HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Fume Knight
Kabalite Warrior
The Fume Knight

Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? Empty
PostSubject: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29 2015, 07:00

For my curent army, I've had some fairly nice paint jobs, when I first started painting, I had my small chaos marine army, which looks quite frankly, god awful, I'm going to be shooting break cleaner all over them to start over, as for my Dark Eldar, most of them look pretty great, I go with the basic color scheme you see on the boxes, black armor, dark green trims on the edges, green eyes, purple clothing, although I usually paint the weapons differently, black with some dark grey, and a purple mix for the 'gems' on each gun, kind of giving it a, almost a power source type of look the each gem.

BUT when it comes to my Incubi I am very touchy. These units are by far my favorites, I have about 3 squads, and a fourth is delivering, more or less because I wanna paint it, haha, one of my biggest issues is the priming, I normally use your generic 'Abaddon Black' diluted with water, although unfortunately, I normally diluted it because I hear that it does NOT 'erase the details' although, the ones I've primed that way, I notice it has distorted some details, and even worse, I've missed a few spots, which were hard to see, and as a result, I have to repaint black over it, when I've already started trimming each armor plate, giving the repainted area's those nasty types of bumps all over the area.

I hear a spray paint can is the best option for an easy, and very prominent black prime on the models, the Klaives, I've given a paint scheme I found here, with the variety of greens and white, giving each Klaive an gauss-ish type of effect, which looks great.

The helmets I use a few Layers of 'Ceramite White' and the horns with a bone type of look, 'Tyrant Skull'. I use the glaze for the Klaives called 'Guilliman Blue'. The models themselves I throw some Nuln Oil on the armor, excluding the helmet, for a shiny type of look.

The armor trims, which I use many different types of dark greens ranging to about 'Sotek Green' and 'Incubi Darkness' as the most bluish colors, but, generally I use very little paint when it starts but it gives the armor trim a very big emphasis, until the paint is missing enough that it is like dry brushing, dry brushing usually gives color distortion on the rest of the armor which I try to avoid.

When it comes to the eyes, I wanna give them a glowing type of feel, I use 'Elysian Green' for the eyes themselves, how would someone tell me to do the approach of the 'glow' where theres a darker green around like 'Kabalite Green' without it looking trashy? Should I apply those layers, and put the white on last?

Sorry for the 99 questions, but I figure asking all in one post would be more worthwhile. Smile
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29 2015, 18:22

I think primer is one of those things that people have very different opinions about, like glue, and so you may need to experiment a bit before you find the one that you like the most.

GW's old (very old now) spray primer was excellent: it went on smoothly, didn't obscure details, and was pretty much bomb-proof. Unfortunately it is long gone now.

I think the stuff they sell now is junk: it's so thick it obscures details, doesn't hold pain particularly well, and is much more likely to rub or chip off.

I cycled through a few different unsatisfying spray primers before I settled on P3's, which I wasn't particularly thrilled about because it costs more and I have to order it online, but at least it works for me.

I generally find that when using any spray primer, you're going to have some hard-to-reach places on the model that only received a dusting. I don't see this as a problem. Primer is not a base coat, and you were planning to paint the whole model anyway, right?

You pretty much always want to thin your paint with a little water so that it will flow smoothly from the brush and not clump up. Sometimes this will mean applying more than one coat, and that's fine. Two or three thin coats of paint are always better than one thick coat.

Source lighting (such as glowing eyes) and gems are pretty common topics for painting tutorials. If you spend a couple minutes with Google I'm sure you can find some.

Back to top Go down
The Fume Knight
Kabalite Warrior
The Fume Knight

PostSubject: Re: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30 2015, 08:22

Good to know, thanks:)

Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03 2015, 07:47

Best primer is airbrush, without question. Spray cans are...well...they can be too inacurate and you can easily spray too much.

When it comes to armor trim, and i mean highlights by it - always always use the side of the brush while doing them and smaller size brush.

Also dont dilute paint with water, use mediums, Valejo for example.
As for eyes, i only know how to do them with airbrush, and its really easy.

If you want to emulate effect do following.

Paint Pure White, heavy diluted on area of of glowing. Imagin white comes from above.
Then paint the color of glow on the white areas, leaving high points untouched.
Then paint eye lenses with mix of pure white and glow color.
Place white or mixed highlights where needed.

The Fume Knight
Kabalite Warrior
The Fume Knight

PostSubject: Re: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14 2015, 06:46

Ahh.. cool:) I will try that for sure my friend, I've wanted to do airbrushing for a good while, It'll just be so expensive, so it'll be a while before I can go there, but I will try the eye thing out for sure:) P.s. I love Russian culture! Very Happy Ya tebya loobloo! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?   Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips on some ways to glaze my units and the armor trims?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: