If you're like me, you may be apathetic to actually doing the Mysterious Objectives when playing the book missions. They are ok but I'm perfectly fine not doing them as they rarely make a difference in the game and everyone hates Sabotage on principle.
Last night, a friend and I played the new Alter of War mission from WD 68.
Here's the mission (paraphrasing)
- 6 Objectives, placed in the standard alternating way per the BRB
- Player that Deploys first is the "Explorer"
- Explorer units within 3" of the objective are stubborn
- New Mysterious Objective Table
1. Explorer's units within 3" are Fearless
2. Units within 3" can choose to turn Night Fighting on or off
3. Units within 3" can choose to fire a Lascannon with Skyfire & Interceptor
4. Any unit that moves within 3" of the objective can immediately be placed anywhere on the table via Deep Strike rules
5. Units within 3" can choose to gain +1S to shooting attacks but gains Gets Hot
6. Creates a 6" bubble of -2S for all inbound shooting attacks. Shots originating within the bubble suffer no penalty.
We shifted this around abit and removed the "explorer" aspect of the mission since it was my DE (Explorer) vs his Dark Angels (already stubborn or fearless). Overall, it was a very fun mission because this Mysterious Objective Table actually makes a difference in the game.
Figured I'd post such here in the event people are interested and want to try it out in their own games.