HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Splintermind Episode 14

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 14   Wed Aug 05 2015, 15:39

Thor and Cavalier take over the show as Brian is pulled away by real life Trueborn. The Dark Angels codex is reviewed as we discuss what it means for the Dark Eldar. Then we turn our conversation to an overall consideration of the DE codex in the meta of Warhammer 40k at the moment.

Plus - the first of our doner interviews as we try to shake a train story.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.

Last edited by Thor665 on Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Wed Aug 05 2015, 18:32

Thor, you posted the wrong link.
For everybody else: http://splintermind.libsyn.com/splintermind-the-dark-eldar-podcast-episode-14

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Wed Aug 05 2015, 20:01

@The Strange Dark One wrote:
Thor, you posted the wrong link.
For everybody else: http://splintermind.libsyn.com/splintermind-the-dark-eldar-podcast-episode-14

I take one episode off....

Thanks TSDO, fixed in the original post. And yes, I fixed it with a baby on one arm, typing with the other hand Twisted Evil

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:09

Actually Brian, what you edited in is not really the correct link - I am not sure what link I put in originally, but what Strange Dark One provided is the correct permalink. The link you posted Libsyn has no assurance of being permanent.

I put it to the permalink.

Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:50

I believe you need to end that with a mic drop Thor.

Just wanted to say thanks for the interview, I had a great time, even if I had to turn the podcast off 5 minutes into hearing my own voice Razz it was really very fun.

I hope some of you make it through to the end!

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Thu Aug 06 2015, 20:28

We still love your voice Dragontree, it will be okay Wink

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Thu Aug 06 2015, 20:55

@Dragontree wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the interview, I had a great time, even if I had to turn the podcast off 5 minutes into hearing my own voice Razz it was really very fun.

Everyone has that reaction when they hear themselves recorded the first few times. I can't listen to our early episodes now Razz

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye

Last edited by Evil Space Elves on Fri Aug 07 2015, 00:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FuelDrop
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Fri Aug 07 2015, 00:08

An excellent episode, though I disagree on how the codex is rated and especially where splinter rifles sit on the infantry weapons scale (The pulse rifle easily outclass it, with wounding on 2+/3+ against most targets, good AV capacity, and better range. Poison is nice against MCs, but the overwhelming majority of targets are going to be T3 or T4, in which case it's either worse than or on par with a bolt-gun. With Grav changing up the landscape so MCs are less viable, I'd say it's fine but not great and certainly not a top-tier infantry weapon.)
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Fri Aug 07 2015, 05:41

@FuelDrop wrote:
An excellent episode, though I disagree on how the codex is rated and especially where splinter rifles sit on the infantry weapons scale (The pulse rifle easily outclass it, with wounding on 2+/3+ against most targets, good AV capacity, and better range. Poison is nice against MCs, but the overwhelming majority of targets are going to be T3 or T4, in which case it's either worse than or on par with a bolt-gun. With Grav changing up the landscape so MCs are less viable, I'd say it's fine but not great and certainly not a top-tier infantry weapon.)
I might agree that MCs are less viable (though I think both the Daemon codex and the Nid codex would disagree with you) but there are assuredly a solid selection of T5+ units still showing up.

The pulse rifle is an excellent weapon though - but even if you want to call it top, and I (presume) you would agree with me that the Crons and Craftworld Eldar also belong in that discussion. What else is there. Assuredly we are superior to the Shoota, the Fleshborer, and the Lasrifle. I would also argue us as clearly superior to the Hot Shot Lasrifle as well, though maybe if you really sweat armor saves, not so much. That then tosses up the basic bolter (present on basically half the armies in the game), and the galvanic rifle.

At that point you are arguing that being better at beating up T3, equal to T4 and inferior to all else but with the ability to glance AV 10 on 6s is better (I will agree the Galvanic rifle has the AP 4 and the range and the precision shots, I will get to those next). I don't think the trade on glances is worth the boost on T3 (not really needed) and the weakness against the large variety of T5+ things that are potential threats in the game (like most FMCs, bikes, and a large variety of mid range beatstick tools). I suppose that can be debated, but that seems to push us above bolters. Then we have the galvanic rifles. I find the AP meaningless as it makes a very small difference versus a fairly tight range of foes. I will agree that the precision shots and range are something I rather like, but I don't think they overcome the potency of poison 4+ at range.

Now, back to the top 3. The Tau, the Crons, and the Craftworlders.
The Craftworlders really fail on range versus us, and that is a thing. Their weapons do more damage though, and are assault.
The Crons are basically us but worse versus T5+ but have the advantage of extending their weak glance ability to any and all Armor types.
The Tau gun i snice but is attached to an inferior BS which is a modifier to it.

I think it is fair of me to state that I feel our weapon is superior to the Tau gun, albeit I would like the Tau gun on a BS 4 trooper costing what ours does, I'll admit. But if I was given the option of swapping Warriors for Firewarriors as a Troop option, I would stick with Warriors. I would probably be willing to at least talk about Craftworlders, but dislike the range. I probably would go for the Crons, as long as I could save points by not 'paying' for their toughness buffs.

If you think all three of those weapons are better, that still leaves us with a better weapon than a substantial swathe of the game on basic infantry though, unless you want to argue that the Bolter is better, and I really don't think that glancing AV10 equates to the value of wounding on 4+ anything with a Toughness value that isn't a super heavy (and we can still wound those too, something else Bolters can't do)

That's basically my logic for calling it one of the best basic infantry weapons and top 2 in the game.

Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Fri Aug 07 2015, 15:53

Hey Dragontree nice to hear you on the podcast. Man I'm sorry to hear about your DE army, I wasn't aware of that. But now that you've been on the cast, you're now contractually obligated to get back on your horse and build an Eldar army of some variety!

That info about your gaming club was fascinating. Ancient Jazz club, Massive Attack (of which I'm a huge fan) and 40k all in one place sounds amazing.

Anyway thanks for your donation and thanks for appearing on the podcast man. Cheers!

Last edited by Cavalier on Fri Aug 07 2015, 16:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Fri Aug 07 2015, 16:14

Another good one.

And wooooooo! Mmmmmmaaaaaannnnnndraaaaaaaaaaaaaaakesssss!!!!
I love them, and use them exactly as you describe. They are my foil unit, and do the job well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Fri Aug 07 2015, 16:33

*twitch*

Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Sat Aug 08 2015, 09:54

Great stuff again guys Smile. Loved the discussion about the dark angels, and @Cavalier you are a great addition to the show Smile

@Dragontree. Rob, dont worry about listening to yourself, you sounded fine Smile It is always hard to listen to ones-self, I really struggled when I appeared on the show. It was great to hear from you, and it was a very interesting segment. Your club sounds awesome. Some of us in our club are thinking of coming down to Bristol for a two day tournament next year. I cant remember the name of it but I will find out and let you know. Thanks for the shoutout Smile

Oh and no I dont sniff glue @Thor665, just naturally slightly crazy Wink

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Sat Aug 08 2015, 14:34

@Cavalier I've been drawing up plans recently actually - though it will be somewhat unorthodox! I have a love of Dark Age Miniatures and I want to do a hive punk nomad force on hoverboard and may use Eldar rules to represent them - as the only other army with bikes for troops is Space Marines I think?

@Spellcheck2001 Is that called Vanquish? I've been the past 2 years and its very good fun. It is a properly competitive meta though with forgeworld lists allowed with relatively little comp, but in general its really good fun. Let me know if you're going to be down for it and I'll show you the sights of bristol Smile

@Evil Space Elves do you suffer from EOS (Exploding Ovary Syndrome) from your own voice!?

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Sat Aug 08 2015, 14:47

My ovaries are very much intact.

Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Sat Aug 15 2015, 15:39

Loved the discussion on strategy, particularly on incorporating assault units. Would love to hear a discussion about ways to handle AT (is the answer always ravagers?), anti air and specifically anti FMCs as well as AV flyers.

I
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Mon Aug 17 2015, 01:07

Just got to listening to this one, guys.
And bonus! A double episode!

Thanks for your effort guys and guests!

I think I can agree with the standing of our codex, I'm just unlucky that I came in to 40k as the 7th ed Dark Eldar codex came out and never got to experience things like Vect, good Incubi and AP2 Huskblade.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   Mon Aug 24 2015, 21:58

Another great episode.  I really enjoyed Thor and Cav's discussion of Dark Eldar counters to the new Dark Angels as well as their subsequent discussion of the current meta and our place in it.  One thing I was really glad to hear Thor discuss was the need to have at least one, preferably two, effective assault units in your list.  He also pointed out that for the DE, Grotesques fill this role more effectively than any other unit we have in the codex, which I also totally agree with.  After almost a year with the new codex, I've found that Grotesques are the big winners/all-stars of the book.  They don't get the praise that Wraiths and TWC do because they're not as fast (and on paper seem to lack resiliency, but I've found this is a case of how looks can be deceiving), but I think they're one of the best all-purpose CC units in the game and mine have never failed to exceed my expectations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 14   

Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 14
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: