HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Superheavy shooting sequence

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hellstrom
Wych

PostSubject: Superheavy shooting sequence   Tue Sep 08 2015, 23:13

When a Super-heavy vehicle makes a shooting attack, it is always treated as if it had remained stationary in the Movement phase (even if it actually moved), and it may fire each of its weapons at different targets if desired. [BRB]

During the Shooting Sequence (page 30 BRB), it tells us to:

1. Nominate Unit to shoot. In this case, my Revenant Titan.
2. Choose a Target. Just 1 target? Because I'm able to shoot at 3 .......

At the end of step 7 (final stage of shooting), it tells us to go back to step 3 and continue through to 6 again. This indicates that it's not possible to ever go back to step 2 and select another target, so we can only assume that at step 2, you HAVE to select EVERYthing that you want to shoot at during this models' Shooting Phase. Easy, select everything that you have LOS to and the range to hit.
So, step 2 is pointless for Superheavies.

This is where I get stuck. I'm going to post the entire of step 3.

3. Select a Weapon. Select a weapon the firing unit is equipped with. All models equipped with a weapon with the same name can now shoot that weapon at the target. Every model that wishes to shoot must be within range of at least one visible model in the target unit. Models that cannot see the target, or are not in range, cannot shoot.

The problem is that it tell us to shoot "weapons with the same name at the target". My Superheavy rules say, I don't need to do that. So I get stuck. When do I declare which gun is shooting what?

In the simplest terms, I need to know if I have to declare which 2 (or 1) targets my 2, very separate, Pulsars are going to shoot, before the first shoots or after.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 02:02

Its just like splitfire. You must nominate all of your targets with each weapon ahead of shooting anything . As with all unit shooting attacks they happen simultaneously.
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 05:26

I think the intent is for all the targets to be nominated at once.
Back to top Go down
Darkgreen Pirate
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 07:54

Seems a case of specific trumps general.

If you follow the shooting rules, and insert the specific gargantuan and super heavy rule allowing firing at multiple targets at normal step 2 nominate a target, and then follow the rest of the sequence it kind of works itself out; that is to say each weapon can be fired at a separate target, one at a time, even if they are identical weapons, as you can fire each at a separate target if you choose too.

The general rule "Step 3" would seem to be overwritten by the specific super heavy rule that it can fire at multiple targets if it chooses too.

At least that's how we've ruled it here.

Hellstrom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 09:47

@DarkOne wrote:
Its just like splitfire. You must nominate all of your targets with each weapon ahead of shooting anything . As with all unit shooting attacks they happen simultaneously.

This isn't the case in 7th.  Individual weapons fire one at a time.

@Darkgreen Pirate wrote:
Seems a case of specific trumps general.

If you follow the shooting rules, and insert the specific gargantuan and super heavy rule allowing firing at multiple targets at normal step 2 nominate a target, and then follow the rest of the sequence it kind of works itself out; that is to say each weapon can be fired at a separate target, one at a time, even if they are identical weapons, as you can fire each at a separate target if you choose too.

The general rule "Step 3" would seem to be overwritten by the specific super heavy rule that it can fire at multiple targets if it chooses too.

At least that's how we've ruled it here.

So, you would fire one pulsar at a target, roll its result and then decide where and what to shoot at with your second pulsar? Even the first target again if you fancied it?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 09:56

Ordinarily, when firing multiple weapons from a unit you repeat steps 3-7 of the shooting sequence. Choosing a target is step 2 though, so the shots still all have to be at the same target. In the case of super-heavies and other such stuff that can target different units though you are implicitly (if not explicitly) given permission to repeat steps 2-7 instead.

I'm not sure how this interacts with the rule that says you fire all weapons with the same name at the same time. I'd guess that you effectively ignore that rule and just treat each weapon separately but it's not something that is really addressed particularly well in the rules (quel surprise!).

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Myrvn
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 17:00

The overall decision doesn't matter to me, I'll play however. But I'm curious on a few parts.

There doesn't appear to be anything written or infered that you would be able to skip the requirement for all similar weapons to be fired at the same time. So even if you could choose different targets for the weapons, at a minimum wouldn't you have to fire both D-weapons at the same time, so decide on the targets just before firing both weapons? I've seen people shoot a land raider with one D-wepon, fail to blow it up, and then fire the second D-weapon at the same target. That seems inherently wrong for RAI. I don't see anything RAW that would back that interpretation.
Back to top Go down
shadowseercB
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 18:49

The rule book states all weapons of the same name must be fired at the same time as stated in the rule book. The game shops and tournaments I go to, if we are firing a weapon of the same name at multiple targets, we call them out. For example, A Wraith Knight must call out what targets hes firing at with his D-Cannons. You cannot fire one, see what happens then fire the other at another target if it didnt die.

3,500 Harlequin
Back to top Go down
Hellstrom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   Wed Sep 09 2015, 19:41

Glad to see everyone is disagreeing. Just as expected on this one Very Happy

GW suck at writing rule books.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Superheavy shooting sequence   

Back to top Go down

Superheavy shooting sequence