AuthorMessage
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Jul 13 2015, 05:07

Hello! Here's all of my DE so far.

I'll post my BAO list in a reply.

BAO List:

Combined Arms Detachment

Succubus - Archite glaive, Haywire Grenades, Splinter pistol, The Armour of Misery

4x Troops - 5x Kabalite Warriors w/ Venoms Dual Cannons

2x Scourges - 4x Haywire blaster

Ravager - Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Nightshield

Formation: Dark Artisan
Cronos - Spirit Probe
Haemonculus - Scissorhand, Stinger pistol, Webway portal
Talos - Ichor Injector, Twin-Linked Splinter Cannon

Formation: Grotesquerie
Haemonculus - Scissorhand, Sindriq's Sump, Splinter Pistol
2x Grotesques each w/
Aberration - Scissorhand
3x Grotesque
Raider -Disintegrator, Enhanced Aethersails, Nightshield

Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Jul 13 2015, 08:00

Very nice lookin models. They have mental hospital feeling in them in a good way.

How did the tournament go?

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Jul 13 2015, 18:38

I like them! They definitely evoke hospital scrubs and blood on tile floors, which is a good thing (when fictional). I may need to reassess my plans for how I'm going to paint my Haemonculi.

They also remind me a lot of this guy's army on Dakka, which I came across last night while looking for conversion ideas for Reavers.

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Jul 13 2015, 18:48

@Vasara wrote:
Very nice lookin models. They have mental hospital feeling in them in a good way.

How did the tournament go?

This army indeed looks awesome in person!

If you are curious how he did, you can take a listen to his interview here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/splintermind/Splintermind_Bay_Area_Open_2015_Coverage.mp3
He was the last interview in the episode. (The closer!)

Woozl-It was really great chatting with you at the BAO! Listeners can really get a lot out your comments. We will definitely have to get a Coven team game in so we can field that stupidly ineffective Coven Carnival of Pain Razz

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Wed Jul 15 2015, 02:15

Take my money and give me your everything
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Wed Jul 15 2015, 08:24

Stunning. Really love the theme you have going, snd your basing works very well. Enjoyed your interview too Smile

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Fri Jul 17 2015, 22:58

Thanks everybody!

Post BAO, next up are some units to further fill out the coven. Wracks on sticks (and a Talos)

Also, I just noticed this morning that now the bottom of my phone is teal green. Wonder how that happened.
Back to top Go down
Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sat Jul 18 2015, 08:57

That picture makes me think of Vlad the Impaler.... Vlad the Haemonculus?
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sat Jul 18 2015, 22:05

@Calyptra wrote:
I like them! They definitely evoke hospital scrubs and blood on tile floors, which is a good thing (when fictional). I may need to reassess my plans for how I'm going to paint my Haemonculi.

They also remind me a lot of this guy's army on Dakka, which I came across last night while looking for conversion ideas for Reavers.

Thanks!

His army was a huge inspiration (though I was definitely aiming for more of the medical/surgical feel)

Another big inspiration was Dr. Faust's Painting Clinic DE. He also went for more of the wasteland look, and his color progressions were useful to follow, even if I ended up with slightly different colors. Particularly his skin went very purple, whereas I toned it down and added some flesh coloring so I could do the hair as a light purple instead.

Also, I have about 20 wyches lying around that are built but not painted. Rather than do them as straight wyches, I may use leftover wrack and talos bits to convert them into pseudo-wracks, so I can run them as wracks for now for narrative games, and if wyches ever make a comeback I can also run them as wyches with a straight face.

Doesn't seem like many people have tried this (given, the wrack kits haven't been out very long, and its been more often the case that wyches have been better than wracks such that people wouldn't need to do this conversion)

Found one example here:

http://screamtobeheard.blogspot.com/2013/06/from-operating-table.html
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sun Jul 19 2015, 12:22

Hot damn! These things are gorgeous. Love the color choices and the execution is flawless. Thanks for sharing this army is absolutely fantastic.

Adrenalight Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sat Jul 25 2015, 10:32

I'm going to echo what others have said in that the colour scheme is reminiscent of hospital gowns but that works really well. Your skin is really well painted, what is your recipe? Also how do you do your blood?

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems

Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sun Jul 26 2015, 17:23

For the skin:

Base rakarth flesh, then I do a watered down purple wash (secret weapon violet or something), and then a watered down reikland fleshshade wash. I try to make it so they partially but don't completely overlap on the washes, in order to modulate the shade color a bit. Then I highlight back up using rakarth and pallid wych flesh.

For the blood:

Generally, blood for the blood god. It (and the rest of the technical series they released) is/are amazing).

For the tiles and splatter, I use an old toothbrush and flick it into place. Crude, but it is easy and gets exactly the effect I want without having to work for it.

For vials and tubes, since BftBG is semi-translucent, what I have found works best is layering a greyscale under where i want it to go (e.g., dark grey up to white along a tube, or in white midway up a tube where i want the blood to stop). Then just goop BftBG on top and the greyscale underneath does the shading for you.

One important thiing for BtfBG is that it has a gloss finish, so I add the blood as the very last step in the entire process, after matte varnish. I discovered this about halfway through my army. Taking away the gloss finish on BtfBG removes a lot of the "fresh blood" effect", which is the whole point!
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 06:05

More Coven:

Next project:

And some terrain! Filling out the scatter terrain for a board I have been working on.

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 06:37

Very nice!

Side note: I was talking to Jody here in SC complaining that G3 Santa Cruz not only doesn't have cool meetings with beer, we also don't have much in the way of events these days. He told me to slap together a basic story line, see who will show up, and we could basically make it happen. I'd love to try and work some Eldar/DE things into the story so I can stop playing my Orks every time an event actually happens! Interested?

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 07:00

Definitely! Let me know if you come up with a couple of dates I'll see what fits on the calendar.
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 07:08

Some really nice work you've got here! The yellowed huskblade really stood out (strange thing to stand out, i know) and I may steal the idea Wink

The stark green/blue really stand out. I'm not a fan of the rusted armour look on all of the models, but the effect is executed very well.

Keep up the good work
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 07:23

@Woozl wrote:
Definitely! Let me know if you come up with a couple of dates I'll see what fits on the calendar.

How does January work? Figure it gives some time to prepare and make a terrain piece or two for a mission.

Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Aug 31 2015, 16:48

@Evil Space Elves wrote:
@Woozl wrote:

How does January work? Figure it gives some time to prepare and make a terrain piece or two for a mission.

Entire month is free for now, let me know as dates approach.

@nexs wrote:
Some really nice work you've got here! The yellowed huskblade really stood out (strange thing to stand out, i know) and I may steal the idea Wink

The stark green/blue really stand out. I'm not a fan of the rusted armour look on all of the models, but the effect is executed very well.

Keep up the good work

Thanks!

The yellowed huskblade is more accident than anything. I kept re-highlighting to bone and re-shading, and eventually just left it. Since it is finecast, it has already broken off twice, and I'm loathe to touch it again.

As for rust, on the cronos particularly I feel like since my shades of green were off, the effect is not very good for that one. BTW none of the vehicles are complete yet. I've already painted + weathered all the weapons and crew for all the vehicles. However, I'm holding off completing the vehicles until I finish a few more infantry units (incubi, troupe, heroes' path). Right now the vehicles are good enough to play with, so I'm ok sitting on them for a bit.
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sun Sep 06 2015, 16:37

A question:

What color scheme for my harlequins?

I kind of want to do the masque of midnight sorrow.

But I also think the alternate color scheme on the troupe box would also go well with my DE (forget the name)

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Sun Sep 06 2015, 19:49

The approach that I plan to take is to use colors from my DE and CWE armies (they were designed to complement each other). With all of the blue/greens in your scheme I would think of possibly using similar tones, but with contrasting colors that accent well with your scheme for the diamonds and checks to tie it in well when they are used together.

Whatever you come up with, make sure and post it so that I can steal it Razz

[EDIT] I would definitely try to incorporate black, orange, and purple into your Harlequin scheme to bring out the colors of your DE.

Back to top Go down
kabal_jagged_eye
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Sep 07 2015, 07:07

Spectacular work here Woozl. Really like your colour scheme, echoing what everyone else has said here about the feel of this army.

The Grotesque conversions are a great use of the Warhammer fantasy range and the Talos kitt. I have wanted to do this myself for sometime to get a Grotesquerie into my army.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the Harlequins Smile
Back to top Go down
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Mon Sep 07 2015, 18:11

@Evil Space Elves wrote:
The approach that I plan to take is to use colors from my DE and CWE armies (they were designed to complement each other). With all of the blue/greens in your scheme I would think of possibly using similar tones, but with contrasting colors that accent well with your scheme for the diamonds and checks to tie it in well when they are used together.

Whatever you come up with, make sure and post it so that I can steal it Razz

[EDIT] I would definitely try to incorporate black, orange, and purple into your Harlequin scheme to bring out the colors of your DE.

Hmm. I agree that having the schemes cross would be a good thing to do, but to be honest I'm interested in painting something more different. Do you think if I did something not matching (like the masque of midnight sorrow) it would clash or detract?

As for matching, I assume you are suggesting seagreen/purple/orange as they are complementary colors (i'm already using seagreen and purple in my color scheme).

Back to top Go down
Mr_Pink
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Thu Sep 10 2015, 02:54

I really love your work, Woozi. Your paint schemes and styles are so very BANG ON. I played with the idea of trying to make my Coven forces look like they came out of a hospital, and I thought it would involve intense modelling. However, you've shown how easily it can be accomplished by a clean paint scheme.

BRILLIANT! I particularly love the contrast of the cool teal/blue and the blood spatter.

Can't wait to see more bounce

Back to top Go down
http://modernsynthesist.blogspot.ca/
Woozl
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Thu Sep 10 2015, 21:55

@Mr_Pink wrote:
I really love your work, Woozi

Thanks!

ESE I think I am coming around to your orange/purple idea:

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   Thu Sep 10 2015, 22:39

@Woozl wrote:

ESE I think I am coming around to your orange/purple idea:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coven of Spliced Beauty   

Back to top Go down

Coven of Spliced Beauty
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs