HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Painting purples

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15 2015, 13:36

Hi all,

I've recently started working on my Dark Eldar again after a several year hiatus and have hit a snag in my painting. I'm going for the standard hard edge highlights that people seem to favor with the current line of minis and want to be painting the armor plates purple. I really like the stahly tutorial on tale of painters but can't seem to get the right tone using VGC hexed lichen. The images show more of a bluey-grey purple rather than the almost reddish tone that hexed seems to have. Has anyone else managed to achieve something similar and could suggest an alternative colour to use for a mid highlight over naggaroth night? Is my hexed lichen just old and weird? I've been out so long that I don't know what the newer GW paints look like and can't think of a VGC paint at would work without mixing.

Also, if anyone has done something similar and has photos I'd love to see them!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15 2015, 21:22

Hexed Lichen Base
Layering with Warlord Purple
Highlights with Wolf Grey

Youl get color that look just like purple from 5th edition cover on archon.

aurynn
Incubi

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 15 2015, 22:50

Hexed lichen and naggaroth do produce a little reddish tint. Try glazing the result with dark blue (very thin glaze) or substitute the naggaroth night for some grey/blue colour. Purle is difficult exactly because of this. Best results I have seen is black shading, blueish midtone, purple highlights, white shines, lastly glazing with very thin hexed lichen to unify the transitions.
Back to top Go down
Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16 2015, 01:19

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try a glaze over my test model and see if that fixes the problem, if not I'll give both of your other suggestions a go, although a hexed lichen base is probably going in the wrong direction for what I'm after. Any other input would be top!
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16 2015, 09:19

You can dig Evil Space Elves project log, he paints very decent purple.

Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17 2015, 23:32

Yes his stuff is excellent, very vivid. I'm going more for a blue-purple colour.

I tried a dark blue glaze and an asurmen blue wash, both took the red right out of the hexed lichen. Still need to play around with it a bit but it's looking good.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18 2015, 11:11

A small tip - look at the "DARK CITY" headline on top of the page. Inside the letters there is Black-Blue-Purple transition. That might help too in finding your own mix of colours to use. :-)

Didnt the wash turn your black into blue?
Back to top Go down
Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19 2015, 05:18

I applied the wash pretty thin but yes it did turn the black a little blueish so I'll have another play around tonight, I'll post the results if anyone is interested.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20 2015, 14:51

Hi all,

Here's my first completed model. I ended up changing it up a little bit, the base is Naggaroth Night washed with Badab Black and highlighted with VGC Royal Purple. I did edge highlights with two mixes of VGC Royal purple mixed with VMC Salmon Rose. I think the final highlight is a little flat so I'll add some white next time maybe. It's a little rough but you get the idea, this is my first go at painting the newer DE range so I've not got my head around all the edges and curves yet.

Front

Back

What do people think about the silver weapon? I was thinking about borrowing a mates airbrush and trying to get a glow effect on the sides of the barrel.

Thanks again for the help!
Back to top Go down
Dracon Bob
Slave
Dracon Bob

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 03 2015, 22:53

Does anyone have any advice on getting those edge highlights nice and sharp? Specifically on surfaces where you can't just use the side of the brush like on the chest plates.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06 2015, 22:51

Do you want a full edge highlight or gradual highlight over the edges? For example on your pictures you are highglighting the whole edge of the warrior's shoulder guard. A highlight coming from a light source would most likely be gradual from sides to the almost white point where the light actually reflects. I would advice looking up some videos on youtube regarding highlighting of lightsource reflections. On the other hand, you might want to have full edge highlight, which would indicate a deliberate paint on the armour. I think you just need to decide which way to go. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painting purples Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting purples   Painting purples I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting purples
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-