HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 16:09

…YES IT IS!

This is one of my entries to the MWC September Conversion Contest. I made this conversion with the intention of bringing a little bit of the fantasy back into 40K. The Dark Elf Black Dragon model was just too cool to pass up, so I tried to find a way to make it a 40K vehicle and this is what I came up with.

Essentially on the table this would count as a Dark Eldar Ravager with 2 Disintegrator Cannons and one Dark Lance. I added subtle cybernetics all over it and modified the rider to have more Dark Eldar looking armor vs. Dark Elf. A left over Finecast Archon helmet was just the bit of dandy fopism I needed for the rider and voila!

I magnetized the 60mm base to the resin Plinth I picked up from Secret weapon Miniatures to allow me to use it both as a gaming model and a display model. When I wnat to game with is I simply "pop" the plinth off.

This wounded Marine is certainly saying to himself "Holy Throne! What the hell is that thing!"

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 17:39

Well done, this is thing kicks the crap out of awsome.

Feral dark eldar! Conversions like this and using cold ones as beastmasters opens the door for a very intersting theme.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 18:45

That dragon is a gorgeous model, I am glad to see that you found a way to incorporate it into 40K. You have done a great job with it Lucky, good luck with the conversion contest.

Are you doing a whole Exodite-themed army?
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 19:08

So, it's Razorwing?

I want to see it painted.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 19:19

Thanks for the compliments Everyone!
This thing is goign to be bad butt painted!

@Local_Ork
LuckyNo.5 wrote:

Essentially on the table this would count as a Dark Eldar Ravager with 2 Disintegrator Cannons and one Dark Lance. I added subtle cybernetics all over it and modified the rider to have more Dark Eldar looking armor vs. Dark Elf. A left over Finecast Archon helmet was just the bit of dandy fopism I needed for the rider and voila!

Court of Cruelty

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 19:42

My awesomeness-meter just exploded...
Awesome!

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 20:00

Oh. My bad. But Razorwing would feel... more natural.
Back to top Go down
Hadriel Caine
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 22:56

That looks freaking sweet. I love it. Can't wait to see it painted.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Mon Sep 19 2011, 23:06

A really unique idea and executed wonderfully, really looking forward to seeing it painted.

My only criticism is I'd like to see it with multiple eyes to tie it in with the new beasts.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Tue Sep 20 2011, 08:48

That looks more dangerous then a normal ravager. I think you should make some rules for a cyber-dragon riding archon special character to go with the model.
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Tue Sep 20 2011, 10:45

A fantastic idea! Especially well executed cybernetics on the head. My only point would be the weapons on the hands. For me, they look a little out of place there...

I de3finatly vote for feral dark eldar army! Or Dino-Raiders Razz (sorry had to bring this in Wink )
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Tue Sep 20 2011, 16:03

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

@Hydra
Sadly, I do not have the time to start another army right now, but a Dino riders army would be so sick....

@abjectus
I'm playing the Dragon as a Ravager with a ton of extras:
Aethersails = Wings
Envenomed Blades = Dragon Claws
Chain Snares = Dragon Claws
Retrofire Jets = Sudden wing reversal
Grisley Trophies = The whole general scariness of the dragon

So it's a bit more dangerous than normal Razz

@Skyserpent, thanks for the compliments man Smile
The multi-eye thing would be pretty cool for the normal eye area. I might look into that. I could greenstuff a whole new eye cluster area.

Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Sun Sep 25 2011, 01:39

On Warseer a member asked me for backstory, so I figured I'd share it here as well.

-----------------

I envision him as kind of Dark Eldar Large Game Catcher. Someone that on raids to exotic worlds captures strange beasts for sale or trade when he gets back to the Dark City. He sells these beasts to the wealthy elite for their private eclectic zoo's and personal hunting grounds. In doing so he aligns himself with the most wealthy and powerful Kabals and always gets a favor in return somewhere down the road. It might be an odd job, but eh, it's a living Wink

During raids he only uses the biggest most bad butt of all the beasts he's ever captured ad his personal steed. With the help of a Coven that he did an unusual and exceptional job for a few centuries ago, was able to augment the beast with cybernetics and a neural transmitter that allows him complete control and a telepathic mind link. Only the best of the best for this guy!

Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Tue Sep 27 2011, 16:52

BTW everyone, I entered it into the MWC contest here: http://miniaturewargameconversions.blogspot.com/2011/09/voting-has-begun-on-all-20-entries-into.html

I'm entry #6, please take a second to check out all the entries and vote for the best!

Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Tue Sep 27 2011, 22:23

Hey, I don't know if you are getting your email, shall I just PM ?

Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Wed Sep 28 2011, 08:43

Some excellent work in those entries Lucky. It's particularly nice to see another windsurfing Baron, I can't decide if I like #17 more than my own. Maybe I should do a whole windsurfing squad.

Anyway, I voted for what I felt was the best - nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I think the fact you are bringing some Fantasy back in to 40K is a big part of what makes yours special. That, and that freakin' Black Dragon model!

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
abjectus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Wed Sep 28 2011, 09:15

Gobbsmakked, I think your surfer is better done, because the other left the bike seat under the sail. There is no way somebody could sit there due to the sail being in way, but it is clearly still a seat. I had to really look close to notice that detail though.

That sister super heavy is nice, but I think the dragon idea is so original and well executed It deserves the win. Looks like it will be close though, many good conversions. I only went off the GW stuff, I have no idea about the Privateer conversions since I don't know what they started out looking like.
Back to top Go down
speedfreek
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Wed Sep 28 2011, 12:00

I agree, it was untactical of me to choose a model many are unfamiliar with.
Next time, I'll convert something from Games Workshop again.

And as always, there are a lot of "less well-executed" conversions getting a lot of votes as well.
My hope as always, is that with enough voters, the right entrant will win...
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Thu Apr 19 2012, 19:17

WOW! hadnt seen the dragon before, plus its got frikn lazer beams!

when i was a lad way back in 2nd ed i really wanted to do an exodite themed army, but availablility/accessability sort of nerfed that. about the only big lizard models i knew about were Cold ones, and they were too expensive for someone who built armies with lunch money. this has reinspired that love for the life of a nomad.

I think the rider looks awesome, nice subtle biomech additions and the paw cannons make me think of a godzilla type game on NES.

Dying marine nice touch!

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
http://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.

Last edited by mot666 on Fri Apr 20 2012, 08:30; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sorry mod man!)
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Thu Apr 19 2012, 19:33

Sounds like Archon Malixian from Path of Renegade.

Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Thu Apr 19 2012, 19:39

As beautiful as Lucky's work is, this thread was over 6 months old. Please check the forum rules, particularly 4b. Necro'ing modelling threads is OK, but requires a bit more than "Wow" please. Thank you, Gob.
Back to top Go down
KapitanGift
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Thu Jun 07 2012, 08:05

The jealousy right now...such a beautiful conversion, and good idea using it as a Ravager with all those attachments I'm sure that will baffle many enemies one day Smile

Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Fri Nov 23 2012, 00:39

I finally Finished This Conversion! Took Long enough on my part.

I also posted a tutorial some time ago on how I painted the wings [url=http://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-airbrush-leathery-bat-like-wings.html ]HERE[/url]

Court of Cruelty

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Fri Nov 23 2012, 09:56

Great job. But could you please tell me - where did you find that plateau, or whatever it is supposed to be called, that it is standing on? I am having quite a hard time finding such things.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
The Eye of Error
Dark Architect

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   Fri Nov 23 2012, 14:55

Thanks Saintspirit

Here's where I got the display base from: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_1

Plinth country might be good for you as well being in Europe.
http://plinthcountry.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

PostSubject: Re: Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...   

Back to top Go down

Is that a Dragon with freakin Disintegrator Cannons on it?...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: