Share | 

Parched

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Parched   Mon Jul 13 2015, 21:28

Parched

Death. The air reeked of it, the stench of scorched flesh and bloodied earth almost overriding all other senses. The once verdant landscape of Agradees lay befouled by hulking, power-armoured corpses, their wounds already being picked at by dark winged carrion birds. The initial cacophony of bestial roaring accompanied by the throaty revving of chain weaponry had faded to an almost soothing murmur now, as Archon Magdratheel smelled the stink of the dying, savoured the frustration of their thwarted rage, and felt invigorated by it.

From his clifftop vantage point, he surveyed the persistent pockets of resistance. The few ongoing conflicts were unfolding in much the same way as the rest had throughout the blood soaked day – skilled pilots would harry the frenzied foe, goading them into their flat footed charges and splitting their ranks, before the crews onboard would focus their fire on the now divided warriors. The chittering hordes of daemons that had accompanied the frenzied legionaries at the onset of the battle were no more, their forms collapsing in on themselves as their thirst for blood went unquenched.

Magdratheel watched as, not for the first time that day, the berserk warriors began hacking one another apart in their desperation to spill blood, enemy or otherwise. Sparks flew as whirring teeth cleaved through armour, blood misting the air until only one warrior remained. The Archon watched with amusement as this “champion”, seemingly ignorant of the rain of small arms fire peppering his armour and blackening his skin, bent to hack the head off one of his fallen comrades before lifting it high into the air. He barely had time to bellow his triumph before the arm was gone, severed at the elbow by a jetbike riders blade. Magdratheel fancied he could make out a faint look of surprise before the warriors head followed suit.

In truth, this battle had been little more than an aperitif. A foe that did not feel fear and terror was an easy foe to lead, lacking the instinct of self preservation that would send so many others scurrying. But the savouring of their pain was inhibited by this fearlessness. It lacked the rich undertones of terror, the subtle balance of shock and dread, the exquisite notes of loss and pain that made up an overwhelming bouquet of an almost carnal nature. Magdratheel turned to face the real prize, the sprawling mass of spires and domes that made up the imperial city of Thyrros. A shimmering energy field protected it still, the inhabitants wisely slow to trust the mysterious alien rescuers who had arrived in the nick of time to head off the tide of blood and brass. Their mistrust would waiver, Magdratheel knew, when they saw their friends and relatives from the outlying regions returned safely to them. A handpicked selection of the finest warriors at his disposal disguised amongst them would have no problems overwhelming the untrained, overworked guards manning the security systems when night fell. Then the feast could begin.

Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Parched   Tue Jul 14 2015, 01:30

Did you mean "jetbike rider's blade." or am I mistaken?

In any event, nice work! Worthy enough to be in the sidebar of a Games Workshop product. (Wouldn't that be messed up, if half these stories wound up there?)
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Parched   Tue Jul 14 2015, 07:44

Whoops. Ah well, too late to edit now! Thanks for the kind words, hopefully it's good enough for the judges Smile

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Parched   Tue Jul 14 2015, 22:50

For starters, Magdratheel is an awesome name! Great story, that last paragraph in particular is ace, describing the slaughter how one would a fine wine - a very Dark Eldar thing to do, and also a really nice way of incorporating 'thirst'. I think yours is my favorite entry overall Very Happy

'Never try to deceive,
And only say what you truly believe.'
- Alceste, The Misanthrope
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Parched   Wed Jul 15 2015, 15:32

Thanks! I was particularly pleased with that paragraph, it was added in on a redraft to replace something too lengthy and just sort of happened! Glad you liked it Smile

Parched
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

OTHER DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Stories & Art; The Black Library
-
Jump to: