HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Splintermind Episode 09

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon

PostSubject: Splintermind Episode 09   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 pm

The Harlequin Codex has been released for Warhammer 40k. We discuss our initial thoughts on the fluff, the models, the paint schemes, the units, and the formations, as well as continually butcher the Laughing God's name.

The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
HERO
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:46 pm

Will check this out tonight bros

http://lkhero.blogspot.com/
nexs
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:05 am

Gotta say that I'm really not too interested in adding the Harlequins into my army. It's unlikely I'd buy the book.
Although the models are nice, and may end up buying one or two just to paint them. Better yet, I could paint them for someone else!

I'm with you, Thor in the thought that the formation lists really seems like they're gunning for folks to spend money buying models. Does making practically all the models in the book mandatory to field a bound list (ie: few people buying many models) equate to more revenue than allowing smaller formations to be taken (ie: many people buying fewer models)?
Back to top Go down
Mushkilla
Arena Champion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:06 am

I imagine there are a lot of people like me not buying harlequin models because there's no way to sensibly field them. Also the voidweaver tax is why I'll never run a harlequin army in and of its self. Ironically in a quest for more money GW as usual has shot themselves in the foot, I doubt these "restrictions" will make them the additional profit they think it will.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:35 pm

I have always imagined Cegorach said the way Thor said it at first.

Anyway, thanks again for your lovely voices to be listened during my free time.
Back to top Go down
Dragontree
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Excellent podcast, great to listen to whilst painting as always.

I've always personally pronounced it 'say-go-rack' but I am now questioning this deeply...

I really enjoy the aside nature of your chats where it loops in and out of anecdote, very entertaining.

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:
it's the Starsky and Hutch venom! but I'm kinda ok with that
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Hate to break it to you, ESE, but the Solitaire doesn't have access to the Crescendo. It would be glorious on a Blitzing Solitaire though.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Btw, just remembered. The Solitaire appears in Path of the Outcast (Gav Thorpe), and does take on a greater daemon (of Slaanesh). A troupe of harlequins and horde of daemonettes were fighting near the two but they paused to watch the duel in harmony.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 am

@Erebus wrote:
Hate to break it to you, ESE, but the Solitaire doesn't have access to the Crescendo. It would be glorious on a Blitzing Solitaire though.
Oh, so when the put those little number thingies next to item (like "1") I'm supposed to actually read the other part of the rule for the item?! Razz

DERP Mad

"Solutions are good, how many dark eldar archons can you find sitting in their throne rooms whining that they used to rule the universe? Exactly."  -The Burning Eye
Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast
My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Wolfsark
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:03 am

Hey guys it's Randall from Facebook! I really appreciated the mentions and thank you for being gentle with my hopes and dreams of the harlequins.

I've been waiting a long time for this episode and it ended up being pretty special. My question is, what would your actual lists look like if you were actually committed to Harlequins as a standalone army? Also, what would a dark eldar list look like if you were committed to adding harlequins as allies?

I noticed you didn't mention the formation with 1 troupe 1 shadowseer and 1 death jester as a unit that gives a crusader bubble to all dark eldar and eldar nearby. I feel like this is definitely the way to go for allies to dark eldar since it is relatively small and adds a great way to utilize a dark eldar HQ. I've really been struggling to find a good spot for a dark eldar HQ since I really dislike finecast (grotesques and incubi) and I'm not too confident in my conversion skills. Harlequins are plastic, they're available (most games stores have no dark eldar at all, and if they do its just a bunch of wyches and void raven bombers) and the models look awesome.

Take a raider as a fast attack and drop an archon or succubus in with the formation. This could be a truly devastating unit. The only problem would be to somehow keep one enemy alive in the assault phase so they don't get shot by your opponents entire army in the aftermath.

Also I'd love a podcast about the necrons In the future. I just played a game against the decurion (reclamation legion + canoptek harvest) and it seemed really unfair.

Anyways, thanks for the consideration and check my project log for some cool new and old stuff!
Back to top Go down
ronin_cse
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am

Listening to it now, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Harlquins!

@Mngwa wrote:
Btw, just remembered. The Solitaire appears in Path of the Outcast (Gav Thorpe), and does take on a greater daemon (of Slaanesh). A troupe of harlequins and horde of daemonettes were fighting near the two but they paused to watch the duel in harmony.

This right here is why, even though the Harlequins aren't amazing, I am still going to be running a force with a Solitaire. That scene was absolutely amazing. I love how even the daemons had to stop fighting to watch. Can't wait to recreate it on the table, although I assume the Solitaire will not last quite as long as in the book Wink
Back to top Go down
Cavalier
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Really enjoyed this episode guys. Great breakdown of the codex and you covered it pretty dang rapidly. The fluff discussion at the beginning was also fantastic. The only thing I think this episode could of used was a match-up discussion for Harlies and allies brainstorming session. I think ESE's point about how scary Harlies can be for MC was really excellent... and definitely the niche I've slated mine for.

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:32 pm

So, I want to take off from Cavs post and also throw my two cents in. I feel that I need to throw in a caveat before i let my fingers go crazy, i get a lot of good inspiration from the show and its helped my DE lists out immensely.

Ok, I think you guys are 70% right about the Flufftasticness of the book and its lack of competitive backbone. Personally I see some real gold here to be mined. First let me toss out two big gripes about the book that I have: a) the Masque Detachment is way too unwieldy to be used efficiently and b) no speacial dudes? With that over let bme get up on my box and pontificate to you alls.

There are several pinning options in here, and pinning is super important to any CC army. Pinned units cant overwatch. The SS ndes and DJ gun can do wonders for you when busting into combat....fearless units, dont charge them if you dont have too. If you are smart, you can use this to keep your liitle fragile dudes alive. Many many people are not taking that into consideration.

This army is certainly not one that should be used like a hammer, more like a shotgun in the back from the shadows. Some of the formations are gnarly good. The Faucous Blade or whatever rerolls failed cover saves....HUGE. So much win. The Cast of Players and battle focus, nice buff. I aso kinda like the big daddy formation; I roll alot of ones. Makes the Solitare nasty and gives you an almost effective 4++ on everything else. If we could get a more reliable sactuary, this thing would be GOLD.

Combo wise, there are all kinds of shenanigans. I tried three seers in a 20 man kab blob and a WWP archon. I had three shrieks with a -4 LD modifier in a fearless blob. The three jesters had -6 to their shots on a few units and could make dudes run off edges. Its just silly. You can also put trueborn with 4 blasters in a starweaver AND....AND have a WWP archon in there. Anybody ask for that ever? Ya, you did bro, now you gots it. One of my all time favorite HQ units is an Autarch on a jebike with Soulshrive. Toss that dude into some skyweavers and have you some fun.

Couple of last thoughts here on the army:
Hay Wire Canons, give them some love and try them. I was surprised at how good they can work. two sets of three and you have some pretty solid parking lot/knights/serpent killing power. Serpents less so with a 3+ cover, but you get the idea.
Troupes, caresses are the bee's knees. If you have a ton of invs grab some embracess and enjoy those free S6 hits....with hit and run I might add.
Voidweavers, jury is still out on this one, abd I am going to say this now...Sleeper Unit.

Many people are looking at a few numbers and not putting them into context with the greater game. Its one of the reasons spaming lictors got a big win. Its not all about punching the guy in the face, its about taking his stuff. Stay focused on getting slaves and loot, and I think this book may open up for you.
Back to top Go down
doriii
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Splintermind Episode 09   Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 pm

as always great episode Very Happy i thought cegorach was pronounced se-goragh. the ch like in achmed Razz
Back to top Go down

Splintermind Episode 09
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Splintermind
-
Jump to: