HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Splintermind Episode 12

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 12   Wed Jun 10 2015, 18:45

Joined by a pair of wonderful guests, we explore the issue of 'new Trueborn' on a raid. Yes, this is the baby episode! Prepare to hear advice, thoughts, and reflections on how having a newborn can affect your hobby practice,a nd even get some exciting pointers on such things as 'painting with baby' and 'protecting your spikey bits'. Thor also manages to put himself in the doghouse, and we discuss the awesome progress of the fundraising efforts!

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
The Strange Dark One
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Wed Jun 10 2015, 19:19

Just hearing the intro of you guys, but I just wanted to tell that I don't play 40k either and I'm hearing your podcast as well Razz

I've read the books and simply love the background and like to learn more about it, and your pocast is a really interesting insight into the tabletop world as well. I want to start with DE eventually but I simply have other time-consuming creative hobbies which I want to finish first.

Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Wed Jun 10 2015, 19:32

I am a big fan of the DE, I think they have some of the prettiest models and also some of the most tactically deep options in the game.

Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 03:04

*Very* good episode, guys.

I don't have any desire to ever have children (and because I perform for a living, my life is so unstable that I don't think it would be responsible of me to do so), but I think everyone can relate to trying to find their own balance between life/career and hobby.

Regarding depression, postpartum or otherwise, I think that we don't talk enough about it because of the perceived stigma. Depression is not "feeling sad." It is a real, measurable disorder, with real, measurable, physical symptoms. There's a Stanford lecture on Youtube that is excellent. If you think you or someone you know might suffer from clinical depression, I recommend listening to it (possibly while painting models).

Back to top Go down
CurstAlchemist
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 04:11

While I don't have any children of my own, or on the way (at least I hope not), I still found it very informative and amusing to listen to. Some great advice was shared. Now to just wait and find out if Brian's Wife decided to listen to the new pod cast, it tends to be in my experience that when I count on the "status quo" to continue as is that is when it becomes disrupted. Smile
Back to top Go down
Paland
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 17:21

Hey Brian and Thor

I hope what i wright makes sense. Because of my dyslexia, something what I wright don't always make sense. But I will try my best and if there is something that don't make sense, just say so and i try to explain better Smile

Not sure how, but one day I found myself on StrikingScorpion82 Youtube channel and I remember the miniatures as a kid and thinking they look cool, but never play it. So I started watching just one battle report, then one more and one more. Without even knowing it, I was hook and wanting to get into the game.

I’m not sure, if everyone knows this, but this hobby is really expense. So I wanted to get a idea about what kind of army I wanted, before starting buying the models. I was looking for info about the different army’s. From looking at some the battle reports by SkaredCast and StrikingScorpion82, I like the playing style and looks for the dark elder. I am new to the game, so I was looking on more info about the Dark Eldars. And who will know more about Dark Eldars then the people that play Dark Eldar. Because I bike a hours’ time to kickboxing a few times a week, I started to look for podcast to listing to on the way. That is how I found Splintermind and The Dark City. I found that the podcast you guys made in the start about the codex and supplement, gave a good look into every unit and what was there strengs, weakness and why this is so. You may not have been thinking about it at the time, but because you didn't just compare the units to the old codex. But talk about the unit in this codex. For a new player, this was really helpful and made me sure that Dark Eldar was the army to play for me and how to build my army.

Another thing I like about the podcast is you guys are mature (mostly), funny and don't take things to seriously. Just enjoyable to listing to and interesting topics, like how other army’s see the Dark Eldar or the latest one about kids and getting time for the hobby. Even though i don't have any (that i know about).

Lots of other podcast, I found that the people on them sound like teenage kid in their language and was very negative about any codex, just saying that this and this sucks or complaining about it was to over powdered.

So far I been really impressed about the community that is The Dark City. People on it really helpful and come with good advice on what ever.  May it be a army list or painting. The feedback i have gotten on my painting, I feel have been very useful and improve it.
If you want to know more, you are welcome to contact me

Yours

Peter Rasmussen
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 19:06

Wow, thanks Peter - that was beautifully said. I am very happy that you found our podcast that useful!

Back to top Go down
LanceDarkstrong
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 19:29

Thanks for another awesome episode guys. I almost lost it at the peanut butter story. I'm very new to 40k and have been debating getting a fat mat and some terrain together for a play table downstairs. The discussion of having flexible play space with young archons around has definitely added yet another project to my list.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 19:42

Great listening again, even though the topic isn't really relevant to me.

I actually had kind of the opposite situation. It was my older siblings that got me in the hobby a long time ago (even though it was WHFB, not 40k), and it was my parents who had (and still have) little idea of the universe and the hobby. I think the only thing worse than collecting dark eldar is this weird scene I once pictured in my head where a preteen (or why not someone even younger) is showing Slaanesh-pictures from Chaos Daemons codex to their friend while the friend's parents are watching.

Also, thank you Peter for making me happier this day. It is great to hear not only that podcasts as well as some youtube channels are helping out, but also that people can still do all the effort to actually listen and research like that and that they still choose something with a look and style they wanted. I never watched any batreps before I started Dark Eldar or even really knew any units. Not that I would have decided to pick some other army if I was more "informed"!
Back to top Go down
Sigmaril
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 21:29

Having kids was actually what got me into 40K in the first place. My pre-kids life was in retrospect fairly free of concerns and responsibilities, as is often the case.
Once we turned parents, everything was chaos for a while, while we adjusted to our new life. My wife got into a long lasting sickness, so it was pretty rough for a while. Then at some point, I started experiencing mood-swings and in general becomming more and more hostile, especially when I was at home. It got so bad that my wife and I eventually turned to couples councelling. Here I discovered that my life had turned into a rather joy-less circle of routine: Get out of bed (WAY too early), take care of children, take care of wife, drop kids at daycare, go to work (the relaxing part of the day), pick kids up, take care of kids/wife, go to bed, get up 2-3 times to take more care of kids. Rince and repeat. Never a change.
Our councillor recommended I'd force some "me"-time into my day. At the very least half an hour a day, to do whatever I found relaxing. I had no idea what that should be, as at that point I hadn't had me-time for a few years, but I remembered from my youth playing dungeons & dragons, that I enjoyed painting miniatures. So I went to the store and bought a box of the prettiest ones, and started painting the same night.
Eventually, my wife got well and my kids turned out well-adjusted and happy, and order was restored completely, but I never let go of the me-time. It was my beacon of light when my sanity was about to crack.

tl:dr
My advice to you, Brian. Hang on to some me-time on a regular basis. It really can be just what the doctor orders.
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jun 11 2015, 23:14

I found this episode incredibly relevent to my current real life situation. We are expecting our first child too and I really have no idea on how it will effect my hobby and gaming time (and real life tbh too Very Happy ).
A very informative listen. I thoroughly enjoyed it and my mind is set at ease a little hearing the advice and guidance given out by your great guests Smile

Thanks for another great show

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Gigantor
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Fri Jun 12 2015, 00:01

@Sigmaril wrote:
Having kids was actually what got me into 40K in the first place. My pre-kids life was in retrospect fairly free of concerns and responsibilities, as is often the case.
Once we turned parents, everything was chaos for a while, while we adjusted to our new life. My wife got into a long lasting sickness, so it was pretty rough for a while. Then at some point, I started experiencing mood-swings and in general becomming more and more hostile, especially when I was at home. It got so bad that my wife and I eventually turned to couples councelling. Here I discovered that my life had turned into a rather joy-less circle of routine: Get out of bed (WAY too early), take care of children, take care of wife, drop kids at daycare, go to work (the relaxing part of the day), pick kids up, take care of kids/wife, go to bed, get up 2-3 times to take more care of kids. Rince and repeat. Never a change.
Our councillor recommended I'd force some "me"-time into my day. At the very least half an hour a day, to do whatever I found relaxing. I had no idea what that should be, as at that point I hadn't had me-time for a few years, but I remembered from my youth playing dungeons & dragons, that I enjoyed painting miniatures. So I went to the store and bought a box of the prettiest ones, and started painting the same night.
Eventually, my wife got well and my kids turned out well-adjusted and happy, and order was restored completely, but I never let go of the me-time. It was my beacon of light when my sanity was about to crack.

My advice to you, Brian. Hang on to some me-time on a regular basis. It really can be just what the doctor orders.

That's quite a story and I'm not sure how fully I can imagine the stress and strain that you were going through. It's awesome the hear that your whole family is doing much better and that you got through it.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Sun Jun 14 2015, 11:25

@Gigantor wrote:
@Sigmaril wrote:

That's quite a story and I'm not sure how fully I can imagine the stress and strain that you were going through. It's awesome the hear that your whole family is doing much better and that you got through it.

Wow thats an amazing story, Also glad to hear you all got through.

Thanks to the guests as well, never thought of early morning gaming as opposed to late late late night gaming!
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Mon Jun 15 2015, 20:18

Great episode guys!

I got into 40K through my kids, as well. I used to be an avid modeller when I was a teenager (you know, when canvas and string held aircraft together) and gradually grew out of it as girls and work and other distractions came along. My mostly aircraft models were given a suitable send-off by a) placing a firecracker inside the fuselage, or b) as target practice for my new .22.

Later, when my son was 9 or 10, LoTR was all the rage and some school friends gave him some GW models as a birthday gift. Drawing upon my long-lost skills, I helped him build and paint them. Then, like any true hobbyist, he wanted MOAR so we went to the local GW store to see what else was available. He walked in, looked to the left where the LoTR stuff was, then a bit further along at the WFB kits, and then to the right where the guys in space armour with big guns were - "COOL, Dad!"

That was the end of LoTR. We started off with the Battle for Macragge set and grew from there. The strategic and tactical thinking were good for his creative development, and the math didn't hurt, either. I have read a number of articles by teachers, doctors and counsellors who use 40K as a development, learning or rehabilitation tool with good effect, and it is true. But not just in the most obvious ways.

Neither of us liked the noise and behaviour at the GW store, so I joined a local tabletop gaming club and brought him along. It was a great experience for him, he not only learned good advice from experienced players, but by interacting with 20-, 30- and 40-year olds, he also matured and learned how to respect and socialize with other people properly. After he was lured away by the evil of computer games, I carried on with the hobby and the gaming, as I was thoroughly hooked once again. I still don't get anywhere near as much plastic-crack time as I would like, however.

The bit about having a distraction model in the podcast is sooooo true. We had a BA Chaplain that we got somewhere, somehow and didn't fit any of our armies. His younger sister kept insisting that she wanted to "Warhammer him", so one evening when we were painting we gave her that model and showed her what it looked like in a codex. She took the biggest brush we had and an entire pot of Blood Red, 5 or 6 paint strokes and, voila!, job done.

She quickly lost interest after that, which was a good thing, too - the look he gave her would have vapourised entire hive worlds.

Back to top Go down
Shinobi_8745
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Mon Jun 15 2015, 22:54

Another GREAT podcast as usual guys! I've been having some of my friends listen to it as they recently had their own trueborns. It has been a lot of help for them, and thanks to this I will be able to have a game for the first time with one of them since the past 6 months!
Back to top Go down
number9dream
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Fri Jun 26 2015, 16:47

Didn't listen to this episode yet, but the Eldar codex one compelled me to register here and leave a comment.

Best 40k podcast I've listened to. And I've been on a huge binge lately, listening to like everything --- this is just the perfect blend of competitive analysis, fluff and modelling. No over the board negativity, no senseless cheerleading or trying to sell something etc.

Really great work!
Back to top Go down
Jimsolo
Dracon

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   Thu Jul 02 2015, 23:32

I wanted to chime in with my own horror story:

I was resting my eyes on the couch the other day when my two year old came over and held out a toy for me. I took it, immediately feeling a sharp pain in my hand. He had handed me the Talos I'd just recently built (which I'd been keeping on the mantle over our fireplace, since it's built with barbed wire, push pins, and hypodermic needles). Apparently, he'd managed to build a staircase out of the tote we keep cat food in, an ottoman, and one of his toys.

Sigh. So now all my dangerous minis are in the basement unless he's asleep.

On a side note, let me SO echo the sentiment on the show: having time set up every week for each parent to get out and do their own thing is SUPER important. That's the only gaming time I get anymore, and I know if my wife didn't have her own time, she'd go nuts too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 12   

Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 12
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: