HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Corespur Elite - First Models Painted

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oneironaut
Slave

PostSubject: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   Sat Sep 10 2011, 20:24

It took me a while to settle on a paint scheme, but I finally chose do do a purple and blue scheme, inspired by a Storm of Magic game table that was recently shown on the GW website, it had a purple landscape with blue crystals jutting out. There are a few purple and blue Dark Eldar in the codex; a wych on page 72, a heliarch on page 75, and a reaver on page 76. I drew the inspiration for my paint jobs from these models, and decided to use the reaver's kabal's name for my growing Dark Eldar army; the Corespur Elite!

So, here's what I've painted in the last few days!

Here is the test model that I made after trying a few different things on some spare warriors,

Here is a closeup of the Raider,

Here is my favorite Wych,

And here is the Hetatrix!

The armor is a mix of about 5 parts Liche Purple and 1 part Chaos Black, and its highlighted with Liche Purple and then Warlock Purple. The body suits are Chaos Black with Codex Grey highlights. The hair is Necron Abyss, Enchanted Blue, and then Ice Blue. The flesh is Dheneb Stone with a Devlan Mud wash and Dheneb stone highlights. The metal is all Boltgun Metal.

So some question;
-I don't think I'm doing the bodysuits right, any tips on highlighting the back cloth?
-The flesh looks alright, but I don't think its perfect for the colors of my armor. Its a little more beige than it looks in these pictures. How would I do a more pale skin tone?
-I'm not quite sure what to do with the bases. What sort of base do you think would compliment my color scheme?
-I'm not sold on the Boltgun Metal, anyone think another metalic paint would look better?
-I'm definitely going to draw some patters on the Raider's hull, just haven't settled on what I want to draw on my grav ships. It will certainly be in Ice Blue. Maybe just some scattered groups lines that dance around the highlighted edges. Or maybe just some Dark Eldar runes like the one on the prow. Any suggestions for designs or good sources of inspiration for 'raider hull art'?

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
dahlberg
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   Mon Sep 12 2011, 03:57

I've been using Charadon Granite and a wash of badab black it kind of self highlights and I love it. My Dark eldar are also purple (when I start painting them lol) and will be on a dessert theme. My be aiming for a brighter purple kind of like Keranas http://www.thedarkcity.net/t808-kabal-cult-of-anguish

anyways but with my theme tin bits is going to look amazing on the metal area's (besides everyone uses boltgun and mithril). I like to be different

well that's my two cents good luck

Dread Pirate

PostSubject: Re: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   Wed Sep 14 2011, 18:31

@Oneironaut wrote:

So some question;
-I don't think I'm doing the bodysuits right, any tips on highlighting the back cloth?
-The flesh looks alright, but I don't think its perfect for the colors of my armor. Its a little more beige than it looks in these pictures. How would I do a more pale skin tone?
-I'm not quite sure what to do with the bases. What sort of base do you think would compliment my color scheme?
-I'm not sold on the Boltgun Metal, anyone think another metalic paint would look better?
-I'm definitely going to draw some patters on the Raider's hull, just haven't settled on what I want to draw on my grav ships. It will certainly be in Ice Blue. Maybe just some scattered groups lines that dance around the highlighted edges. Or maybe just some Dark Eldar runes like the one on the prow. Any suggestions for designs or good sources of inspiration for 'raider hull art'?

Thanks guys!

Question 1
rather than write it up all over again.
painting Black Article

Question 2
The skin is the color you paint it. What will probably help is to add some elf flesh to your basic mix. Alternatively, you could paint the skin dwarf flesh, wash it with a bit of Orgyn flesh wash and then wash it again with leviathan purple and/or Asurmen blue, then hghlight with Elf flesh.

Or mix in codex grey with elf flesh, equal amounts, wash with devlan mud, then highlight with elf flesh.

Question 3.
Given that purple is your primary color, something with yellow or orange would provide the most contrast. Going from just that, rock base with an orange-ish hue, like a terracotta with dead or yellow grass would be the most striking. If it was me, I would do rock/gravel with a final drybrush of bestial brown, then add static grass and let it dry, they drybrush the tips of the grass with Bubonic brown.

Question 4
I think a wash to shade the metallic would be fine. You could shade with Leviathan purple, and then highlight the metallic. it should look a lot better.

Question 5
Designs on the hulls is a tough one because there is no established design, just some graphics. I made templates for my Black Halo but I did a lot of trial and error to get the pattern right and the size right.
I would recommend drawing out designs till you find one you like, then make a template in paper, and cut it out to see how it looks. If it works, then use the template and go crazy with it. If not, then back to the drawing board till you get something you like. There's no sense experimenting on a model with paint and all that if you are not sure of what you want.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   Wed Sep 14 2011, 20:42

I use a similar magenta/Warlock Purple scheme with Teal rather than blue. Try washing the metal with Leviathan Purple or a blue. I mix in Vallejo smoke(Devlan mud works fine too) with blue or purple for washing metal if the blue or purple looks too fake on its own. Ditto on GAR's skin recommendations.

For the hull designs I use a 05 Micron(9.45mm) detail pen to draw the outline of what I want. Looking at designs on Reaver hulls and Raiders/Ravagers online should give you some good ideas. I then just fill in the design with paint, highlight, and voila.
This is one of my Venoms with hull designs done this way.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110290398945350395319/ScrapbookPhotos#5652425183983727922

Love the stuff so far. Show us more!
Back to top Go down
Keravin
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   Fri Sep 16 2011, 11:22

I've got a similar scheme as well, but I've been using white and light blue for designs

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corespur Elite - First Models Painted   

Back to top Go down

Corespur Elite - First Models Painted
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: