Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Thu Feb 04 2016, 23:27

hydranixx wrote:

I think a Solarite is better served in a bigger flock of Scourges, say 8-10, so that there's more ablative wounds to get through before they hurt your special weaponry or your Solarite himself.

The trouble with that is that there's no reason to take more than 5 scourges. Better to just put those points towards another scourge squad.
Back to top Go down
hydranixx
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Thu Feb 04 2016, 23:48

The Shredder wrote:
hydranixx wrote:

I think a Solarite is better served in a bigger flock of Scourges, say 8-10, so that there's more ablative wounds to get through before they hurt your special weaponry or your Solarite himself.

The trouble with that is that there's no reason to take more than 5 scourges. Better to just put those points towards another scourge squad.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would never play more than 5 myself. Or in fact, include a Solarite.

I merely state that if ever a solarite were to be included, he's better in a bigger unit.

Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Fri Feb 05 2016, 00:07

I'm not sure I'd say 'better' so much as 'marginally less horrible'. Wink
Back to top Go down
amorrowlyday
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Fri Feb 05 2016, 02:01

No. Just as horrible. Their ONLY utility comes from the pistol allowing a 5th AV weapon, and the LD since LD 9 is significantly better for a unit that small arms fire is going to force leadership test from.

Why would I care that I can field a unit of  kabalites for the cost? A unit of kabalites can't even harm the intended target.

If I EVER take scourges anymore they have 1 job: pop the biggest vehicle the opponent brought and then run away as fast as possible.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Fri Feb 05 2016, 07:16

Well, Solarite is the only one with dubious honor of having able to take Power Lance. I still dont get why they did this. Power Lance is so good on our units, i'd take it anywhere. But on a squad that isnt suppose to assault anyway.

I'd even run 5 man Wyches squads if i could take cheap Hekatrix with Lance. But no - its either freakingly expensive Agonsier or a lousy power sword, not so cheap other. Meh.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Fri Feb 05 2016, 08:21

Azdrubael wrote:
Well, Solarite is the only one with dubious honor of having able to take Power Lance. I still dont get why they did this. Power Lance is so good on our units

It's simply because there's a power lance in the Scourges kit but not any of the others and, in the wake of the Chapterhouse lawsuit, GW was terrified of releasing any rules for which there were no models. Hence, if there's a model there's a rule and if there's no model then no rules. Despite the fact that all our kits use interchangeable parts!

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Fri Feb 05 2016, 11:01

Azdrubael wrote:
Power Lance is so good on our units, i'd take it anywhere.

Really?

On most sergeants it's 15pts for 4 S4 AP3 hits at WS4 on the charge. After that you're down to S3 AP4 (read: useless).

I don't really see the appeal of a weapon that's only good on the charge, but even then kills just a singe marine on average.

Anyway, as Count says, the reason is a load of copyright nonsense that doesn't seem to get applied to any other army. I mean, does every fething space marine - including the characters - have a power axe, power sword, power lance, power maul, lightning claw and power fist on their sprue?
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sat Feb 06 2016, 12:57

The Shredder wrote:
Azdrubael wrote:
Power Lance is so good on our units, i'd take it anywhere.

Really?

On most sergeants it's 15pts for 4 S4 AP3 hits at WS4 on the charge. After that you're down to S3 AP4 (read: useless).

I don't really see the appeal of a weapon that's only good on the charge, but even then kills just a singe marine on average.

It would be useful on Reavers, because they can just Hit & Run and assault again on the next turn.
I would not take it on a unit I expect to be in close combat for more than one round though.

The Shredder wrote:
Anyway, as Count says, the reason is a load of copyright nonsense that doesn't seem to get applied to any other army. I mean, does every fething space marine - including the characters - have a power axe, power sword, power lance, power maul, lightning claw and power fist on their sprue?

GW may have noticed how nonsensical that was, but sadly too late for us.
Although, it is applied to AdMech and Harlequins as well...
Back to top Go down
The Shredder
Trueborn

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sat Feb 06 2016, 13:13

Rokuro wrote:

It would be useful on Reavers, because they can just Hit & Run and assault again on the next turn.

I'd rather just use their Caltrops and Bladevanes again and save myself 25pts.

Rokuro wrote:

With regard to Admech, how can you tell?
Back to top Go down
Rokuro
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sat Feb 06 2016, 14:39

The Shredder wrote:
Rokuro wrote:

With regard to Admech, how can you tell?

Their characters have access only to the one or two weapons they come packed with.

But that could also be due to Harlequins and AdMech being kind of experimental still.
Back to top Go down
Duke Daedric
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sun Feb 07 2016, 11:16

80% of the time I use 2 units with haywire, opponents know that they are a huge threat so always tries to remove them early on. It seems that in my gaming community there is always somekind of AV model to shoot at. Only twice happened that by turn 4 I had no mech to shoot at (did remove 2 Dreads, 2 Rihnos, 1 Razorback and a predator by then).. so... 2 for me!
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sun Feb 07 2016, 11:49

Quote :
Really?

Sure - good enough, cheaper then agoniser. My favorite last edition succubi load out was lance and venom blade. Just 20 points of reliable melee. And it was affected by Furious Charge and drugs, unlike agoniser.

Razkien
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Mon Feb 08 2016, 07:01

9/10 times I take at least one unit of Scourges, almost exclusively with Haywire and nothing else. Depending on my army comp as a whole, I may take two units.

It's 50/50 if I DS or deploy on the field. Generally there are a lot of variables involved. One thing my Scourges have done well in almost every game where the situation presents itself is killing Imperial Knights.

In at least two games at the last tournament I went to (and games before and after) I was able to DS them at an angle that differed from the bulk of my Lance line and it can reliably take one out in a single salvo (all units shooting). Obviously, this involves the Knight not being on the back of the table (I find most players don't camp them in the back too often, as far as I've seen so far) and having a Ravager or two either in my deployment zone of coming from reserves. I take very Lance heavy lists so I usually can throw a lot of shots at it when the timing is right. I've been messing around with an Autarch as well, making reserve stuff less of a headache.

In short, I think they're a great unit when used well and I definitely prefer the Haywire over any other load out. The range plus good movement of the Scourges is very nice IMHO.

P.S.
For some of the reasons listed above in regards to why I like Haywire, I could see why some people may or do take Blasters with them. I find I generally have enough DL in my army as is, but it could be nice to take out TEQ stuff.

Regards,
Raz
Back to top Go down
Schismotive
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sun Feb 28 2016, 11:19

I always give them haywire blasters, I'd rather take the more consistent option. However, they tend to only get one round of shooting before they're dead. Most competitive armies have enough shooting to wipe away huge chunks of our army every turn, and 120 pts for 5 guys is just a bad investment imo.

It's a shame, but I personally find scourges pretty unplayable. But they're fun and cool so once in a while for casual games I throw 'em in
Back to top Go down
Archon Vitcus
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sun Feb 28 2016, 12:03

Point for point both units are 120. Te difference is though haywire is far more effective at popping tanks for that 120 cost. Heat lance scourges need a Wwp to make sure they are working melta range so your looking at adding and extra 90 points to te unit, more so if you give the archon a blaster.

Haywire's are still st4 so it's not like they are ineffective at dealing with infantry it's just not their main target. I cant think why I would use heat lance scourges over haywire really
Back to top Go down
Painjunky
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance   Sun Feb 28 2016, 22:00

Although they are squishy my haywire scourges regularly make it to the end of the game intact.

I keep them as hidden as possible 24" from their target. My opponents are usually too busy shooting my grotesquerie, multiple reaver units, ravagers and venoms.

After they've de-meched the enemy they aren't really worth shooting at anyway. Tho they are still fast and good obj grabbers.
Back to top Go down

Haywire Blaster vs Heat Lance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Dark Eldar Tactics
-
Jump to: