also seemed like GW itself had no idea how to play the army they'd released. The Dark Eldar never won a battle report in White Dwarf during 3rd ed. Ever.

I fared better than that, but I still struggled with them. Partly, I don't think I was a great player back then, but I also struggled with a disconnect between what the Dark Eldar were and what I wanted them to be. I wanted them to be (true) Eldar: small numbers of lithe, deadly, elite warriors who couldn't play the attrition game but were fundamentally better than you. Instead I got disposable warriors with lasguns, and the notion of every victory being a pyrrhic one didn't fit with the notion of a dying race neither willing nor able to sustain heavy losses. (The regeneration crypts of the Haemonculi would solve this disconnect, but they were still a long time coming.)

I'm not sure I agree with 3rd ed Dark Eldar being an assault army. The Archon was sex and death on feet, and Incubi were amazing, but that's one character and one retinue. The rest of the army couldn't really kill things in assault. Genuine question: does an army with a single really good assault unit in it count as an assault army?

Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Tue Nov 17 2015, 17:43

Oh, I missed one! Regarding Dark Eldar consumption of delicious, delicious souls, on the second page it says this:

"You are doomed, DOOMED I tell you! For tonight we will feast on your very souls!"
-Lord Zuol, leader of the Despair Bringers of the Kabal of the Black Heart

I should start shouting that before my games.

Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 18 2015, 06:27

Loved it. Like always.

I have to say, I think I might put the 'I'm wearing your face on my face" archon in the 'worst minis ever' category. (That being said, I have an old school Lelith, and gave away my new one after I got her. What a gorgeous mini!)

Question regarding the iTunes thing. If I understood right, we leave a review on iTunes and you guys randomly pick one to receive fabulous prizes? How are you going to know whose is whose? (Or does iTunes give you some way to contact the people who leave the reviews.)
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 18 2015, 07:54

@Jimsolo wrote:

Question regarding the iTunes thing.  If I understood right, we leave a review on iTunes and you guys randomly pick one to receive fabulous prizes?  How are you going to know whose is whose?  (Or does iTunes give you some way to contact the people who leave the reviews.)

We actually have a number of prizes! We will announce the name of the reviewers on the show. They will need to contact us and provide some sort of proof.

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Wed Nov 18 2015, 07:59

(DOOMED I tell you!)

John M
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages   Tue Dec 08 2015, 18:13

Catching up; nice work
Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 17 Part 1: True Kin Through the Ages
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: