HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 
 

 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

50 points for a warlord trait?
Yes
7%
 7% [ 1 ]
No
93%
 93% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 14
 

AuthorMessage
Hellstrom
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 453
Join date : 2014-11-24
Location : South Central England

PostSubject: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Tue Apr 07 2015, 15:51

Assuming a list that doesn't require an Archon or a Haemy.  Would you guys consider paying the extra 50 points to take an Archon over a Lhamaean, just to get a roll on the Strategic Warlord table?
Back to top Go down
Klaivex Charondyr
Wych
avatar

Posts : 918
Join date : 2014-09-08

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Tue Apr 07 2015, 15:55

No. Besides every Character can roll for WL traits. Even an Abberation, a Klaivex, Arena Champion... in short: every unit champion can get WL Traits.
Only if you go without a single character you won't get a trait... rarley happens
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
avatar

Posts : 2501
Join date : 2012-01-16
Location : Rutland - UK

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Tue Apr 07 2015, 16:17

@Klaivex Charondyr wrote:
No. Besides every Character can roll for WL traits. Even an Abberation, a Klaivex, Arena Champion... in short: every unit champion can get WL Traits.
Only if you go without a single character you won't get a trait... rarley happens

A Lahamaean is not a character, which is, I'm assuming, what the poll is meaning.

but no, if I were considering going down that route, it wouldn't sway my decision.

_________________
Tan? You're joking, I'm a gamer, you're lucky I'm wearing deodorant!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Hellstrom
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 453
Join date : 2014-11-24
Location : South Central England

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Tue Apr 07 2015, 16:19

I never take Characters. Ever. Saying that, the sensible thing I've just learned from this, is of course, for 10 points I can make a Kabalite a Character and take a WL Trait!! Thank you kind sir Smile
Back to top Go down
Gherma
Kabalite Warrior
avatar

Posts : 160
Join date : 2012-12-10
Location : London, UK

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Tue Apr 07 2015, 19:26

I played the last 2 games withour a real HQ, just using a lhamean as HQ and my arena champion as WL, and I'm really happy of that: no nome adding 140 pts to your main unit creating a totally first priority target, and if my enemy wants to concentrate fire on the 3++ reavers is good to me, it means he is not shoting to wraithguards, blasterborns, venoms or more useful units.

The only bad thing is that fluffwise I love my archon... but at the moment I'm using his model to represent lhamean, saying that he is a clone/double of the real archon. Every dictator of history had doubles! XD

That said I think WL traits are really important: some of them can be real game changers.

_________________
CHECK MY MODELS ON MY PROJECT LOG: KABAL OF THE SHADOW GYRINX
Back to top Go down
Bleaksoul Brethren
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 251
Join date : 2014-09-02
Location : San Antonio

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Wed Apr 08 2015, 00:57

@Hellstrom wrote:
I never take Characters.  Ever.  Saying that, the sensible thing I've just learned from this, is of course, for 10 points I can make a Kabalite a Character and take a WL Trait!!  Thank you kind sir Smile
I never bring a character in a competitive list even a Sargent. This allows me to pick who I want to be my warlord depending on who I am playing and what I feel like. Do I want a reaver that you will never reach to be the warlord, or a warrior in a venom that has 4 inflated wounds, or the llhamean because you wouldnt target him otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
avatar

Posts : 3972
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Toroid Arena

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Wed Apr 08 2015, 08:51

@Bleaksoul Brethren wrote:
@Hellstrom wrote:
I never take Characters.  Ever.  Saying that, the sensible thing I've just learned from this, is of course, for 10 points I can make a Kabalite a Character and take a WL Trait!!  Thank you kind sir Smile
I never bring a character in a competitive list even a Sargent. This allows me to pick who I want to be my warlord depending on who I am playing and what I feel like. Do I want a reaver that you will never reach to be the warlord, or a warrior in a venom that has 4 inflated wounds, or the llhamean because you wouldnt target him otherwise.

So you don't bother with warlord traits? Interesting.

_________________
Latest Report: BR4: The Repugnant Ramblers Vs Imperial Knights - 1250pts
Pragmatic Realspace Raider Series


“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Scrz
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 321
Join date : 2015-01-23

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Wed Apr 08 2015, 12:09

It would depend on the point range of the game and what list I am running. For games of 1000 and under, I probably won't take an archon. But I might pay to uppgrade a grot to abberation and roll on the DE traits.
For 1250 pts and up i will have an archon for the WWP and will roll on the strategic chart from the rulebook. But paying for an archon just to get to roll is not worth it for me. I cant think of any games I've had lately where the warlord trait has mattered for the outcome.
Back to top Go down
Bleaksoul Brethren
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 251
Join date : 2014-09-02
Location : San Antonio

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Thu Apr 09 2015, 02:43

@Mushkilla wrote:
@Bleaksoul Brethren wrote:
@Hellstrom wrote:
I never take Characters.  Ever.  Saying that, the sensible thing I've just learned from this, is of course, for 10 points I can make a Kabalite a Character and take a WL Trait!!  Thank you kind sir Smile
I never bring a character in a competitive list even a Sargent. This allows me to pick who I want to be my warlord depending on who I am playing and what I feel like. Do I want a reaver that you will never reach to be the warlord, or a warrior in a venom that has 4 inflated wounds, or the llhamean because you wouldnt target him otherwise.

So you don't bother with warlord traits? Interesting.

Everything in my pure DE list is set. I play the averages. Venoms will do 4 wounds to t models, Dark Lances and blasters will glance on 4's. Nothing is expected to do above that or lower than that (though the dice gods do like to be finicky). I normally play the averages and have nothing in the list left to chance like a warlord trait.
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion
avatar

Posts : 3972
Join date : 2012-07-16
Location : Toroid Arena

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Thu Apr 09 2015, 09:03

@Bleaksoul Brethren wrote:
Everything in my pure DE list is set. I play the averages. Venoms will do 4 wounds to t models, Dark Lances and blasters will glance on 4's. Nothing is expected to do above that or lower than that (though the dice gods do like to be finicky). I normally play the averages and have nothing in the list left to chance like a warlord trait.

The thing is you don't really roll enough dice in a single game for there to be an average distribution. If you want to go down that route, and minimise risk and expectations of your units, which I think is valid (I do it with my list). Then I would suggest factoring out as much as possible, and when you do that you distill the game down to the mission, objective placement, deployment, movement and positioning. My army doesn't have to do any damage to win the game, just be in the right place at the right time.

However, that being said. Just because you minimise risk and your own expectations regarding what your units can accomplish doesn't mean random rolls are detrimental to your strategy. My army doesn't depend on warlord traits, but it doesn't mean rolling a good warlord trait can't make victory an even more likely outcome. How many mysterious objective rolls, tactical objective draws, random game length rolls have made victory come more easily? Quite a few in my case.

Why pass up on a roll that can give you an edge? You are only leaving things to chance if a roll can be detrimental to your strategy, warlord traits can only be positive.

Seriously if you really want to minimise what you leave to chance then factor shooting and assault completely out of your strategy, or to the point where combinatorics maths ensures there is a 99% success rate in your action.

_________________
Latest Report: BR4: The Repugnant Ramblers Vs Imperial Knights - 1250pts
Pragmatic Realspace Raider Series


“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
avatar

Posts : 2409
Join date : 2011-02-26
Location : Dais Of Administration

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Fri Apr 17 2015, 14:16

Taking this thread in a different direction, what warlord trait do you aim for the most?

Running a RSR reserve list, Labyrinth Cunning is too good not to roll for.

_________________

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Hellstrom
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 453
Join date : 2014-11-24
Location : South Central England

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Fri Apr 17 2015, 23:50

You don't get a WL trait with RSR do you?
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 478
Join date : 2014-04-04
Location : CA

PostSubject: Re: 50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?   Sat Apr 18 2015, 00:09

@Sky Serpent wrote:

Running a RSR reserve list, Labyrinth Cunning is too good not to roll for.

This

You do get a WLT with RSR. It allows you to reroll from the DE dex even.

If I was rolling off of the DE table I would really really want Labyrinthine cunning. Specifically for the reserve reroll. Because my RSR army would be 6 RZWF. (But chances are if I was serious about the list I would have a coms relay anyway...)

Although taking the chance which is totally the DE way that would be 80pts I could definitely find a good use for. Getting all 6 flyers in on turn 2 isn't exactly necessary all of the time.

If I am playing Maelstrom I roll off of the tactical traits basically solely. Probably would prefer two discards. (1)

If I am playing Eternal War missions I roll off of the Strategic Table. I love the move through cover rule and -1 to enemy reserves is usually pretty good (1 5 respectively)

_________________
Back to top Go down
 
50 points worth a roll on the Strat table?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

 :: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: